2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
organic

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

LionsHeart wrote:
19 Oct 2023, 20:21
So, Singapore spec
https://x.com/AlbertFabrega/status/1715 ... 63667?s=20

Perhaps this approach is used because of the large number of slow turns. The same can be said for the other teams. Everyone chooses to use more downforce. And I was thinking earlier that maybe someone would dare to use a medium downforce.
Temps are extremely high this weekend (forecast to be hottest Austin F1 race ever) and there's usually a lot of thermal deg on the rear tyres. Protecting them is key

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

organic wrote:
19 Oct 2023, 20:44
LionsHeart wrote:
So, Singapore spec

Perhaps this approach is used because of the large number of slow turns. The same can be said for the other teams. Everyone chooses to use more downforce. And I was thinking earlier that maybe someone would dare to use a medium downforce.
Temps are extremely high this weekend (forecast to be hottest Austin F1 race ever) and there's usually a lot of thermal deg on the rear tyres. Protecting them is key
KimiRai said in the race thread that only Fri/Sat would be hot. I think Mclaren just likes their high downforce spec.
A lion must kill its prey.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

organic wrote:
19 Oct 2023, 20:44
LionsHeart wrote:
So, Singapore spec

I guess so, including the heat.

mwillems

This is an upper medium, or medium high wing, not the high downforce configuration that some others are running, and in fact the other Mclaren has configured a medium DF wing. They are looking at 2 with a similar dilemma to Suzuka. You can see the difference in DF levels between the Mclaren and the Aston, who carry a bar door at the rear.

The actual High DF wing ran at Zandvoort last, where this wing did not run as it did not produce enough load in the wet as Stella confirms, with the same Dilemma here between wing choices as we had at Suzuka, because those two wings come close to the DF levels at the top and bottom of their configurations.

“The wing we had yesterday is suitable for this track in dry conditions, not necessarily in wet conditions. So we will see today what wing we are going to use for the remainder of the weekend. But the good news is that the part that we brought trackside correlates well with expectation. So we now have a wing that we can use for some other races coming like Singapore, Japan, Qatar, and so on."
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

mwillems

Organic, is this you??!

-Bandit

organic

mwillems wrote:
19 Oct 2023, 23:13

Organic, is this you??!
One of my accounts yessir

And to be honest I wouldn't even say the chassis seems to be that draggy anymore. Feels like it's almost on the RB/Ferrari level in that regard

mwillems

organic wrote:
19 Oct 2023, 23:14
mwillems wrote:
19 Oct 2023, 23:13

Organic, is this you??!
One of my accounts yessir

And to be honest I wouldn't even say the chassis seems to be that draggy anymore. Feels like it's almost on the RB/Ferrari level in that regard
Agreed, Singapore was a sneaky "little" upgrade that wasn't so little, Austria level steps forward, but for low speed and straight, more than but not excluding other areas.

-Bandit

mwillems

Here's a nice post to illustrate the point. Our Monaco wing is our highest DF wing. But you can see what an actual Max DF wing looks like below it, with the Haas. Mclaren just ran variations of similar wings with nothing extreme but you can see that the Monaco wing is still higher DF than what we have here (No winglet endplates, wider and bigger main plane). If a Monaco Haas sized wing is a 5, our Monaco wing is a 4, Silverstone is a 3 and the wing here is somewhere around a 3.5 in DF. The Baku wing looks closer in overall load in these pictures.

-Bandit

djos

mwillems wrote:
19 Oct 2023, 23:49
Here's a nice post to illustrate the point. Our Monaco wing is our highest DF wing. But you can see what an actual Max DF wing looks like below it, with the Haas. Mclaren just ran variations of similar wings with nothing extreme but you can see that the Monaco wing is still higher DF than what we have here (No winglet endplates, wider and bigger main plane). If a Monaco Haas sized wing is a 5, our Monaco wing is a 4, Silverstone is a 3 and the wing here is somewhere around a 3.5 in DF. The Baku wing looks closer in overall load in these pictures.

I would suggest to the person complaining about Haas bringing a big wing that they need to think about why. Haas most likely cant generate enough downforce from their floor and need to supplement it with a higher DF rear wing.
"In downforce we trust"

mwillems

djos wrote:
20 Oct 2023, 00:04
mwillems wrote:
I would suggest to the person complaining about Haas bringing a big wing that they need to think about why. Haas most likely cant generate enough downforce from their floor and need to supplement it with a higher DF rear wing.
Oh I've no idea, this is their Monaco wing, not sure about their wing here. Curiously Mercedes are running Monaco level wings.
Last edited by mwillems on 20 Oct 2023, 00:52, edited 5 times in total.

-Bandit

Mostlyeels
Mostlyeels

BMMR61 wrote:
19 Oct 2023, 05:34
Some quite good tech overviews of the relative team performances, overlays etc can be found by a former RedBull data analyst here https://www.youtube.com/c/BrrrakeF1
Nice, I hadn't seen this guy before.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

mwillems wrote:

I disagree. It is necessary to look not only at the total height, but also at the thickness of the wing profile, because it also affects the creation of lift or downforce. In addition, a thicker plane makes the overall height of the wing a little bit less visible to our eyes. I'm sure this is just a trick of the eye.

mwillems

The team not so vonfident at Austin. I'll be watching turns 1 11 and 12.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/mclaren-d ... -prospects

-Bandit

mwillems

LionsHeart wrote:
20 Oct 2023, 01:10
mwillems wrote:

I disagree. It is necessary to look not only at the total height, but also at the thickness of the wing profile, because it also affects the creation of lift or downforce. In addition, a thicker plane makes the overall height of the wing a little bit less visible to our eyes. I'm sure this is just a trick of the eye.
I was looking at many aspects including the overall shape of the main plane. The thickness at the thickest point looks similar between them. But Monaco is clearly a higher DF wing than what we have here, and put into the context of other high DF wings, not really that high DF. The wing at Austin doesn't even produce as much DF as the wing uktimately used at Zandvoort.

It's definately higher than mid level DF, just not high DF, though I think its peak levels can get there. its settings at this track will be in its lowest configuration, sitting comfortably in the medium range, to compare to the other wing they brought in its strongest config. Both will be levels of Med Df at this track, though the bigger wing will be higher in that range.

But we can agree to disagree, I've put my info forward as to why I don't think it's a high DF wing. I don't think we really need one either as the floor creates a lot more DF now.

-Bandit

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

mwillems wrote:
20 Oct 2023, 08:40
LionsHeart wrote:
20 Oct 2023, 01:10
mwillems wrote:

I was looking at many aspects including the overall shape of the main plane. The thickness at the thickest point looks similar between them. But Monaco is clearly a higher DF wing than what we have here, and put into the context of other high DF wings, not really that high DF. The wing at Austin doesn't even produce as much DF as the wing uktimately used at Zandvoort.

It's definately higher than mid level DF, just not high DF, though I think its peak levels can get there. its settings at this track will be in its lowest configuration, sitting comfortably in the medium range, to compare to the other wing they brought in its strongest config. Both will be levels of Med Df at this track, though the bigger wing will be higher in that range.

But we can agree to disagree, I've put my info forward as to why I don't think it's a high DF wing. I don't think we really need one either as the floor creates a lot more DF now.
Next year, if the team gets even more downforce from the floor and more grip from the suspension, we may not see a Monaco spec rear wing again. The main wing will be the Singapore spec as an optimized version, and the maximum downforce will be regulated by the beam wing.