2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

mwillems wrote:
20 Oct 2023, 13:45
Stella: Piastri has made McLaren gradient ‘quite steep’

Big words for Piastri's ability to adapt his driving (Amongst other things), not only over the season, but even in race, apparently finding time and managing the tyres better throughout Suzuka and seeing the difference in his final stint.
Stella avoided trying to say what he could achieve, but suggested that if you look at this year, being a rookie and then to go to winning his first race, then that is the gradient they are looking at in terms of where he might be just by next year.

Go Mclaren.

This must be the best driver line up and team to develop the car that we have seen in decades, so excited to see what they do in the future.

https://www.speedcafe.com/2023/10/20/os ... ite-steep/
Let's go! The team has no other way. Oscar is a fast learner and continues to gain experience. With two young and fast drivers, McLaren has everything ahead of them.

mwillems

Motörhead wrote:
20 Oct 2023, 12:07
BMMR61 wrote:
19 Oct 2023, 05:34
I believe the 60% model size in the Cologne wind tunnel was physically possible but in practice the size encroached too closely on the walls of the tunnel, which would give aberrations.

There was a jauntiness in a recent interview that Stella gave where he was being unusually optimistic about what they were seeing in the new tunnel and in the simulations. Not known for his excesses of optimism I felt Andrea was barely holding back his excitement about the 2024 car. (MCL61?) Of course there's every reason to believe that RedBull have had every chance to make major strides with their new car given how much good data they have collected from the RB19. Just how much and what kind of gains will be necessary to go wheel to wheel with Max next season is an interesting idea for discussion.

Of course one of the first things the McLaren team - especially the drivers - are looking for is greater drivability, specifically the transition of the car from braking to mid corner that ever driver going back to Sainz has complained about. Good correlation between Woking and the track gives good prospects for continuing and consistent performance gains - just what we have seen, really since Austria. Mercedes and others on the other hand have struggled to produce correlation between the factory's simulations and the actual performance at the track, leading to ups and downs in their relative performances. McLaren has by comparison, been relatively constant in their progress - excepting their lower downforce requirement deficiencies at Spa and Monza which they largely expected. If any lesson can be learned (in a general sense) from 2023 it's that having a car that's highly adaptable to all circuit types and tyre performance windows are the determining factors in championship standing. Some quite good tech overviews of the relative team performances, overlays etc can be found by a former RedBull data analyst here https://www.youtube.com/c/BrrrakeF1
“I believe the 60% model size in the Cologne wind tunnel was physically possible but in practice the size encroached too closely on the walls of the tunnel, which would give aberrations.”

May I suggest another theory, if I may….
The Toyota wind tunnel is big enough to run a full scale car, if it were allowed in the rules. McLaren did run a 60% model. (See pictures in link below)
The theory is, that the tunnel was too big and/or it was too outdated to refine results.
They didn’t have a turntable which affected yaw/cornering numbers.
There were a few other problems with it also, due to its age where the tunnels walls were not ‘adaptive’ and were static.
All these things add up and considering, they didn’t do a half bad job.
The slow cornering had always been their Achilles heel. And that relates to the data of not having a turntable.
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/toyot ... /10506134/
The new wind Tunnel has adaptive walls, that can be moved so the the velocity and the flow of the air when passing over the model is not affected by the fact it is in the tunnel. Cologne did not have them but the new tunnel does. The 50% model was optimal for the space that Toyota had, the 60% model's airflow were bothered by the proportions of the tunnel relative to the model, big or small I think can cause these affects.

As for the turntable, do you have anything that shows the new tunnel has a turntable?

Edit: Watching the video he does say that the model can move to replicate on track positions of the car. But they are very secretive about the inside of the tunnel.... interesting...

https://www.mclaren.com/racing/formula- ... nd-tunnel/
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

organic

What has the run plan been?

