2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
diffuser

Re: 2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

PinkFloydPulse wrote:
08 Oct 2023, 20:53
diffuser wrote:
08 Oct 2023, 20:44
F1doc wrote:
08 Oct 2023, 20:37
Yet another non-points finish from Stroll. He might have scored if he kept to track limits.

Let's see what penalty Alonso gets for an unsafe track rejoin.

McLaren have 4th in the Constructors if this is to continue.
Starting to think they're just pulling us along, we will not see anymore upgrades...
feel the same.. that Krack is just full of crap... Honestly, they deserve to be overhauled by Macca because they did a piss poor job in development over the year unlike Macca... PLUS Stroll not scoring at all...
I think they have some bottleneck at the the new plant. I've said this before, they're gonna have 4 Carbon fiber cookers, they bought 2 new ones but sent the ones from the old plant to get refurbished. Not sure how long that takes. I presume they're going with 4 cause that's what the big teams have. Obviously they can't bring parts as fast with 2 cookers than you can with 4. That's just what I remember from the factory update video, who knows what else can be holding them up. For design, I'm sure you just walk over with your laptop, plug it and away you go. Don't think it's that simple for manufacturing.

diffuser

OnEcRiTiCaL wrote:
08 Oct 2023, 20:51
jofs89 wrote:
08 Oct 2023, 20:27
GoranF1 wrote:
08 Oct 2023, 19:53
Not that much slower than Mclaren and Mercedes on race pace here
1 second a lap slower than the McLaren's on a faster tyre with similar tyre life at the moment...
Aston had decent race pace here P4 could be possible if Alonso doesn't shave the floor with his mistake. Much better than in Suzuka.
Hard to tell, I think he certainly would have kept Leclerc behind, not sure about Russell.

KimiRai
KimiRai

new parts should arrive for the next races so let's see, austin or Mexico, most likely at least one of the two. if not then I'll agree with some of you that Krack would have been lying for about two months.
Last edited by KimiRai on 09 Oct 2023, 07:28, edited 3 times in total.

diffuser

KimiRai wrote:
08 Oct 2023, 22:19
balance lost after mid season + lower downforce than the other teams = holding a knife with one finger on a tightrope, not surprised a mistake happened. We now know this is what makes Stroll not able to exit Q1 and not get into the points for God knows how many races now.

Regardless P6 better result than last races on a track without upgrades, not that bad
Yep.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

They definitely had the pace to beat Ferrari. Good fortune with the Mercs...

Jambier

Painful end of season… a bit better than previous races but still being dominated by McLaren hurts

Jambier

I really hope that finishing 5th in constructor they will USE extra CFD

This year is a big regret in term of development compare to the other.

Maybe they have use it for 2024 car but I’m not sure

OnEcRiTiCaL
OnEcRiTiCaL

KimiRai wrote:
09 Oct 2023, 03:44
new parts should arrive for the next races so let's see, austin or Mexico, most likely at least one of the two. if not then I'll agree with some of you that Krack would have been lying for about two months.
I'm pretty sure they made a lot of upgrades. The question is why we didn't seen them? Since Canada (after Monaco) Aston changed the front wing concept because of FIA. After the upgrades just didn't came. How I know the reason is was ,because those upgrades only was working with the old front wing . Since they not allowed to use the old front wing concept, they couldn't use the upgrades also.

Andres125sx

multisync wrote:
09 Oct 2023, 08:54
Alonso is taking no prisoners and driving for his own ego
Like any other F1 driver, or actually any other racing driver, from any category?

multisync wrote:
(no fault, issue or surprise there)
No fault, but you still wrote he drive for his own ego

Alonso is doing his job, remarkably well btw, the only reason to mention ego is if you are willing to put him down some way.

No reason for that mate, he's saving AM season with a performance not even his fans did expect at his age

What would people say about AM if we remove Alonso's results and take Lance results, or a bit better, as AM real performance?

Slahinki
Slahinki

Andres125sx wrote:
09 Oct 2023, 11:30
multisync wrote:
Like any other F1 driver, or actually any other racing driver, from any category?

multisync wrote:

Alonso is doing his job, remarkably well btw, the only reason to mention ego is if you are willing to put him down some way.

