2023 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Bill_Kar
Bill_Kar

Re: 2023 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Luscion wrote:
22 Oct 2023, 02:24
Bill_Kar wrote:
22 Oct 2023, 01:52
Great stuff by Hamilton today, solid result.

I think the pace was quite good, I think Hamilton was also managing his tyres after his first round of attacks on MV. McLaren also seemed quite well on race pace, I suppose it will be a three way fight for that second spot, Ferrari to my mind is the weakest out of the three, only slightly.

I frankly believe that P3 is a nice place to start the race, if a similar scrap happens tomorrow between Leclerc and Norris, Hamilton can get advantage of it and keep the position. If not, the high DF configuration will be a pain in the behind in terms of overtaking, as we saw with Russell and Sainz today.

Lastly, I was amazed how Hamilton managed to pull a significant gap to Leclerc after the first train of corners during Lap 1, he wasn't even remotely under threat at the back straight. Car works well in the high speed and bumpy part?
I think the only threat to Lewis for p2 tomorrow will be Lando, Max and Lewis left Leclerc in the dust from the jump and Leclerc never closed the gap
Yes, I agree that once more, tyre wear will be crucial, as in against Ferrari. So, realistically, we are aiming for podium tomorrow and a nice fight (or not, I hope LH disappears into distance) with Lando for P2 :D

ringo

Mclaren may be a big threat on the hard compound.
For Sure!!

Bill_Kar
Bill_Kar

It's quite hard to decipher race pace trims LH vs Norris, Norris was on average 1 tenth faster than Hamilton since he was released from Sainz (as per The Race), but surely LH was not really pushing. On the other hand, Lando did use up some of his tyre behind Sainz and clocked his fastest lap during the end (albeit 6 tenths slower than LH's).

Anyway, I'm pretty sure cars will be almost on equal terms, who is going to have the edge will depend on tyre choice (as you said, Medium may be more beneficial to Mercedes, Hard going Lando's way) and car's behaviour on a much heavier tank than today. I think Mercedes is quite dull when heavy, coming a bit more alive towards the end? Or am I talking nonsense here?

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Bill_Kar wrote:
22 Oct 2023, 01:52
Great stuff by Hamilton today, solid result.

I think the pace was quite good, I think Hamilton was also managing his tyres after his first round of attacks on MV. McLaren also seemed quite well on race pace, I suppose it will be a three way fight for that second spot, Ferrari to my mind is the weakest out of the three, only slightly.

I frankly believe that P3 is a nice place to start the race, if a similar scrap happens tomorrow between Leclerc and Norris, Hamilton can get advantage of it and keep the position. If not, the high DF configuration will be a pain in the behind in terms of overtaking, as we saw with Russell and Sainz today.

Lastly, I was amazed how Hamilton managed to pull a significant gap to Leclerc after the first train of corners during Lap 1, he wasn't even remotely under threat at the back straight. Car works well in the high speed and bumpy part?
I was watching Hamilton's onboards. Even taking into account his management, he was actually just struggling with the rear tires (though not as much as Leclerc) from what looked like lap 14 onwards. Struggling with traction, and having to counter steer away on corner entry and the rear wanted to come around. It's quite apparent that the rear tires were gone.

On lap 15 Bono told him that Verstappen had set a 39.4 (Norris a 39.7), and Hamilton a 40.0 and Hamilton's response was simply "that's some crazy pace man". I really don't think Hamilton had anything left there in the end with the tires. As I said, by lap 15, he was getting the rear stepping out on corner entry everywhere and just sliding out of the low speed corners with not much traction. On lap 19 he was basically drifting out of all of the low speed corners.

With that said, it could be tight with Mclaren as you say. Norris did look like he had more tires under him at the end however.

ALO & PIA are 50 in both directions to RUS; that’s intriguing to monitor till the end. If ALO stays ahead that’s likely P8 in the championship all said & done.

On a more pressing note they better start RUS on S to run interference on VER; the opportunity here is slim but worthwhile IMO
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

DGP123
DGP123

214270 wrote:
22 Oct 2023, 10:12
On a more pressing note they better start RUS on S to run interference on VER; the opportunity here is slim but worthwhile IMO
Be careful what you wish for. Russell will have more than VER on his mind. You start him on softs, and he will have the possibility of jumping Hamilton or hindering him into T1 (P3/P5 grid slots). Can see that happening already. It would be the best strategy, it’s just the application that usually goes wrong, like, Qatar.

DGP123 wrote:
22 Oct 2023, 10:17
214270 wrote:
Be careful what you wish for. Russell will have more than VER on his mind. You start him on softs, and he will have the possibility of jumping Hamilton or hindering him into T1 (P3/P5 grid slots). Can see that happening already. It would be the best strategy, it’s just the application that usually goes wrong, like, Qatar.
RUS just needs to be instructed is all, instead of this light-touch managerial style. BOT & HAM for the most part worked well together to execute a plan; RUS needs to fall in line for the greater good.
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

Bill_Kar
Bill_Kar

AR3-GP wrote:
22 Oct 2023, 03:59

I was watching Hamilton's onboards. Even taking into account his management, he was actually just struggling with the rear tires (though not as much as Leclerc) from what looked like lap 14 onwards. Struggling with traction, and having to counter steer away on corner entry and the rear wanted to come around. It's quite apparent that the rear tires were gone.