McLaren are out of sync with the rest of the grid this session

CjC
CjC

organic wrote:
20 Oct 2023, 20:29

Just to use one set of mediums to save a set of tyres?
Just a fan's point of view

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

organic wrote:

Perhaps the goal is to get more sets of soft tires for main qualifying. Or keep one fresh soft for the decisive attempt for the short qualifying on Saturday before the sprint.

mwillems

LionsHeart wrote:
20 Oct 2023, 20:43
organic wrote:

Perhaps the goal is to get more sets of soft tires for main qualifying. Or keep one fresh soft for the decisive attempt for the short qualifying on Saturday before the sprint.
We are mandated to use 1 set of Fresh Meds each for Q1 and Q2 and a set of Fresh Softs for Q3 in the Sprint Qualy, so it may be for the Qualy session this evening.

But still, we may not be showing all of our pace, but the pace we have shown is not setting the world on fire.

-Bandit

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

mwillems wrote:
20 Oct 2023, 20:47
LionsHeart wrote:
organic wrote:

We are mandated to use 1 set of Fresh Meds each for Q1 and Q2 and a set of Fresh Softs for Q3 in the Sprint Qualy, so it may be for the Qualy session this evening.

But still, we may not be showing all of our pace, but the pace we have shown is not setting the world on fire.
Yeah, confirm.

CjC
CjC

Have McLaren also saved on hards so they have an extra set of them if it’s a 2 stopper for the race on Sunday?
Just a fan's point of view

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

mwillems wrote:
LionsHeart wrote:
organic wrote:

They used one set of mediums for the whole of FP1. Most others used a new soft late in the practice.

Lando did his best time (P1 at the time) on 10+ lap old tires. I think the pace is pretty good. McLaren had best pace of all medium runners - hard to judge compared to hard runners but I feel that they would have been up there.

organic

If you have to use a new set of mediums in SQ1 and SQ2 and McLaren used one in fp1.. does that not leave them short of a set of mediums if you want to use a set in both the sprint and the race? I guess they're betting on the soft tyres for the sprint??

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

organic wrote:
20 Oct 2023, 21:35
If you have to use a new set of mediums in SQ1 and SQ2 and McLaren used one in fp1.. does that not leave them short of a set of mediums if you want to use a set in both the sprint and the race? I guess they're betting on the soft tyres for the sprint??
You don't have to start on a new set in the Sprint race or the GP.
A lion must kill its prey.

organic

AR3-GP wrote:
20 Oct 2023, 21:36
organic wrote:
20 Oct 2023, 21:35
You don't have to start on a new set in the Sprint race.
That's true... Nor do you need a new set for the race. Total brain deficit there I was thinking they had to give them back after sq1/sq2 but of course they don't

mwillems

FittingMechanics wrote:
20 Oct 2023, 21:30
mwillems wrote:
LionsHeart wrote:

They used one set of mediums for the whole of FP1. Most others used a new soft late in the practice.

Lando did his best time (P1 at the time) on 10+ lap old tires. I think the pace is pretty good. McLaren had best pace of all medium runners - hard to judge compared to hard runners but I feel that they would have been up there.
What, they shared tyres? lol

Yes they used 1 set of meds, but were quite far back in time even early on, looks like they are around p6 if we normalised the tyre deltas. But is just FP1, it means nothing.

-Bandit

Darth-Piekus

Qualification time and let's see if Mclaren can continue being the 2nd best car.

Red Bull did not seem that fast on this first Q1. Mclaren on par with Mercedes who are the top two fastest. Piastri must improve on Q2 as his time was not good enough in Q1.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Darth-Piekus wrote:
20 Oct 2023, 22:56
Qualification time and let's see if Mclaren can continue being the 2nd best car.

Red Bull did not seem that fast on this first Q1. Mclaren on par with Mercedes who are the top two fastest.
Hopefully Lando and Oscar can turn it up - this was their first run on softs. Red Bull doesn't seem amazing but maybe Verstappen is just taking it careful (track limits are a risk).