2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

avantman wrote:
09 Oct 2023, 20:10
mwillems wrote:
09 Oct 2023, 14:24
I mean, that's a hugely backhanded compliment. The size of the compliment is equal to the size of the slap it gives Checo, given that Max is arguably the best driver on the grid right now.
Not at all, he was talking about rival teams - Ferrari, Mercedes, Mclaren, Aston, not meaning all teams including red bull.
But the comparison is to Red Bull, naturally. Since I made that statement there are several articles of RB saying just as much as what I did, so it seems pretty much bang on to be honest.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

mwillems

FittingMechanics wrote:
09 Oct 2023, 21:02
Macklaren wrote:
09 Oct 2023, 15:08
Spoutnik wrote:
09 Oct 2023, 14:57

On another note

https://x.com/FormulaStats_/status/1711 ... 81482?s=20
Is the RBR data Max only or avg with Checo?
It has to be Max only. Perez was much slower.
It's worth Noting that Norris was doing a controlled push to get to the front and that Max probably had some left in the tank. But we can't have been too far from them, to be honest. Remarkable.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Macklaren
Macklaren

geogate wrote:
09 Oct 2023, 20:15
Mclaren sign
Lets pretend it's for Piastri's first win, even though its probably for race podiums
https://postimg.cc/gallery/KSYGHLd7
Def for the sprint win. They have not been doing for podiums

elldizzle
elldizzle

What are people's thoughts heading to Austin?. How do you think the car will perform?. I think sector 1 and 2 we will be quick, sector 3 im not sure?.
Also how much time is there to be gained in s1&2 vs the time gained in s3?. Watching Sainz pole lap from last year the ferrari was fairly average though s1&2, he didnt go purple in those 2 sectors but car looked good in s3 and he went purple and gained most of his time. So very interesting.

geogate
geogate

Macklaren wrote:
09 Oct 2023, 21:28
geogate wrote:
09 Oct 2023, 20:15
Mclaren sign
Lets pretend it's for Piastri's first win, even though its probably for race podiums
https://postimg.cc/gallery/KSYGHLd7
Def for the sprint win. They have not been doing for podiums
yeah, they have (got another one from 2 weeks earlier)

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

mwillems wrote:
09 Oct 2023, 21:22
FittingMechanics wrote:
Macklaren wrote:
09 Oct 2023, 15:08

Is the RBR data Max only or avg with Checo?
It's worth Noting that Norris was doing a controlled push to get to the front and that Max probably had some left in the tank. But we can't have been too far from them, to be honest. Remarkable.
Yes I do think Max had more pace on hand. He seemed to want to do this in a controlled fashion. He was probably trying to always stay ahead on tyre performance in case he ends up having to defend after a safety car.

I don't think he was miles ahead, but he surely had more pace than he showed.

the EDGE
the EDGE

FittingMechanics wrote:
09 Oct 2023, 22:23
mwillems wrote:
FittingMechanics wrote:

Yes I do think Max had more pace on hand. He seemed to want to do this in a controlled fashion. He was probably trying to always stay ahead on tyre performance in case he ends up having to defend after a safety car.

I see nothing to suggest Max had more pace, neither do his words since suggest he did. In fact he says they lost their usual advantage which is tyre deg because of the 18 lap rule in place. McLaren were too close for comfort, had they of had more pace Max would have shown it

We know McLaren were as quick over a single lap, which they have been in the past too, but they cant sustain it during the race, on this occasion that could. It’s as simple as that. Just look how far behind everyone else was

Lando says he could have won that race had he not screwed up qualifying, I believe he is correct. This is a track that suited McLaren very very well, so don’t expect them to be that close again this season

avantman
avantman

the EDGE wrote:
09 Oct 2023, 23:22
FittingMechanics wrote:
mwillems wrote:

I see nothing to suggest Max had more pace, neither do his words since suggest he did. In fact he says they lost their usual advantage which is tyre deg because of the 18 lap rule in place. McLaren were too close for comfort, had they of had more pace Max would have shown it

We know McLaren were as quick over a single lap, which they have been in the past too, but they cant sustain it during the race, on this occasion that could. It’s as simple as that. Just look how far behind everyone else was

Lando says he could have won that race had he not screwed up qualifying, I believe he is correct. This is a track that suited McLaren very very well, so don’t expect them to be that close again this season
That is correct. Unfortunately for Mclaren, they had their much slower car at the front all Sunday.

MTudor
MTudor

mwillems wrote:
08 Oct 2023, 17:23
Yeah that's my thought. In the meantime, it's Arsenal vs Man City time, where my team are likely to get smashed, hopefully the boys can redeem the football result with a good performance in the race!
Arsenal fan?
Me too 😀

MTudor
MTudor

Ground Effect wrote:
08 Oct 2023, 20:42
mwillems wrote:
08 Oct 2023, 20:41
Ground Effect wrote:
08 Oct 2023, 20:40

Who?
Oscar said that in the interview when he joked he thought he get a retrospective 5s penalty for limits.
:lol: Good day to be an Arsenal and McLaren fan...

Yes indeed 🍺🍺🍺

PikeStance

I had the triple crown, Mclaren, Arsenal, and Saints all won.

I think, as a team, RB, is trying to "soft" push Perez to want to leave.
<-Pike----
Expat American in Guangzhou
Native New Orleans

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Checo is definitely starting the season, so he still has an opportunity to redeem himself. 2024 is a huge year for McLaren, not because they're expected to compete for the WDC & WCC. But they need to show the kind of progress and consistency that will lead Lando to believe the team is on the right path. There's the strong expectation that Ferrari and Mercedes will improve next year, so will McLaren fall behind them or keep being Red Bull's closest rival? Also will team dynamics stay harmonious if the car becomes a serious challenger for poles and wins? If things aren't comfortable within the team in spite of progress being made, Lando could be off before his contract runs out. Not saying that could happen, but there's always a chance, so 2024 could be pretty pivotal for the team.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

homercircle
homercircle

FittingMechanics wrote:
mwillems wrote:
FittingMechanics wrote:

I agree, Max's fastest lap proved this. If Lando or Oscar could have made the fastest lap they would have. I think Lando showed his best pace to catch Oscar and that wasn't close to Max's fastest lap. The only way for Max to lose that race was a late safety car and he has used up tires. He saved tires, I don't think Lando was in tire saving mode trying to catch Oscar.

M840TR
M840TR

elldizzle wrote:
09 Oct 2023, 21:47
What are people's thoughts heading to Austin?. How do you think the car will perform?. I think sector 1 and 2 we will be quick, sector 3 im not sure?.
Also how much time is there to be gained in s1&2 vs the time gained in s3?. Watching Sainz pole lap from last year the ferrari was fairly average though s1&2, he didnt go purple in those 2 sectors but car looked good in s3 and he went purple and gained most of his time. So very interesting.
The crucial thing is McLaren is much quicker than Ferrari & Merc in high speed corners, and only slightly behind in low-speed corners since the Singapore upgrade. So they might have a slight edge. But Mercedes might be slightly quicker given they're bringing a new floor and already being great on race pace.

Tomsky
Tomsky

There are a lot of bumps on the asphalt in Austin, this can be a big factor.