2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
geogate
geogate

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

CjC wrote:
07 Oct 2023, 20:31
geogate wrote:
07 Oct 2023, 20:14
mega job from piastri - will take a bike ride in a bit to see if they turned on the red mclaren sign
👍🏻 post a pic if you can
wasnt red - maybe the sign man is only day shift - will have a look tomorrow

mwillems

Ground Effect wrote:
07 Oct 2023, 20:59
I remember when just after Bahrain, the expert pundits were suggesting Oscar was regretting moving to McLaren over Alpine.....
Is that in here or on TV? Name and shame! lol
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

thestig84
thestig84

Damon Hill. Actually liked him as a British driver back in the day but a terrible pundit (standard for the majority of SkyF1)

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Tyres for tomorrow:

Piastri
new hard
new medium
6 lap medium
7 lap medium
4 lap soft

Norris
new hard
new medium
6 lap medium
7 lap medium
4 lap soft

Verstappen
new hard
new medium
3 lap medium
3 lap medium

If Pirelli institutes maximum of 20 laps for new tyres, they can run mediums at start, hard in middle and then put on their 6 lap old medium for final 16 laps. I think that fits exactly into 22 laps maximum mandated for "used" tyres.

It would be like this.
0-20, 21-40, 41-57

It seems doable. Verstappen should have an easy 3 stop with his 3 lap old mediums. Not sure why Collins on F1 TV seems to think most of the field will have to do 4 stops.

MTudor
MTudor

Lando must be very frusted right now with Oscar's win!
I mean he tryed for so many years and here comes this kid,and in his first season got the win.
The only comfort for Lando is that it was a Sprint race,but Oscar is still a rookie 😉

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

mwillems wrote:
07 Oct 2023, 20:57
SmallSoldier wrote:
07 Oct 2023, 20:27
Ground Effect wrote:
07 Oct 2023, 20:20

Apparently it is, why is it though? For the life of me, I can't understand it. Constructive criticism is fine, everybody who aims to excel needs that, but bashing for the sake of bashing is just plain stupid...
2 theories:

A) There is people that only live to criticize and are waiting for whichever opportunity they have to do just that
B) Some people’s girlfriends may be saying Lando’s name in some intimate moments and they are not pleased by it :)

It’s undeniable that this hasn’t been a good weekend for Lando, several mistakes that has cost him positions… At the same time, some of the criticism seems a bit much for me… But everyone is entitled to their opinion… It’s just interesting how quickly some that rarely contribute anything in the thread are prone to criticize as soon as mistake is made.
My partner says she would only sleep with Oscar for what it is worth, she says that Lando starts to slowly for her liking and that he's not very good with the wrong rubber.
So she likes a fast starter that burn out half way through? Hmmmm :)

mwillems

thestig84 wrote:
07 Oct 2023, 21:11
Damon Hill. Actually liked him as a British driver back in the day but a terrible pundit (standard for the majority of SkyF1)
Ahh yes. Hates all things Max and RB too.

Bring back Johnny Herbert.

-Bandit

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
07 Oct 2023, 21:24
mwillems wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
07 Oct 2023, 20:27

2 theories:

A) There is people that only live to criticize and are waiting for whichever opportunity they have to do just that
B) Some people’s girlfriends may be saying Lando’s name in some intimate moments and they are not pleased by it :)

It’s undeniable that this hasn’t been a good weekend for Lando, several mistakes that has cost him positions… At the same time, some of the criticism seems a bit much for me… But everyone is entitled to their opinion… It’s just interesting how quickly some that rarely contribute anything in the thread are prone to criticize as soon as mistake is made.
My partner says she would only sleep with Oscar for what it is worth, she says that Lando starts to slowly for her liking and that he's not very good with the wrong rubber.
That's why she loves me! 😄

-Bandit

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

MTudor wrote:
I mean he tryed for so many years and here comes this kid,and in his first season got the win.
The only comfort for Lando is that it was a Sprint race,but Oscar is still a rookie 😉
With the exception of Monza and Sochi 2021, McLaren until this point hasn’t had a car to challenge for wins… But it has to bother him for sure that in a race where a win was possible, he didn’t capitalized on it… Won’t be his last opportunity though

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

mwillems wrote:
07 Oct 2023, 21:26
SmallSoldier wrote:
mwillems wrote:

That’s why she is your better half!

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
07 Oct 2023, 21:27
mwillems wrote:
07 Oct 2023, 21:26
SmallSoldier wrote:

That’s why she is your better half!
It's certainly why she's on antidepressants.

-Bandit

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
07 Oct 2023, 21:27
MTudor wrote:
With the exception of Monza and Sochi 2021, McLaren until this point hasn’t had a car to challenge for wins… But it has to bother him for sure that in a race where a win was possible, he didn’t capitalized on it… Won’t be his last opportunity though
Spa also, but for the weather and the FIA, but that was far from forgone to say a win in the offing.

-Bandit

_cerber1

LionsHeart wrote:
07 Oct 2023, 20:45
_cerber1 wrote:
07 Oct 2023, 20:35
OSCAR MEGA!!! LANDO EVERYTHING WILL COME!!!
I used to see you on turbobazar and didn't even realize you were a McLaren fan. :D

Since 97'

McL-H
McL-H

Oh how fortunate we are with this driver pairing. Amazing drive from Piastri. To win in your rookie season is something only few have done before him. I am sure this will be the first of many for him. He has everything to become a future world champion imo. In fact, I believe he has more potential than Lando. Also, I really like his attitude. Very calm and mature, focused, big winner mentality and I feel he’s very down to earth as well. Mark Webber compared him to Michael Schumacher and I think that comparison is spot on in many aspects.

Look at today. It’s his first win in F1. And obviously he stands there very satisfied, but with an attitude that he aims for a lot more than ”just” a sprint win.

McLaren has got gold in their hands.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

mwillems wrote:
07 Oct 2023, 21:05
Ground Effect wrote:
07 Oct 2023, 20:59
I remember when just after Bahrain, the expert pundits were suggesting Oscar was regretting moving to McLaren over Alpine.....
Is that in here or on TV? Name and shame! lol
:lol: It was the TV guys, the Damon Hill, if I remember correctly.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.