On lap 15 Bono told him that Verstappen had set a 39.4 (Norris a 39.7), and Hamilton a 40.0 and Hamilton's response was simply "that's some crazy pace man". I really don't think Hamilton had anything left there in the end with the tires. As I said, by lap 15, he was getting the rear stepping out on corner entry everywhere and just sliding out of the low speed corners with not much traction. On lap 19 he was basically drifting out of all of the low speed corners.

With that said, it could be tight with Mclaren as you say. Norris did look like he had more tires under him at the end however.

https://i.postimg.cc/MT6D3D21/image.png
Interesting insight, thank you AR3.

Hmm, I wonder then, with the way Pirelli's tyres work, maybe LH took a lot of the life at the beginning of the stint (when tyres are cold) because he was really pushing during the first laps to attack MV? Something that probably won't reoccur today.

Bill_Kar
Bill_Kar

214270 wrote:
22 Oct 2023, 10:54
DGP123 wrote:
214270 wrote:
RUS just needs to be instructed is all, instead of this light-touch managerial style. BOT & HAM for the most part worked well together to execute a plan; RUS needs to fall in line for the greater good.
Let's hope, then, that Toto's presence may have a positive effect, you know, in terms of GR falling in line. :lol:

But, on a more serious note, while your idea is interesting, I think that ultimately will have minuscule impact on the race. Mercedes is pretty much a sitting duck on the straights and MV's pace is out of this world. There is no way GR can hold him more than 1.5 laps. I don't want to sound defeatist, but I'm not even calculating MV in all of my thought of today's race.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Bill_Kar wrote:
22 Oct 2023, 13:15
AR3-GP wrote:
22 Oct 2023, 03:59

https://i.postimg.cc/MT6D3D21/image.png
Interesting insight, thank you AR3.

Hmm, I wonder then, with the way Pirelli's tyres work, maybe LH took a lot of the life at the beginning of the stint (when tyres are cold) because he was really pushing during the first laps to attack MV? Something that probably won't reoccur today.
Agreed. Hamilton likely learned what the tires could withstand pushing in the sprint and will be thinking more bigger picture in the GP.

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

Bill_Kar wrote:
22 Oct 2023, 13:20
214270 wrote:
22 Oct 2023, 10:54
DGP123 wrote:

Let's hope, then, that Toto's presence may have a positive effect, you know, in terms of GR falling in line. :lol:

But, on a more serious note, while your idea is interesting, I think that ultimately will have minuscule impact on the race. Mercedes is pretty much a sitting duck on the straights and MV's pace is out of this world. There is no way GR can hold him more than 1.5 laps. I don't want to sound defeatist, but I'm not even calculating MV in all of my thought of today's race.
The best we can hope is that George can hold him up for ~5 laps if himself has DRS.

Luscion
Luscion

chrisc90

How much pace does Max have in reserve if he actually needs to push the tyres? That's the key thing to take from this sprint/all season. How little reserve Max has left will be how much of a chance Lewis has (albeit I think Lando might be ahead of Lewis in the race).

Dont forget, Max was around 7tenths a lap quicker in the closing stages.

Lando and possibly charles are Lewis' races today, in my opinion. A podium will be the place to aim towards for them both.

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

chrisc90 wrote:
22 Oct 2023, 14:30
How much pace does Max have in reserve if he actually needs to push the tyres? That's the key thing to take from this sprint/all season. How little reserve Max has left will be how much of a chance Lewis has (albeit I think Lando might be ahead of Lewis in the race).

Lando and possibly charles are Lewis' races today, in my opinion. A podium will be the place to aim towards for them both.
I don't think Charles will match Norris or Hamilton pace, especially with an heavier car than yersteday. The big issue for these two will be to overtake Charles - if they don't manage to do it on the first lap - because the top speed of that Ferrari is pretty amazing and it has a very good traction too. Charles race is against Perez, Piastri, Russell & his teammate imo, he's aiming for P4 probably.

chrisc90

Spoutnik wrote:
22 Oct 2023, 14:36
chrisc90 wrote:
22 Oct 2023, 14:30

I don't think Charles will match Norris or Hamilton pace, especially with an heavier car than yersteday. The big issue for these two will be to overtake Charles - if they don't manage to do it on the first lap - because the top speed of that Ferrari is pretty amazing and it has a very good traction too. Charles race is against Perez, Piastri, Russell & his teammate imo, he's aiming for P4 probably.
Ferrari was on the end of its tyres in the sprint - so whether a sorter stint on the mediums will help we dont know. I wonder if the race pace will be a second or so slower given more fuel and a longer distance. As in 1:41's rather than the 40's.

We'll see, Ferrari will be fast on the straights with the lower downforce, but it'll need to look after its tyres in doing so. I think if a Ferrari is within the slipstream/ or DRS of a car infront, it'll be neigh on impossible to overtake on the straight.