2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

SmallSoldier wrote:
21 Oct 2023, 20:28
mwillems wrote:
21 Oct 2023, 20:20
Emag wrote:
21 Oct 2023, 20:18
Its the slow stuff where I could see it was tentative for Lando in that lap. He lost a possible front row again due to a bad exit onto the back straight. Still, just a tenth down, P4, can't complain
His rear was not happy on the lap. Still think we should have run with more rear DF, especially to help in the race.
Long race, Team probably aiming at running in some free air during the race, which means that the “skinnier” wing provides more lap time in race pace… McLaren still very strong in S1, which bodes well for the race and on the approach to the back straight to get out of a DRS threat + more top speed without DRS seems the sensible move to make looking at the race… The car also still has enough DF (wasn’t Piastri purple in S3 during the shootout?).

I believe that looking at the race, it is the best approach
It could well be, it is hard to tell.

Looking at Merc, they are running the Monaco wing and ultimate lap time is pretty good still. So if you move back a step and instead look at what is the quickest way around the lap, I'm not convinced we went in the right direction, as I felt that the ultimate top speed loss might have been offset by better exit from corners and on to the straights in particular. It's hard to read but the telemetry seems to suggest there is more time to gain in the corners than there is to lose on the straights. But I'm not an F1 analyst so we will have to see!
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

mwillems

That and the fact that you don't know if you will get clear air or not, but you know that a planted rear will help the tyres throughout the race. I think Lando will have a lot of fights in the first few laps, so I'm not sure he's going to get so much clear air, at least to begin.

-Bandit

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

mwillems wrote:
21 Oct 2023, 20:32
SmallSoldier wrote:
mwillems wrote:
21 Oct 2023, 20:20

His rear was not happy on the lap. Still think we should have run with more rear DF, especially to help in the race.
Long race, Team probably aiming at running in some free air during the race, which means that the “skinnier” wing provides more lap time in race pace… McLaren still very strong in S1, which bodes well for the race and on the approach to the back straight to get out of a DRS threat + more top speed without DRS seems the sensible move to make looking at the race… The car also still has enough DF (wasn’t Piastri purple in S3 during the shootout?).

Looking at Merc, they are running the Monaco wing and ultimate lap time is pretty good still. So if you move back a step to what is the quickest way around the lap, I'm not convinced we went in the right direction, as I felt that the ultimate top speed loss might have been offset by better exit from corners and on to the straights in particular. It's hard to read but the telemetry seems to suggest there is more time to gain in the corners than there is to lose on the straights. But I'm not an F1 analyst so we will have to see!
That’s a very valid point… Been said that, keep in mind that on race pace, getting on the power is less of a struggle since you are not on the edge (specially during tire management phases)… I also would be careful making an assessment based on what Mercedes for example may be doing in terms of rear wing, the way the cars generate downforce isn’t the same and McLaren may simply be generating more DF than Mercedes from the floor (ergo, the performance of McLaren in S1 and S3 regardless of an apparent smaller rear wing… If the problem is traction out of big braking zones (T1, T11) it’s more related to Mechanical Grip than DF levels (as well as driver input, which also has an impact, different lines, throttle application, what the car allows them to do in terms of rotation, etc)… Just saying that reducing the apparent struggle out of those corners to rear wing level may be flawed.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

mwillems wrote:
21 Oct 2023, 20:37
That and the fact that you don't know if you will get clear air or not, but you know that a planted rear will help the tyres throughout the race. I think Lando will have a lot of fights in the first few laps, so I'm not sure he's going to get so much clear air, at least to begin.
The setup if for the length of the race, not the handful of first laps where they go all out for position… He may well struggle on those initial laps, but I would be very surprised if they are not running on free air during large periods of the race (not the Sprint, which is a different story)… If they don’t have the pace to bring the fight to the cars in front (Red Bull, Ferrari for example), there will be a natural tendency to create space to the car in front to protect the tires, this creates that “free air” gap.

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
21 Oct 2023, 20:39
mwillems wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

Looking at Merc, they are running the Monaco wing and ultimate lap time is pretty good still. So if you move back a step to what is the quickest way around the lap, I'm not convinced we went in the right direction, as I felt that the ultimate top speed loss might have been offset by better exit from corners and on to the straights in particular. It's hard to read but the telemetry seems to suggest there is more time to gain in the corners than there is to lose on the straights. But I'm not an F1 analyst so we will have to see!
That’s a very valid point… Been said that, keep in mind that on race pace, getting on the power is less of a struggle since you are not on the edge (specially during tire management phases)… I also would be careful making an assessment based on what Mercedes for example may be doing in terms of rear wing, the way the cars generate downforce isn’t the same and McLaren may simply be generating more DF than Mercedes from the floor (ergo, the performance of McLaren in S1 and S3 regardless of an apparent smaller rear wing… If the problem is traction out of big braking zones (T1, T11) it’s more related to Mechanical Grip than DF levels (as well as driver input, which also has an impact, different lines, throttle application, what the car allows them to do in terms of rotation, etc)… Just saying that reducing the apparent struggle out of those corners to rear wing level may be flawed.
It's more based on watching the car round the track, but then seeing the success that others can have with more DF.

As for the floors, I've no idea what they generate, but you can see that we aren't happy on a fast lap. But you are right that in the first half of the race tomorrow it will be less of an issue, but in the second half it will be and in the sprint it also will be.

Traction issues at the rear was on exit, not entry, this is what concerns me. We knew that turns 11 & 12 would push us, but typically we have good traction out of the corners and pull it back, but now the car is struggling, which is another indicator that this may just be setup specific.

