2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
BMMR61

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Great drive Oscar, not an overuse of the word "great". He had to come back from the George Russell lunge and calmly reassert himself once his tyres had come into the window and Russell's were fading. Really quick, really assured, he's a weapon. Lando has had a really messy weekend so far, it was good to see him knuckle down after getting done over by the Ferraris when he didn't think his racecraft through properly. Then there's the McLaren - absolutely stunningly good. It will be interesting to see if the GP will be frustrating for the drivers out of position, or whether they can use the generous DRS zone to good effect. The runners in P1-5 in front of Oscar are all serious racers but that McLaren just looks perfectly balanced on this circuit.

To the naysayers bagging Lando, he is still the lead McLaren driver and we should heed the scenarios of recent races where Oscar faded quite badly in the races. With the development and understanding the team are bringing to the MCL60B and some quite favourable tracks ahead, there's every reason to hope Lando (and Oscar) will be providing the real competition Max has needed all season. The SkyF1 coverage seemed to miss the point that for once, Max had been beaten fair and square to a better overall package.

geogate
geogate

sheesh - still no red sign for Oscar. Really surprised as they have been doing it just for podiums of late. It's just not on, Mclaren

_cerber1

Is there any data on yesterday's sprint round by round? What was the speed of the riders on medium tires?

mwillems

_cerber1 wrote:
08 Oct 2023, 13:44
Is there any data on yesterday's sprint round by round? What was the speed of the riders on medium tires?
Pretty decent. Landos final sprint lap was 1s slower than his Shootout lap on softs
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

It will be an interesting race for Lando. He is very fast, but will he try "too hard"? It would be quite a statement if he won today.
A lion must kill its prey.

bauc

_cerber1 wrote:
07 Oct 2023, 21:30
LionsHeart wrote:
07 Oct 2023, 20:45
_cerber1 wrote:
07 Oct 2023, 20:35
OSCAR MEGA!!! LANDO EVERYTHING WILL COME!!!
I used to see you on turbobazar and didn't even realize you were a McLaren fan. :D

Since 97'
Same here, Mclaren fan since 97....

Dam the past 15 years since our last championship have been hard but I pray that we are finally starting to come back in a serious manner [-o<
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

mwillems

AR3-GP wrote:
08 Oct 2023, 13:48
It will be an interesting race for Lando. He is very fast, but will he try "too hard"? It would be quite a statement if he won today.
I think he will have a point to prove, he us excellent in races and I'd like to think he can push to be around 6th.

Likewise Oscar will want to keep his momentum, so both drivers with reasons to push forward and do well though I am curious to see how he works his tyres here, I have a feeling Lando and Oscar may swap.

Not sure if he pushes too hard in general, that was yesterday, as I say I think he is generally not as consistent as he can be on a fast lap and now his teammate can challenge him it's more apparent.

Yesterday was the only obvious example of over driving that I recall.

-Bandit

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

FittingMechanics wrote:
07 Oct 2023, 21:13
Tyres for tomorrow:

Piastri
new hard
new medium
6 lap medium
7 lap medium
4 lap soft

Norris
new hard
new medium
6 lap medium
7 lap medium
4 lap soft

Verstappen
new hard
new medium
3 lap medium
3 lap medium

If Pirelli institutes maximum of 20 laps for new tyres, they can run mediums at start, hard in middle and then put on their 6 lap old medium for final 16 laps. I think that fits exactly into 22 laps maximum mandated for "used" tyres.

It would be like this.
0-20, 21-40, 41-57

It seems doable. Verstappen should have an easy 3 stop with his 3 lap old mediums. Not sure why Collins on F1 TV seems to think most of the field will have to do 4 stops.
18 laps max on new tyres. 3 stops minimum.

Not sure about max laps on used,

0-18, 19-37, 38-56

So I guess teams will run about 15 on mediums, 18 on hards, maybe a short stint on softs.

We may get soft starters - good chance of safety cars to prolong life and to get a cheap tyre change.

MCLvamos
MCLvamos

considering where we are starting, surely starting on softs isn't a bad idea. We'd box around lap 7-10, avoid the stampede into the pits of the medium runners, and hopefully undercut a few cars in the process. Thoughts?

MCLvamos
MCLvamos

Think Lando should go for something out of the box. I sniff a tiny chance at a win if we do something different and the chaos works out for us.

MCLvamos
MCLvamos

Perhaps S-H-M-M if we're trying to run in clear air to show our pace?

mwillems

MCLvamos wrote:
08 Oct 2023, 14:31
considering where we are starting, surely starting on softs isn't a bad idea. We'd box around lap 7-10, avoid the stampede into the pits of the medium runners, and hopefully undercut a few cars in the process. Thoughts?

Softs force us to pit even if there is no gap to slot into, they also leave us with less strategy choices if there is a SC. I'm expecting meds, but we will see.

-Bandit

geogate
geogate

Presumably, a medium with 6 laps has only had 2 push laps

MCLvamos
MCLvamos

geogate wrote:
08 Oct 2023, 14:37
Presumably, a medium with 6 laps has only had 2 push laps
yeah, also a couple aborted laps so our tyre age isn't that much worse than Max on those mediums.

MCLvamos
MCLvamos

Just realised, we only have 2 useable mediums so starting on the soft is probably our best bet imo..