2023 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Spoutnik
Spoutnik

Re: 2023 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

ringo wrote:
08 Oct 2023, 22:39
Looking on it, Lewis was in a pretty tough position to judge how much room to leave. It's similar to gasly hulk and perez.
Drivers wont know how much space 3 cars need.
Russel should not have got his elbows out at the start if he knew lewis was on the faster tyre. The problems initiated there.
Lewis at fault yes, but it was nip and tuck to judge room for 3 and try to stay on a quick line.

The good thing with this is he gets a wake up call for the remaining races.
Wake up call about what ?

ringo

Spoutnik wrote:
08 Oct 2023, 22:50
ringo wrote:
08 Oct 2023, 22:39
Looking on it, Lewis was in a pretty tough position to judge how much room to leave. It's similar to gasly hulk and perez.
Drivers wont know how much space 3 cars need.
Russel should not have got his elbows out at the start if he knew lewis was on the faster tyre. The problems initiated there.
Lewis at fault yes, but it was nip and tuck to judge room for 3 and try to stay on a quick line.

The good thing with this is he gets a wake up call for the remaining races.
Wake up call about what ?
Treat Russel like his most staunch competitor and to keep his eyes open when it comes to Russel.
Also to sort out his qualifying. He would not be in this mess if he was ahead.
For Sure!!

ringo

dans79 wrote:
08 Oct 2023, 22:49
Great post. Another driver knows what the situation was. P-1 was there and Lewis saw the chance.
For Sure!!

r85
r85

Can't blame George here. He had to pull out of the slipstream from Max and even if he wanted to back off to let Lewis through, Fernando would have overtaken him on the inside. It was a tough situation for both drivers but it's more on Lewis here.

Hopefully Lewis pulls himself together considering how many potential points today's mistake and his current qualifying form have cost him.

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Spoutnik wrote:
08 Oct 2023, 23:30
They never miss a PR moment. :lol:
A lion must kill its prey.

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

r85 wrote:
08 Oct 2023, 23:10
Can't blame George here. He had to pull out of the slipstream from Max and even if he wanted to back off to let Lewis through, Fernando would have overtaken him on the inside. It was a tough situation for both drivers but it's more on Lewis here.

Hopefully Lewis pulls himself together considering how many potential points today's mistake and his current qualifying form have cost him.
I think we have to be more forgiving with Lewis. I can't think of many occasions this year were he didn't maximize the point haul really. Without his incredible consistency we wouldn't be talking about defending 2nd place in the WCC

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Toto is absent for 2 GP and in both GP, Hamilton and Russell cannot seem to play a long. :-k

If I didn't know any better...I'd say no more working from home for Toto...

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

That was quite a strong recovery from GR. Merc was well clear of Ferrari and Aston here.

TFSA

ringo wrote:
08 Oct 2023, 23:04
Great post. Another driver knows what the situation was. P-1 was there and Lewis saw the chance.
And then he botched it. So what's the point?

You can't predict how a start will go, and you can't expect Russell to just Grandma it off the line, nor constantly keep an eye on whether or not Lewis got a great start (he could fail). Turn 1 is always chaos, and you can only ask so much of your teammate in regards to playing the team game. In fact, i can't recall ever having seen anyone play the team game at the start (or standing restart) of a race. There's simply too much going on to expect that to work out.

We agree that Lewis had the chance - at least for P2. But he still failed the execution. And it certainly wasn't Russells fault.

Farnborough
Farnborough

Lewis is stuck with acceptance of this one, he was in the GR position Silverstone 21 and gave his opinion there. To go against that now, from being in the MV track position (in 21 event) would completely contradict his "view" then given.

Overall a "team" ballsup collectively, when good points and position were easily on the table too.

Only serious to them in points lost, but not really that huge a deal. I'm sure they'll move on as GR has commented.

basti313
basti313

Farnborough wrote:
09 Oct 2023, 09:27
Lewis is stuck with acceptance of this one, he was in the GR position Silverstone 21 and gave his opinion there. To go against that now, from being in the MV track position (in 21 event) would completely contradict his "view" then given.
Yes, we should settle this narrative. Just to spice things up here. =D>
Farnborough wrote:
09 Oct 2023, 09:27
Overall a "team" ballsup collectively, when good points and position were easily on the table too.

Only serious to them in points lost, but not really that huge a deal. I'm sure they'll move on as GR has commented.
Well...it is not. Or no longer...
Lewis vs. Checo: Now 30 points and 5 races to go. Although Checo screwed up as good as he could, the average point gain by Lewis means it decides on the last race. We know how good Checo is at Abu, but still, I think this one is gone if Checo has only one or two decent races that he finishes ahead of Lewis.

Ferrari vs. Benz: Same picture here. My feeling is that Ferrari might do well in Austin and Mexico. Maybe also in Vegas because of the bumps. But Brazil and Abu will be Merc country. So very unlikely that they can overcome the 28 points.
Don`t russel the hamster!

Farnborough
Farnborough

I feel it would be hypocritical for LH to say otherwise though, given such similar contact layout.

Genuinely feel that if GR had his "pragmatic" head on, that he should have blended out of that one regardless of what his desire was. It would have been helpful to both of them in this, a compromised, situation.

For those saying he can't react to this event, then position GR as a very good racing driver, offer naive view in the extreme. It was within his gift, and definitely skillset, to do so and further both their success, if that's the goal :D

The remainder of this season is much more important in development terms to them now, in the exploration of any concept shift that can feed the next car development.

I can understand the public face of saying they want to chase the 2nd in WCC and WDC position, I dont feel that it's productive to absolutely chase that though. It should be information gathering at its most intensive (as LH has indicated with his six month statement) and let the points outcome be whatever is tge result.

The focus is different, the prise now is next year not this one. Hell for leather after defining that next period of development, else they'll be left just with excuses again.

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

I think often RUS is about maximising a bit too much. Not a bad skill but it shows up and goes wrong sometimes. He wanted to also get past VER and thought by staying alongside he’d have a chance too. Sadly 3 into 1 didn’t quite go and the whole idea came unstuck in a heartbeat. I don’t blame him for being opportunistic but it came back to bite here. They clearly had a chat about this scenario and rather than take just HAM into the lead and getting 2/3rds of the pie, he thought to go for the final slice too.

Agh it’s racing and you can’t tell these alphas to just back off. In the history of teammates it very rarely happens to just say “after you sir”

ThijsMuis
ThijsMuis