2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
MTudor
MTudor

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

[/quote]

And between pushing maybe trying to get a pole and difficult conditions on the track (green / slippery + windy) can’t really punish the guy… Also, some seem to think that just scrubbing a tenth or two is easy job… Taking it easy could have well placed them in P6 or below… They took a risk for the front row and it didn’t pay off, it happens
[/quote]

I think it's also the pressure from Oscar that slowly,slowly gets to him.

mwillems

MTudor wrote:
07 Oct 2023, 22:16

"And between pushing maybe trying to get a pole and difficult conditions on the track (green / slippery + windy) can’t really punish the guy… Also, some seem to think that just scrubbing a tenth or two is easy job… Taking it easy could have well placed them in P6 or below… They took a risk for the front row and it didn’t pay off, it happens"

I think you may be stretching into his mind a little too much.

You make it sound like he is Colonel Kurtz :D
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

MTudor
MTudor

I would love if Mclaren change PU's for tomorrow and have an aggresive strategy for the race tomorrow.

MTudor
MTudor

mwillems wrote:
07 Oct 2023, 22:39
MTudor wrote:
07 Oct 2023, 22:16

"And between pushing maybe trying to get a pole and difficult conditions on the track (green / slippery + windy) can’t really punish the guy… Also, some seem to think that just scrubbing a tenth or two is easy job… Taking it easy could have well placed them in P6 or below… They took a risk for the front row and it didn’t pay off, it happens"

I think you may be stretching into his mind a little too much.

You make it sound like he is Colonel Kurtz :D
I don't know who Colonel Kurtz is :)))

MCLvamos
MCLvamos

Thoughts on any tracks that may suit us well after this one? I so hope for that Lando win this year, he's had his scruffy moments like this weekend but he doesn't deserve the slander some people are giving him on social media, he's been a top driver for some time now. Just needs to get that first one over the line so he can shut the haters up. Maybe with a crazy race tomorrow? Pretty far-fetched, but one can dream!

billamend
billamend

Interlagos will be interesting.

Dafnalina
Dafnalina

I think Interlagos and Abu Dhabi are our best bets, but unfortunately Qatar was the ONE.
We should do reasonably well in COTA and Mexico, and Vegas will be closer to Monza I guess, but the upgrades might work better

MCLvamos
MCLvamos

any news from pirelli on the tyre situation for tomorrow? unless I've missed it, no new news. So no mandated 3 stop then, although with the deg we saw today you wouldn't bet against at least a 2 stop.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

MCLvamos wrote:
08 Oct 2023, 01:30
any news from pirelli on the tyre situation for tomorrow? unless I've missed it, no new news. So no mandated 3 stop then, although with the deg we saw today you wouldn't bet against at least a 2 stop.
They'll go over the data and inform teams at 14:00 on race day.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Macklaren
Macklaren

Ground Effect wrote:
07 Oct 2023, 21:42
thestig84 wrote:
07 Oct 2023, 21:11
Damon Hill. Actually liked him as a British driver back in the day but a terrible pundit (standard for the majority of SkyF1)
Same here, was a huuuuuuge fan of his, enjoyed his title win after a lot of stress from Schumacher. I wanted him to move to McLaren, after 1996, but I hear Ron didn't think he was worth the amount he was demanding. He's an atrocious pundit though.
Speaking of ex champion pundits, Mika said that "a win was not far away" heading into this weekend. That dude is a time traveler

djos

Epic race from the boys today, and just amazing work by Oscar! First pole and first win in F1! Amazing!
"In downforce we trust"

runningmanz
runningmanz

Fantastic first race win from Oscar! Thought Max was going to get him but he had the pace to hold him off. Amazing stuff from the rookie! 😍👏👍

djos

djos wrote:
29 Dec 2022, 09:48
Who wants to put money on Oscar beating Lando in 23’ and even getting his first win before him?

🥷
I should have put some money on this! :D
"In downforce we trust"

trinidefender
trinidefender

Everyone here seems have a very short memory. People were slagging off on Norris after qualifying 2 weeks ago yet I think we all saw what happened in the race afterwards.

Two points to note.
1. To those saying that piastri was on a worse strategy remember that they only stopped him so early because he was scrubbing his tyres so badly compared to Norris.
2. People who say he just has to learn how to manage his tyres. Managing your tyres is one of the hardest things for a race driver to learn. Generally they learn to drive one lap quickly from previous series. We regularly see rookies coming in and qualifying very close to the much more experienced team mates only to then fall back in the race.

I rate Piastri just as much as the next person but can we please calm down with doom and gloom for Norris. He's not having the best weekend, that's fine. It happens. Doesn't mean he hasn't shown his pace on most weekends.

mclaren111

mwillems wrote:
07 Oct 2023, 21:28
SmallSoldier wrote:
07 Oct 2023, 21:27
mwillems wrote:
07 Oct 2023, 21:26

That's why she loves me! 😄
That’s why she is your better half!
It's certainly why she's on antidepressants.
:lol: =D> =D> :lol: