2023 Qatar Grand Prix - Lusail, Oct 06 - 08

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Re: 2023 Qatar Grand Prix - Lusail, Oct 06 - 08

Interesting:
The fastest in sector 2
In the main race it will be much more difficult for the Haas drivers from starting positions 15 and 19 to top up their points account. The US racing team secretly hopes that a three-stop race will become mandatory. That would alleviate the problem with severe tire wear somewhat. Although, according to Hülkenberg, it's less bad than expected: "Here in Qatar, the front tires are the limiting factor. Our sore point is more the rear tires."

Hülkenberg just doesn't want to touch the soft tires under any circumstances. Better a used medium set. “Our soft is flat after five laps,” fears the Rhinelander, who put an exclamation mark in the sprint shootout. In both SQ2 and SQ3, Hülkenberg set the best time in the second sector. “I have no idea why,” wondered operations chief Ayao Komatsu. "We lose in turns 1, 2, 12 and 13. But Nico flew between turns 5 and 10."

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... erez-ocon/

dialtone
dialtone

DGP123 wrote:
Sieper wrote:
08 Oct 2023, 16:07
djones wrote:
08 Oct 2023, 15:53
Probably all just a test to try an idea for next season.

This year has been such a one horse race they need to do something in fairness. From a business point of view it’s horrific for F1 at the moment.
It has been a fantastic year, with dominance, great racing, close midfield with changes in which teams were doing better, spectacular races, ditto qualies, all time records set. And it isn’t even over yet. Plus f1 is growing from a business perspective as well, teams are profitable.
Great racing. Spectacular races

You watching videos of previous years?
He’s sarcastic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sieper

It’s just the usual crowd mourning again.

organic

Just saw that there will be an 18-lap limit on tyres. What a joke

FW17

Finally a 3 stop dry race. It is going to be awesome.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Has any car actually done 18 continuous green flag laps this weekend? FP1 was far too short for any long runs. The sprint had 10-12 green flag laps at best considering the timing of the SC and when some cars actually slow down.

We could still see tire failures.

Wouter

DGP123 wrote:
08 Oct 2023, 16:08
Sieper wrote:
djones wrote:

This year has been such a one horse race they need to do something in fairness. From a business point of view it’s horrific for F1 at the moment.
It has been a fantastic year, with dominance, great racing, close midfield with changes in which teams were doing better, spectacular races, ditto qualies, all time records set. And it isn’t even over yet. Plus f1 is growing from a business perspective as well, teams are profitable.
Great racing. Spectacular races 😂

You watching videos of previous years?
It seems you didn't watch this year! Very close midfield racing and qualifying with different outcome race after raceweekend.
Oh wait, you just watched who was winning. Now I understand.
The Power of Dreams!

CaribouBread
CaribouBread

AR3-GP wrote:
08 Oct 2023, 16:22
Has any car actually done 18 continuous green flag laps this weekend? FP1 was far too short for any long runs. The sprint had 10-12 green flag laps at best considering the timing of the SC and when some cars actually slow down.

We could still see tire failures.
Exactly what I'm fearing! They looked at Sprint tyres that ran what 10 laps in heat? And still got spooked. Hopefully the tyres last.

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

Sieper wrote:
djones wrote:

I don't think it's been a fantastic year given all races, bar one, have been one by the same team, and there's no intra-battle in this team. We had FIA inconsistency throughout the year to add to that.
Also, the car are heavier and less spectacular to see than for example in 2004 given that year was not so good in terms of competition.

But you are right to highlight the fact that we had super close battle and developments between AM, Ferrari, Merc, McLaren & even Alpine sometimes. It's just pitty that it's not for the win.

basti313
basti313

Mogster wrote:
08 Oct 2023, 12:37
basti313 wrote:
08 Oct 2023, 11:07
djones wrote:
07 Oct 2023, 19:55
3 safety cars in a sprint what a joke.
I have been posting this here since more than a year: It simply calls for a penalty if someone is unable to park his car right and causes a Safety Car.

Yesterday was not even as bad on causing SC without reason as in the past, but still...Sar, Law, Per and Oco...all stupid driving. You may argue, that Per was not at fault (arguable if you stick your car on the outside of two other cars), but all others made their own bed. Especially Sargeant was not even beached, he simply switched off the car without reason. That would have been well deserved 3 places grid drops for all destroying big parts of the Sprint.

I would be for a very simple rule:
- If a SC is needed to remove your car -> 3 places for the next race.
- If a SC is needed to remove parts from (only) your car -> 3 places for the next race.
Only exception if you are crashed out, the other driver receives a pen and there was no chance to get the car to a safe place -> 3 places for the one causing the crash.

This rule would bring the SC likelihood strongly down...
Sometimes there are issues with bad parking. However, the teams may have told the drivers to shut down to avoid a nasty repair bill.
Yes, exactely this is the point. They can either risk a repair bill and go to a safe exit or they switch it off immediately and go back three places. I do not see what speaks against this choice?
Today they just switch it off and do not give any $hit.
Mogster wrote:
08 Oct 2023, 12:37
Also do you really want drivers staying on track with a damaged car, shedding fluids or carbon? A pointless attempt to leave a gravel trap can deposit gravel on the circuit. Any of these situations can bring out an SC.
This is why you need the second sentence: If they spill oil or parts they also go back three places. You should not miss, that they neither need to go back to the pits nor leave the gravel. If they know where the save exits are, they simply go into the save exit. For example...we never saw a car backing up into an exit. They just switch off and go away...because it simply does not matter.

Of course...a situation like Magnussen where the engine blows in the middle of the straight (I think it was Q?) is unfortunate...but then he goes back 3 places, and nothing happened. Just because of 2-3 unfortunate cases...I would say that more than 50% of the SC can be avoided or reduced to a short VSC if the driver just tries to.
Don`t russel the hamster!

PinkFloydPulse

In theory should be 4 stints of qualy laps for all and no tire savings, just go as fast as possible on thise mediums and hards…
Team Fernando!

Sieper

Will it have to be exactly after 18 laps? That will give chaotic situations in the pit.

basti313
basti313

chrisc90 wrote:
07 Oct 2023, 22:53
Current usage
https://i.ibb.co/5jMXXb8/Screenshot-202 ... 202551.png

However your effectively left with this, to make a 3 stopper. Other tyres are there, but you wouldnt get the full 15laps out of them to maximise a 3 stopper.
https://i.ibb.co/vmMch5D/Screenshot-202 ... 203258.png

Tyre lap use to present.

(I thought I posted it earlier as part of my initial diagrams - seemingly not)
Hi Chris,
sorry, maybe that was explained earlier, but I do not find it:
What do the brackets mean? You sometimes use a 7 and somtimes a (7)?
Don`t russel the hamster!

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

PinkFloydPulse wrote:
08 Oct 2023, 16:28
In theory should be 4 stints of qualy laps for all and no tire savings, just go as fast as possible on thise mediums and hards…
I don't think so. In theory the teams should be concerned that the tires will fail within those 18 laps. Drivers will probably be told to stay off the curbs which will limit the pace quite a bit.

organic

AR3-GP wrote:
08 Oct 2023, 16:39
PinkFloydPulse wrote:
08 Oct 2023, 16:28
I don't think so. In theory the teams should be concerned that the tires will fail within those 18 laps. Drivers will probably be told to stay off the curbs which will limit the pace quite a bit.
I believe the 18 lap limit will be taking into account the propensity for teams/drivers to always push for laptime