2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

We are unlikely to beat max and we may struggle with the tyres at the start again. Car looked much better in Landos hands today though.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

CjC
CjC

The McLaren boys have 2 new sets of hard tyres for tomorrow as well
Just a fan's point of view

CjC
CjC

Lando talking about controlling the race from P1 tomorrow🀣
Im not used to thisπŸ₯΅
Just a fan's point of view

Emag
Emag

mwillems wrote: ↑
22 Oct 2023, 00:54
We are unlikely to beat max and we may struggle with the tyres at the start again. Car looked much better in Landos hands today though.
I am completely ignoring Oscar to be honest, because that can't be a normal gap to Lando for him. There must have been some issue. He was on average 1.25 second per lap slower than Lando. That's huge. I mean, Lando is great and all, and Oscar has been struggling a bit this weekend so far, but 1.25s per lap is rough.

Ben1980
Ben1980

Basically Andrea just saying its on Oscar but did have older tyres. But it's a learning experience for his tyre management.

organic

MCLvamos wrote: ↑
22 Oct 2023, 00:47
Yeah, can someone post Lando vs Hamilton and Verstappen times in clean air. Would be much appreciated (maybe even to get myself less overexcited πŸ˜‚)

mwillems

Emag wrote: ↑
22 Oct 2023, 01:00
mwillems wrote: ↑
22 Oct 2023, 00:54
I am completely ignoring Oscar to be honest, because that can't be a normal gap to Lando for him. There must have been some issue. He was on average 1.25 second per lap slower than Lando. That's huge. I mean, Lando is great and all, and Oscar has been struggling a bit this weekend so far, but 1.25s per lap is rough.
His tyres were a fair bit older than the ones others started on, and then he cooked them. Racing immaturity shall we say. But Lando also took a little while for the tyres to come to him I think, which is the risk that the first few laps are critical for us, we can't afford to drop back.

-Bandit

mwillems

organic wrote: ↑
22 Oct 2023, 01:06
Yeah, can someone post Lando vs Hamilton and Verstappen times in clean air. Would be much appreciated (maybe even to get myself less overexcited πŸ˜‚)
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F8_6wpBWIAA ... &name=orig

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F8_6wpLW8AA ... &name=orig
Interesting, the tyres were on the edge of their use at lap 19 and about to go downhill fast, but these were used. Ferrari murdered their tyres.

-Bandit

MCLvamos
MCLvamos

22 Oct 2023, 01:06
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F8_6wpBWIAA ... &name=orig

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F8_6wpLW8AA ... &name=orig
Thanks. Lando suffered with traffic from Leclerc right at the end and obviously Sainz at the start. If we take the middle stint (if u can call it that) the deficits around 3 tenths or so. Not amazing but a small opportunity for tomorrow, all Lando can do is put everything together on his side and hope for things to happen behind him. Like he kinda mentioned in his interview, just try to clear the Mercs and Ferraris and then just see what happens with Max.

trinidefender
trinidefender

I missed the sprint. What happened to Piastri? The summary on Motorsport/autosport just said he fell back through the sprint.

It also said Norris went from 6.7 to 0.8 seconds behind Leclerc after getting by Sainz. Is our race pace that much better?

sjy1969
sjy1969

blastdoman wrote: ↑
22 Oct 2023, 00:25
McLaren with serious grip problems and no race pace
Really??

MCLvamos
MCLvamos

trinidefender wrote: ↑
22 Oct 2023, 01:24
I missed the sprint. What happened to Piastri? The summary on Motorsport/autosport just said he fell back through the sprint.

It also said Norris went from 6.7 to 0.8 seconds behind Leclerc after getting by Sainz. Is our race pace that much better?
Yep! Seemed to be a bit slow to fire the tires up but pace was pretty rapid in clean air. Bodes well for tomorrow for sure. Also, you didn't miss much...

organic

Yes Leclerc seemed to really drop off in pace at the end. Leclerc was one of the slowest cars on track towards the end of the GP. Not clear why as he started lapping slower than his teammate on cooked softs while he was driving mediums

If you look at Norris relative to Hamilton while he was catching Leclerc, he only gained 1s over Hamilton. So I would say the pace looks good but this catching Leclerc was a bit flattering

No idea on piastri. It's possible he completely wrecked his tyres at the beginning but feels more like a problem with the car

geogate
geogate

interesting position for mclaren tomorrow. I hope they put everything into going for a win strategy wise. Yes Yes Yes, Max is faster - it's the ambition that makes you a race team

MCLvamos
MCLvamos

22 Oct 2023, 01:45

Yes Leclerc seemed to really drop off in pace at the end. Leclerc was one of the slowest cars on track towards the end of the GP. Not clear why as he started lapping slower than his teammate on cooked softs while he was driving mediums

If you look at Norris relative to Hamilton while he was catching Leclerc, he only gained 1s over Hamilton. So I would say the pace looks good but this catching Leclerc was a bit flattering

No idea on piastri. It's possible he completely wrecked his tyres at the beginning but feels more like a problem with the car
1 second over 7-8 laps isn't bad, he also did use a lot of tyre getting past Carlos. I do think we are a bit faster.