2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

organic wrote:
16 Oct 2023, 14:12
CjC wrote:
15 Oct 2023, 18:23
Emag wrote:
15 Oct 2023, 14:25
To be honest, I am a bit cautious with my optimism for Austin. Sector 2 is tricky, and I feel like Mercedes and Ferrari can strike back here so a podium (and by extension a double podium) will be much harder to achieve here.
Definitely will be much harder. Especially as Mercedes are taking a new floor to Austin
They claim it's not worth much laptime. More about understanding if their current direction is correct
Similar to our own Baku upgrade.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

PikeStance

mwillems wrote:
16 Oct 2023, 14:09
The car looks fairly well rounded and did well at three tracks that offer different challenges, including Singapore which also has several low speed corners and a few high speed corners. Like Singapore this is a bumpy track also. I don't see Austin offering anything too challenging for the Mclaren but Mercedes will be an unknown, I expect Ferrari to be fast here and we will see how RB manage these bumps. I'd imagine worst case is we can look at top 6 or 8 and best case we can be in with a chance to take the win.
I agree.
The better the performance of the car, the less idiosyncrasy the car has to specific type of corners/ track. There are less sacrifices to race set up etc...
<-Pike----
Expat American in Guangzhou
Native New Orleans

CjC
CjC

mwillems wrote:
16 Oct 2023, 14:48
organic wrote:
CjC wrote:

Definitely will be much harder. Especially as Mercedes are taking a new floor to Austin
They claim it's not worth much laptime. More about understanding if their current direction is correct
Allison has said there will be a small laptime gain.

https://www.the-race.com/formula-1/jame ... x-upgrade/

That’s the second article I’ve read him say it now.

Merc aren’t that far off Mclaren so a small amount of laptime will at least put them on a par with McLaren- if not ahead.
Just a fan's point of view

mwillems

CjC wrote:
16 Oct 2023, 20:02
mwillems wrote:
16 Oct 2023, 14:48
organic wrote:

Allison has said there will be a small laptime gain.

https://www.the-race.com/formula-1/jame ... x-upgrade/

That’s the second article I’ve read him say it now.

Merc aren’t that far off Mclaren so a small amount of laptime will at least put them on a par with McLaren- if not ahead.
The gain is relative to how they would have performed at this track. Not sure how quick they are here yet Is all.

-Bandit

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

CjC wrote:
Emag wrote:
15 Oct 2023, 14:25
To be honest, I am a bit cautious with my optimism for Austin. Sector 2 is tricky, and I feel like Mercedes and Ferrari can strike back here so a podium (and by extension a double podium) will be much harder to achieve here.
It is good that it is a sprint weekend. Mercedes won't have a lot of time to dial it in.

Tomsky
Tomsky

mwillems

This comes next year, I believe, and relates to the mechanical aspect of how the car interacts with the tyres and the road.

I had seen previously some comments from Stella saying that these tyres have some behaviour that is very difficult to replicate in the cologne wind tunnel and that this is why it has been very difficult to deal with it, and to which I believe it refers to the deformation of the tyres.

Edit: I guess that it is now possible in the new wind tunnel.

-Bandit

trinidefender
trinidefender

mwillems wrote:
17 Oct 2023, 19:29
This comes next year, I believe, and relates to the mechanical aspect of how the car interacts with the tyres and the road.

I had seen previously some comments from Stella saying that these tyres have some behaviour that is very difficult to replicate in the cologne wind tunnel and that this is why it has been very difficult to deal with it, and to which I believe it refers to the deformation of the tyres.

It was also mentioned that the Toyota Cologne tunnel cannot simulate yaw very well. That would make sense considering a common trait among the McLaren cars for the last 5 years seem to be a weak mid corner front end. Consistently losing time on long corners. Especially 2018 where the front tyres were too close to the front of the floor so in any turn there was a lot of dirty air hitting the floor.

If that is true then it tracks with the tunnel not being able to simulate yaw well.

Secondly and, correct me if I'm wrong, isn't there an issue where the Cologne tunnel cannot run full 60% models in it?

Tomsky
Tomsky

K1Plus
K1Plus

trinidefender wrote:
18 Oct 2023, 11:31
mwillems wrote:

It was also mentioned that the Toyota Cologne tunnel cannot simulate yaw very well. That would make sense considering a common trait among the McLaren cars for the last 5 years seem to be a weak mid corner front end. Consistently losing time on long corners. Especially 2018 where the front tyres were too close to the front of the floor so in any turn there was a lot of dirty air hitting the floor.

If that is true then it tracks with the tunnel not being able to simulate yaw well.

Secondly and, correct me if I'm wrong, isn't there an issue where the Cologne tunnel cannot run full 60% models in it?
What is also encouraging is that, despite following the Red Bull concept, the engineers understand what each part does and why it's supposed to do that, they understand the design of the concept, unlike some other British teams (The one owned by a daddy).

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

K1Plus wrote:
18 Oct 2023, 11:35
trinidefender wrote:
mwillems wrote:

What is also encouraging is that, despite following the Red Bull concept, the engineers understand what each part does and why it's supposed to do that, they understand the design of the concept, unlike some other British teams (The one owned by a daddy).
James Key had said a while back that the team had actually considered some of the concepts that ended up being more successful, but ended up going the conservative route. So it's likely some level of R&D had already been done, meaning they weren't exactly starting from zero when the switched philosophies.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

CjC
CjC

Last paragraph seems to suggest the all new infrastructure is online?

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/stel ... /10534069/
Just a fan's point of view

mwillems

trinidefender wrote:
mwillems wrote:

No you're not wrong on both counts. Good recall, he had also mentioned the yaw of the car in the past, you're right, and they struggled with models over 50% in the tunnel. Will look for some links later.

Crikey, didn't realise quite how much it was holding them back, allied to the financials and logistics also.

Edit: Article on the 50% size
https://www.mclaren.com/racing/formula- ... nd-tunnel/

Discussions around tyre deformation in the MCL60 thread
viewtopic.php?p=1111375#p1111375

On the cars Yaw, it is worth noting that this wasn't necessarily, or only, a mechanical issue but could be Aero also:
https://www.sportskeeda.com/f1/news-we- ... sues-mcl60
Last edited by mwillems on 18 Oct 2023, 13:35, edited 1 time in total.

-Bandit

mwillems

CjC wrote:
18 Oct 2023, 13:26
Last paragraph seems to suggest the all new infrastructure is online?

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/stel ... /10534069/
I'd seen talk of the new Simulator which is helping them set the car up better, something else to bear in mind. So I knew this was up along with the tunnel. I'm going to have a read of the article and see if it mentions the composites manufacturing facility.

Edit: Indeed he confirms full usage from the Tunnel, Simulator and the Manufacturing facilities.

-Bandit

Wouter

🙌.🙌.🙌.🙌.🙌.

The Power of Dreams!