2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

mwillems wrote:
08 Oct 2023, 22:04
In the fastest laps for Max, Lando and Oscar, the difference was only in top speed, over the rest of the lap it was comparable.

https://i.ibb.co/j84ZZ3M/Fastest-Lap-Qatar.png
I take it all those fast laps were without drs? I'm impressed with Max's top speed.

bauc

Well executed race, I'm proud of how the team turned around this season.

Fingers crossed we can keep this momentum to the end of the season and towards 2024.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

mwillems

Interesting fact.

Since Italy, we have gained 104 points in the constructors to Red Bulls 74 and Since Italy we are the number 1 constructor in points gain.

Think on that for a while.

Low speed upgrade my arse! :mrgreen:
Last edited by mwillems on 08 Oct 2023, 22:14, edited 2 times in total.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Emag wrote:
08 Oct 2023, 21:40
Looking at post race interviews, Leclerc acknowledged that they did not expect McLaren to be as strong as they were here. With kind of a shocked face when prompted by the interviewer regarding McLaren's pace he said "McLaren is very strong".

Post race, even though he finished behind Russell, he asked for the gap to McLaren. When his engineer told him it was over 30s, his response was "Oh my god".

Ferrari is a bit too far to catch at this point, but still, it feels good to be acknowledged by a team which started last year as the favorite for the championship, and also this year, has been completely out of reach for the better part of the season for McLaren.
I'll tell you more, for the most part I only followed Leclerc for the first half of the race, then switched my attention to Lando and Oscar. Then I look at the final minutes and I don't understand how Lando and Charles got 30 seconds between them. That's impressive, too. :D

mwillems

LionsHeart wrote:
08 Oct 2023, 22:07
mwillems wrote:
In the fastest laps for Max, Lando and Oscar, the difference was only in top speed, over the rest of the lap it was comparable.

I take it all those fast laps were without drs? I'm impressed with Max's top speed.
I didn't look, certainly we were comparable in all the corners, Max probably had DRS on the straight, he was so much faster than us.

-Bandit

mwillems

mwillems wrote:
08 Oct 2023, 22:11
Interesting fact.

Since Italy, we have gained 104 points in the constructors to Red Bulls 74 and Since Italy we are the number 1 constructor in points gain.

Makes you wonder if Mclaren will bring the end to Checo's RB career.

-Bandit

bauc

I just noticed we are only 11 points behind AM in the constructors championship, lets take that P4 boys, and go top 3 next year!
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Emag wrote:
Looking at post race interviews, Leclerc acknowledged that they did not expect McLaren to be as strong as they were here. With kind of a shocked face when prompted by the interviewer regarding McLaren's pace he said "McLaren is very strong".

Post race, even though he finished behind Russell, he asked for the gap to McLaren. When his engineer told him it was over 30s, his response was "Oh my god".

Ferrari is a bit too far to catch at this point, but still, it feels good to be acknowledged by a team which started last year as the favorite for the championship, and also this year, has been completely out of reach for the better part of the season for McLaren.
Remember that Leclerc/Sainz were saying after Japan that they will be worried if McLaren is as fast in Qatar as it was in Japan. They felt it was track specific and that Ferrari will bounce back. I guess they are worried now.

I think the car made a big jump in Singapore - they probably have second best car on all tracks now.
mwillems wrote:
08 Oct 2023, 22:14
mwillems wrote:
Interesting fact.

This is what I was thinking earlier this season. Red Bull had such a dominant season that Perez being weak did not put Verstappen under pressure - he had such a gap each race he could easily win alone. If McLaren or other team can be in the ballpark at the start of next season, they could put Verstappen under pressure by being able to run two different strategies. Red Bull may need to do some hard thinking whether to replace Perez after the season or maybe have a backup plan if the season starts without a big advantage for them.

mwillems

FittingMechanics wrote:
08 Oct 2023, 22:19
Emag wrote:

Remember that Leclerc/Sainz were saying after Japan that they will be worried if McLaren is as fast in Qatar as it was in Japan. They felt it was track specific and that Ferrari will bounce back. I guess they are worried now.

I think the car made a big jump in Singapore - they probably have second best car on all tracks now.
We have gained 40% or 30 points more than RB since and including Singapore. If it stays like this then next year we would win the constructors.
Obviously next year will have different cars, but you get the point.

-Bandit

mwillems

FittingMechanics wrote:
Emag wrote:

mwillems wrote:
08 Oct 2023, 22:14
mwillems wrote:
Interesting fact.

This is what I was thinking earlier this season. Red Bull had such a dominant season that Perez being weak did not put Verstappen under pressure - he had such a gap each race he could easily win alone. If McLaren or other team can be in the ballpark at the start of next season, they could put Verstappen under pressure by being able to run two different strategies. Red Bull may need to do some hard thinking whether to replace Perez after the season or maybe have a backup plan if the season starts without a big advantage for them.
How can they keep him when on the basis of these three races they will struggle to retain the constructors? Some tough choices at the end of the year, good job we have both our guys tied down. We need to get Lando tied down now if he's happy to sign a new deal.

-Bandit

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

mwillems wrote:
08 Oct 2023, 22:24
How can they keep him when on the basis of these three races they will struggle to retain the constructors? Some tough choices at the end of the year, good job we have both our guys tied down. We need to get Lando tied down now if he's happy to sign a new deal.
They probably started development on 2024 car earlier than McLaren.

They are known to change drivers mid season. Maybe they will give Perez chance at the start of next year - if they have a dominant car all is good. If they do not then switch to someone from AT.

Macklaren
Macklaren

bauc wrote:
I just noticed we are only 11 points behind AM in the constructors championship, lets take that P4 boys, and go top 3 next year!
I think P3 may be on the cards as well. Need to outscore Ferrari by 16 points per race for the rest of the season

Mansell89
Mansell89

Fantastic from McLaren- heck of a second half to the season and obviously two excellent young drivers.

Still some way to go to get Max’s Red Bull but hopefully we can make another step in the winter to get him worried.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

There's a point here: Bottas ran his last segment of the race on a used hard for 18 laps. If the set is used, he did at least 19 laps on them, right? What do you mean, he should be penalized? Does anyone know any more information?

Juzh

LionsHeart wrote:
08 Oct 2023, 22:07
mwillems wrote:

Ver had drs off of tsunoda