-Bandit

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

In the third segment, only the Alpine car had a used set of softs, while the others were left with a fresh set of softs? I noticed that most of the drivers had shiny tread.

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
21 Oct 2023, 20:42
mwillems wrote:
21 Oct 2023, 20:37
The setup if for the length of the race, not the handful of first laps where they go all out for position… He may well struggle on those initial laps, but I would be very surprised if they are not running on free air during large periods of the race (not the Sprint, which is a different story)… If they don’t have the pace to bring the fight to the cars in front (Red Bull, Ferrari for example), there will be a natural tendency to create space to the car in front to protect the tires, this creates that “free air” gap.
We will find out, even in those early laps a planted rear will help in the fast corners to protect the tyres but as I say, at a sprint weekend there is even more low fuel time than normal, and for those laps they will be going full beans.

But I think your point is that it may help but then it may not, andI get that, I don't know I'm right, it's just my gut feeling from watching these past 2 days.

-Bandit

mwillems

LionsHeart wrote:
21 Oct 2023, 20:45
In the third segment, only the Alpine car had a used set of softs, while the others were left with a fresh set of softs? I noticed that most of the drivers had shiny tread.
Perez and Russell had used also.

-Bandit

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

mwillems wrote:
21 Oct 2023, 20:44
SmallSoldier wrote:
mwillems wrote:

It's more based on watching the car round the track, but then seeing the success that others can have with more DF.

As for the floors, I've no idea what they generate, but you can see that we aren't happy on a fast lap. But you are right that in the first half of the race tomorrow it will be less of an issue, but in the second half it will be and in the sprint it also will be.

Traction issues at the rear was on exit, not entry, this is what concerns me. We knew that turns 11 & 12 would push us, but typically we have good traction out of the corners and pull it back, but now the car is struggling, which is another indicator that this may just be setup specific.
We just need to be careful deriving conclusions without considering all the variables… Mercedes may have missed the mark from an Aero stand point with this generation of cars, but their mechanical grip has always been top of the class… You are making an assumption that the only variable separating both cars is related to aero, more importantly simply the Rear Wing level without considering all other factors (Suspension Setup, Ride Height, Beam Wing, CoP and the list goes on)… The team has always stated that slow speed is still a weakness of this car and that it won’t fix it until next year, which spells the necessity to address it not only from aero stand point, but from a chassis point of view too.

Look at the telemetry, you will see that “traction” isn’t an issue since the MCL60 gains time against the Mercedes from the beginning of the straight (traction zone of the back straight) all the way until the braking point… It is during the corner itself, that Mercedes gains time.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

mwillems wrote:
21 Oct 2023, 20:49
LionsHeart wrote:
21 Oct 2023, 20:45
Perez and Russell had used also.
Ok, thanks. I didn’t see this.

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
21 Oct 2023, 20:54
mwillems wrote:
21 Oct 2023, 20:44
SmallSoldier wrote:

We just need to be careful deriving conclusions without considering all the variables… Mercedes may have missed the mark from an Aero stand point with this generation of cars, but their mechanical grip has always been top of the class… You are making an assumption that the only variable separating both cars is related to aero, more importantly simply the Rear Wing level without considering all other factors (Suspension Setup, Ride Height, Beam Wing, CoP and the list goes on)… The team has always stated that slow speed is still a weakness of this car and that it won’t fix it until next year, which spells the necessity to address it not only from aero stand point, but from a chassis point of view too.

Look at the telemetry, you will see that “traction” isn’t an issue since the MCL60 gains time against the Mercedes from the beginning of the straight (traction zone of the back straight) all the way until the braking point… It is during the corner itself, that Mercedes gains time.
I think you're getting carried way, it isn't a conclusion, just an opinion and it's a valid one, as there is plenty of evidence to suggest it could be the case. It's also valid to suggest it might not be the case. Typically you'll look at the fastest way round the track and then add your mitigations to ensure it is a durable car still, which would normally but not always retard single lap performance by adding more wing, not often by reducing it.

So it is by no means obvious and clear that the bigger rear wing would help, but it looks to me that this car is struggling at the rear and my prediction is that this is going to become an issue. But it isn't a conclusion as I don't have all the facts, just some data and my own opinion which I'm OK with :lol:

But I'm totally open to going to a shop tonight and tomorrow, to buy a hat to eat. Especially if it is made from cake.

Edit: In terms of context of rear traction, it is something that for a large part of the season this car has been one of the best in class so I feel confident in the rear traction of this car from a mechanical aspect, especially in the lowest speed corners where we were some of the fastest on exit. But here we struggled and it is uncharacteristic for this car to struggle on exit.

-Bandit

Darth-Piekus

We haven't done a good start. Norris had a bad start and Piastri is struggling today despite his Qualifying speed. I'll take 4th and 10th as things went today.

Ben1980
Ben1980

Was Norris start bad? Just seems that Sainz got a jump with the softs. Which helped Leclerc.

Oscar just having one of those races. He's still learning though.

blastdoman
blastdoman

McLaren with serious grip problems and no race pace

mwillems

Darth-Piekus wrote:
22 Oct 2023, 00:21
We haven't done a good start. Norris had a bad start and Piastri is struggling today despite his Qualifying speed. I'll take 4th and 10th as things went today.
Norris was pretty racey off the line but they struggled getting the tyres switched on at the start and Piastri overheated his tyres.

Norris has 4th now and he will likely stay there or drop one place to 5th.

-Bandit