[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2023 (Grand Prix Cars)

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
BlueCheetah66
BlueCheetah66

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2023 (Grand Prix Cars)

Round 4 car for HRT 2.0. A lot more proud of the development between last race and this one, but given how underwhelming the change between the fast simulation and longer simulation has been in the past two rounds for me I won't get my hopes up too high.

yinlad

BlueCheetah66 wrote:
07 Oct 2023, 15:06
https://i.imgur.com/c1Qr7Un.png

Round 4 car for HRT 2.0. A lot more proud of the development between last race and this one, but given how underwhelming the change between the fast simulation and longer simulation has been in the past two rounds for me I won't get my hopes up too high.
I'm getting a hint of Aston Martin about those side pods. Do I spot a slide?
MVRC - Panthera

HermesMotorsport

Here's my car for the next race. Higher downforce package but still far from the optimum. I hope to have solved the cooling issues #-o and finish the race this time :)

BlueCheetah66
BlueCheetah66

yinlad wrote:
08 Oct 2023, 12:20
BlueCheetah66 wrote:
07 Oct 2023, 15:06
https://i.imgur.com/c1Qr7Un.png

I'm getting a hint of Aston Martin about those side pods. Do I spot a slide?
You do indeed

Ft5fTL

I finaly get rid of the last years car entirely. The new bodywork gave me around -0.5 cl gain compared to the old one so im very happy on that. What i'm not happy is the floor performance. I could not break into the -3.0 cl target on the floor (+plank) that i set after Monza. Overall the car should have cl/cd around -3.35.

Mantium Challenge - Pure Power Racing

Busor
Busor

Firstly I want to say that those cars already shown for Round 4 all look like very nice steps forward, I'm really curious how it turns out.

As my car is generally quite new, I had a lot of areas to improve, so here is my car for Race 4:

Quite some changes, as I could finally concentrate on performance after my cooling was good for the last race. In detail:

Frontwing:
heavily reshaped profiles for flow distribution and balance
Front Floor:
repositioned outer fence, inner fences got a concept change, together with a shape adjustment of the floor leading edge and side edge. Should lead to a cleaner main floor vortex.
Sidepods/Enginecover:
Also a complete redesign. Wider sidepods, smaller inlet, larger louvers to be able to close to outlet down. Engine cover helped with drag and generally a cleaner flow towards the rear.
Diffusor:
Optimized volume and shape towards the beamwing, small cutout control the main vortex blowup.
Rearwing:
Some of the high downforce profiles I didn't put on the car before Monza, mainly a much more aggressive mainplane, flap and beamwing. Not quite happy with the overall rear of the car though.

Should be a nice step forward, but as my correlation wasn't good until now I'm not risking any prediction. Mostly concerned about balance at this point.
Busor

yinlad

G-raph wrote:
07 Oct 2023, 00:10
It is not that, I'm afraid.
This has been bothering me! So the only other things that I can see would be

1) Top side fence before diffuser, but I don't see that on anyone else's car.
2) Mid floor edge volume mini-fences similar to CAE runs.

If it's neither of those, please just tell me :D
MVRC - Panthera

CAEdevice

G-raph wrote:
05 Oct 2023, 22:52

Finally... bonus points for whoever finds the cheeky innovation / loophole that I have stolen from another competitor!

Good luck everyone!
Additional floor winglet?

variante

No major visible change, so i'll compensate with slightly fancier renders.

Development has been focused on floor performance. Especially, on using more conservative vortex structures, hoping to find better correlation with the official simulations. We shall see if such updates work at all...
I reckon there's still a lot of performance to be unlocked. The unanswered question is how.

Nice improvements from everybody else.
Yinlad has introduced a number of interesting details (sculpted engine cover, 2008 style chimneys, RW flap, etc.)
BlueCheetah66 seems to have a mature car in his hands, ready to score many points.
And Ft5fTL must have made a deal with the devil: sacrificed aesthetics in exchange for some sweet GRaph performance.

CAEdevice

This is my car for the next race. I'm not satisfied with the results (not sure to be among to five cars), but I preferred to anticipate some changes (or rather, some simplifications) to prioritize the objective of winning a race (the next one) over the impossible victory in the championship. Most likely I would have "squeezed" a few more Newtons of downforce by evolving the previous concept, but this is more promising.

yinlad

CAEdevice wrote:
09 Oct 2023, 15:06
This is my car for the next race. I'm not satisfied with the results (not sure to be among to five cars), but I preferred to anticipate some changes (or rather, some simplifications) to prioritize the objective of winning a race (the next one) over the impossible victory in the championship. Most likely I would have "squeezed" a few more Newtons of downforce by evolving the previous concept, but this is more promising.

https://www.caedevice.net/SERVER/MVRC/2 ... 4_COTA.png
#TeamChimney =D>
MVRC - Panthera

CAEdevice

yinlad wrote:
09 Oct 2023, 16:18
CAEdevice wrote:

#TeamChimney =D>
Yes! They allow me to focus on sidpods design, I might replace them with conventional louvres or to go back to my original outlets once the sidepods profiles are optimized (I know, it's bit too late to optimize...)

G-raph

yinlad wrote:
09 Oct 2023, 11:15
2) Mid floor edge volume mini-fences similar to CAE runs.
CAEdevice wrote:
09 Oct 2023, 11:18
Additional floor winglet?
That's it, you both win! (Yinlad was 3min faster, but had several attempts...)
The fence that is not a fence, seen last race on CAE's car.

To be fair I thought about that some time ago, but it was on in inboard part of the floor. I never managed to make it work. Somehow, I never thought about using it on the outboard, which allows slotted fences for free.

variante wrote:
09 Oct 2023, 14:20
Development has been focused on floor performance. Especially, on using more conservative vortex structures, hoping to find better correlation with the official simulations. We shall see if such updates work at all...
So you've gone for cleaner floor structures, I have gone for more aggressive ones. Either we started at opposite ends and will meet in the middle, or our paths will diverge. In any case, this will be fascinating.

variante wrote:
09 Oct 2023, 14:20
And Ft5fTL must have made a deal with the devil: sacrificed aesthetics in exchange for some sweet GRaph performance.
Haha, I'll take that as a compliment! But that's a bit harsh for PurePower, as I think his sidepods looks gorgeous, certainly much nicer than mine. I'm actually jaleous.

Anyway, that's very nice to see all cars evolving well. That challenge is alive.

Koldskaal

yinlad wrote:
09 Oct 2023, 16:18
CAEdevice wrote:

#TeamChimney =D>
The superior cooling solution 8)
MVRC - Koldskaal, name: Christian

LVDH

Now, you can also have a look at the other cars:
https://mantiumchallenge.com/cars-mvrc-cota-2023/