2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
xReVo
xReVo

Re: 2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

I remind you that data, algorithms etc. Aston Martin inserts them, not Mercedes.

OnEcRiTiCaL
OnEcRiTiCaL

xReVo wrote:
22 Oct 2023, 01:20
I remind you that data, algorithms etc. Aston Martin inserts them, not Mercedes.
I just was kidding, I have no idea how all this share thinks works in reality.

quincalla
quincalla

What's going on with their brakes? Problems in FP1, that weird lockup in sprint quali, retirement from the sprint... They must've changed something about them.

Rodak
Rodak

draghixa wrote:
21 Oct 2023, 20:11
Confused, is the track limit the outside edge of the white line or the inside (track side) edge of the white line?
The outside edge. If the tires are past the outer edge of the white line they are out of bounds!

diffuser

101FlyingDutchman wrote:
21 Oct 2023, 12:43
KimiRai wrote:
21 Oct 2023, 12:18
GoranF1 wrote:
21 Oct 2023, 08:15
So Peter Prodrumou is a better aerodynamics than Dan Fallows after all.
Ground Effect wrote:
21 Oct 2023, 11:52
Was it ever in doubt?
K1Plus wrote:
21 Oct 2023, 11:56
It wasn't, Peter was always better, just that he was sidelined while Key was at McL and didn't provide much input. That's why they decided to change the technical structure.

I'm interested to see what Fallows and Blandin have prepared for next year.
Lol, the nerves of some people. Ridiculous.

Having someone like Newey by your side guarantees you a great car, but not always the best. The best, for eight years, was at Mercedes, and the father of them all was Aldo Costa. Results come from many ingredients and the designer is a key one, but not the only one. Newey creates great cars because he has a specific team around him, a specific wind tunnel, a specific computer with many gigabytes that does the simulations, the CFD, the CAD design, the calculations, etc... The technical director is a piece on which other crucial elements pivot, but he is one of several and all of them have to work. Costa was sacked from Ferrari 'for not working'. He came to Mercedes and it worked. The key was not so much who was ultimately responsible, but all the technical and human tools at his fingertips.

Another glaring example that explains all is the Peter Prodromou you mentioned. This British engineer of Greek origin is very much in Newey's style. He drank from his knowledge for years, and according to many was an extension of him. Their ways of working are quite similar. Neither of them touches a computer, or at least not to project. Ideas flash in their brains at any time, and they pester the senior engineers at any time by saying "do this". It is the latter who are responsible for bringing to life the solutions, parts and designs born in the mastermind's head.

But many McLaren fans were throwing fireworks and uncorking sparkling wine to celebrate the successes to come in Woking thanks to his arrival back then. Well... er... since 15 October 2014, the day he was announced as the man ultimately responsible for the design, titles have not come, and victory has been just one. It was an Italian day in 2021 when the now defenestrated Daniel Ricciardo came first at Monza. The first victory of the Prodromou era took exactly seven seasons and one hundred and thirty-eight races to arrive. And it was the only one, without taking sprint races into account. The conclusion is simple and the evidence conclusive: signing a Newey's disciple won't give you strong results per se if you don't accompany it with more. And we are talking about complex mechanisms. Wind tunnels that take months and almost years to calibrate, co-engineering teams that have to dance to the same beat, a racing team that works, technology acquisition, simulators, measurement and testing systems, and a thousand other little details that bring the podium a little closer.
If I could upvote I would. Good post
Let's not forget that neither Fallows or Bladin are aerodynamacist any more. The are technical director and deputy technical director.

Head of aero at AMR is Ian Greig and the aerodynamacists would work for him.

Let's wait till 2025 when they have the rest of the buildings built and the tunnel going.

Jambier

I don’t understand how the car is now fighting with Alpha tauri

I mean, can they just bring the Barhain spec car?

They are going backward, now behind Alpine.

It is almost impossible to be so bad

organic

Jambier wrote:
22 Oct 2023, 06:05
I mean, can they just bring the Barhain spec car?
I think given the TDs and rumours around flexible bodywork, no they can't

organic

They're gonna break parc fermé I think. Use the learnings from the sprint and nail it and just see if you can find the car's window

max_speed
max_speed

Another failed update. Now i am convinced they got lucky as ofher did a shabby job. Their decline has left no hope for next year. All those so called newey's offsprings like follows are all talk. Very disappointed. They deserve lance stroll as their lead driver not alonso.

multisync
multisync

max_speed wrote:
22 Oct 2023, 12:49
Another failed update. Now i am convinced they got lucky as ofher did a shabby job. Their decline has left no hope for next year. All those so called newey's offsprings like follows are all talk. Very disappointed. They deserve lance stroll as their lead driver not Alonso.
My gut feeling has been the same for years. Its legacy workers. They have carried on with mainly the same staff some dating back to Jordan days and I feel they are stale as a company.

The race tactics have been suspect for years and years and they still seem to be making basic errors of judgement.

Not that they aren't great people as they are, it's just they are like an old ICE car manufacturer whereas the EV mindset of say Redbull are better 'blue sky' thinkers.
They also seem to lack a genuine desire to be race winners, most come to work and go home. Outsiders think all F1 workers live and breathe F1. They don't for most it pays the mortgage.

All <IMHO>

PS they don't deserve Stroll , that comment is irrelevant nonsense

xReVo
xReVo

I don't want to go against your ideas, but the AMR23 had some revolutionary things that weren't there on the RB. So don't be pessimistic yet

issey
issey

organic

So they will use it like a practice session - good. But not promising that they still want data of the old floor..
Both Aston Martins will start from the pitlane today. Fernando will run previous iteration of floor with Lance running Austin update optimised for the race so team has a back-to-back comparison.
Also Stroll running the most optimal package rather than Alonso? What a joke

PinkFloydPulse

100% Daddy Stroll decision so Lance potentially ends up in front of Alonso...
Team Fernando!

proteus

organic wrote:
22 Oct 2023, 16:42
So they will use it like a practice session - good. But not promising that they still want data of the old floor..
Both Aston Martins will start from the pitlane today. Fernando will run previous iteration of floor with Lance running Austin update optimised for the race so team has a back-to-back comparison.
Also Stroll running the most optimal package rather than Alonso? What a joke

Not really a joke. They know that Lance is 0.5 sec slower on his good day than Alonso. If he manages to reduce this gap, they will know how much better the whole thing is if the weaker driver manages to show some progress. And him being a son of the owner also helps a tiny little bit 😉. This race is more or less something to forget about for Aston anyway.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows