2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
KimiRai
KimiRai

Re: 2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

diffuser wrote:
18 Oct 2023, 04:29
Krack seems to have given up on 4th place.

https://it.motorsport.com/f1/n ... 2377/
I've read it and imo that's not the message Krack sends. In any case it's true that the fight with McLaren is all but lost.

However, from my point of view, what is really important is that the next improvements perform as expected, which as we all know is never certain. At least this would indicate that they are heading in the right direction for next year.

collindsilva
collindsilva

ATM we have no idea on the intended progress or updates. If AMR manages to bring progressive updates for the next few races, then 2024 seems on positive side or else it may be repeat of last year once again.

-wkst-
-wkst-

AMuS published a new article about AMR:

Most things are well known, just a summary:

- The car is no allrounder (like all other teams except RBR). It doesn't have the right balance between slow and fast corners
- So Austin could be painful like Suzuka (they have to decide in which part they want to be good)
- After they brought the new floor in Montreal the car was weak in high speed corners with a long radius, tyre deg got worse and the aerodynamics fell out of the windows at tracks with a lot of bumps
- The floor didn't provide as reliable downforce as before, only RBR provides reliable downforce over all curve types.
- The windows of reight hide at the back of the car at RBR, where the aerodynmics works, is bigger
- After the summer break they brought a new floor which is similar to spec 1
- Windtunnel is rumoured to not always give the right numbers
- Downforce was also in Qatar not always constant, in the long radius corner for example (where ALO lost 2 places in the race) suddenly the DF was gone

OnEcRiTiCaL
OnEcRiTiCaL

-wkst- wrote:
18 Oct 2023, 13:08

- The car is no allrounder (like all other teams except RBR). It doesn't have the right balance between slow and fast corners
- So Austin could be painful like Suzuka (they have to decide in which part they want to be good)
- After they brought the new floor in Montreal the car was weak in high speed corners with a long radius, tyre deg got worse and the aerodynamics fell out of the windows at tracks with a lot of bumps
- The floor didn't provide as reliable downforce as before, only RBR provides reliable downforce over all curve types.
- The windows of reight hide at the back of the car at RBR, where the aerodynmics works, is bigger
- Downforce was also in Qatar not always constant, in the long radius corner for example (where ALO lost 2 places in the race) suddenly the DF was gone
I was many times asked myself if the Mercedes wind tunnel "sabotaged " Aston aero work. I mean in March Mercedes also said,they had problem in the wind tunnel with the car. The numbers wasn't accurate. Seems like Mercedes found the problem, but the question is ,that they told to Aston Martin what was the problem and since when? They really need a own wind tunnel like McLaren.

toraabe
toraabe

Could it be that the RB design favours a loose rear?

NAPI10
NAPI10

I don't have much of expectations from next 4-5 races. AM is certain to finish 5th and they should be thankful to Alpine for that or it would have been worse.
All I am looking for is a clear indication/message from team that they have understanding of issues with AMR23 (where things gone wrong) and they r on top of it for next season. Anything less then that means AM will continue it's struggle in 24.

Venturiation
Venturiation

OnEcRiTiCaL wrote:
18 Oct 2023, 14:34
-wkst- wrote:
18 Oct 2023, 13:08

I was many times asked myself if the Mercedes wind tunnel "sabotaged " Aston aero work. I mean in March Mercedes also said,they had problem in the wind tunnel with the car. The numbers wasn't accurate. Seems like Mercedes found the problem, but the question is ,that they told to Aston Martin what was the problem and since when? They really need a own wind tunnel like McLaren.
The story at the start of the season was that aston martin know how to use the wind tunnel and mercedes doesn't

If that was true why should mercedes help them if the weren't helping before when they had problems?

-wkst-
-wkst-

toraabe wrote:
18 Oct 2023, 16:02
A loose rear end doesn't seem to be the problem of AMR. The problem seems to be that the car lose suddenly DF in some type of corners/situations, is unpredictable. RBR may have a loose rear (as VER favours this typ of car), but their downforce level remains perfectly stable. The floor seems to be the key to everything...

diffuser

-wkst- wrote:
18 Oct 2023, 16:19
toraabe wrote:
18 Oct 2023, 16:02
A loose rear end doesn't seem to be the problem of AMR. The problem seems to be that the car lose suddenly DF in some type of corners/situations, is unpredictable. RBR may have a loose rear (as VER favours this typ of car), but their downforce level remains perfectly stable. The floor seems to be the key to everything...
Stroll said "Overall, the AMR23 has become more nervous, but also more focused on the front than it was previously."

-wkst-
-wkst-

Yes, but would you say the RBR is nervous? I believe AMR went from efficient DF too much in the direction of peak downforce, reading AMuS and co. But I could be wrong.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

-wkst- wrote:
18 Oct 2023, 17:51
Yes, but would you say the RBR is nervous?
According to Perez, yes. According to Verstappen, no.

-wkst-
-wkst-

I have however never heard that the car suddenly lost DF or something like that, it seems very predictable. PER just can not cope with this driving type.

KimiRai
KimiRai

Rumours were changes to the floor, two weeks ago I shared it but decided to delete it soon after just in case it was wrong, but it looks like it might be the case according to motorsport italy.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Is “sidewalk” the sidepod or the floor edge?