No reason for that mate, he's saving AM season with a performance not even his fans did expect at his age

What would people say about AM if we remove Alonso's results and take Lance results, or a bit better, as AM real performance?
Really makes you think about the RP20 considering what it's drivers have shown to be capable of since...

issey
issey

Stroll was passing out in the race and probably in this clip, his head bangs against the headrest and his hand drops from the steering wheel

diffuser

multisync wrote:
diffuser wrote:
09 Oct 2023, 03:23
alonsofan wrote:
09 Oct 2023, 03:04
Is Stroll plannig to sell the team? Brings more uncertainty and instability to the team in my opinion.
Stroll said no. Doesn't stop people from talking about it though. You can't believe everything you hear.
Including what Stroll says of course...

IMHO Stroll bought the team mainly for his son to 'prove' he's a world champion . That has been shown to be slightly optimistic. He's sticking with his son but he's also saying they will be challenging for the top.

From the results it's pretty obvious it's impossible to do both. Lance mixed it with Vettel (who drove well within his limits) and hence flattered lance's ability. Alonso is taking no prisoners and driving for his own ego (no fault, issue or surprise there) and lance has mentally fell off a cliff because of that.

So Stroll by defining two opposite aims has painted himself into a corner, he's not stupid enough to not realise Lance is the weak link but again that's the primary reason he bought the team and invested so much money.

Therefore again IMHO:
His blame free exit is to reluctantly accept an offer from the Saudi's for the team and leave himself free to concentrate on the road car side..

We shall see....
I'm no psychologist and even if I was, I don't I know Lawrence enough to make that kind of leap. Before Lawrence bought Race Point, Lance was a pay driver for Williams. Lawrence didn't have to buy a team. He could have kept supporting his son that way. In all his business adventures, he always bought low and sold high. An argument could be made that he just saw an opportunity to make Money , with race point value being so low and the F1 CAP being on the horizon.

I know when Lawrence was asked this recently if the team was for sale, his answer was something along the effect "No, F1 is on fire now, why would I sell now?"
Last edited by diffuser on 09 Oct 2023, 13:30, edited 2 times in total.

basti313
basti313

Andres125sx wrote:
09 Oct 2023, 11:30
multisync wrote:

multisync wrote:

Well, do not make too much out of this comment.

The reality is:
- When the car was not competitive the drivers do not make a big difference. We have seen many examples in 2021 be it Williams, Haas or Alfa in second half...you are just arbitrarily fighting for some points, for something around P10. That made Stroll look more decent than he is.
- When the car is competitive, the driver makes the difference. We see this now in RedBull, we saw it on other teams in the past. Stroll does not overcome fighting about P10.
- Stroll missed the start of the season/the testing. That hurts additionally, we already saw this years ago with Webber on his bike crash...you simply can not do a competitive season with a compromised health and fitness.

So I think it is definitely not "ego", it is simply the difference between one of the top drivers and a compromised amateur.
Don`t russel the hamster!

diffuser

OnEcRiTiCaL wrote:
09 Oct 2023, 10:02
KimiRai wrote:
I'm pretty sure they made a lot of upgrades. The question is why we didn't seen them? Since Canada (after Monaco) Aston changed the front wing concept because of FIA. After the upgrades just didn't came. How I know the reason is was ,because those upgrades only was working with the old front wing . Since they not allowed to use the old front wing concept, they couldn't use the upgrades also.
Aside from the Canada upgrades, that were manufactured at the old plant, we've really just seen the tweak to the Canadian upgrade side pods. Everything else we've seen is sight specific (cooling related), brake duct or FIA mandated.

Am I wrong?

organic

diffuser wrote:
09 Oct 2023, 13:41
OnEcRiTiCaL wrote:
09 Oct 2023, 10:02
KimiRai wrote:
Aside from the Canada upgrades, that were manufactured at the old plant, we've really just seen the tweak to the Canadian upgrade side pods. Everything else we've seen is sight specific (cooling related), brake duct or FIA mandated.

Am I wrong?
I was under the impression that the Zandvoort floor was entirely new although going back more towards pre-canada ideas