2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
geogate
geogate

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

"It's not the taking part but the winning that counts"
~ Me, circa 2010

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

Piastri should start on soft him to salvage him from his bad qualy and potentially offer some crucial help if he can hold Verstappen who will probably start on Medium, if not Hards.

In doing so, it's still the best strategy for him, but it is also for Norris.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

mwillems wrote:
22 Oct 2023, 18:25
Everything can change in a flash, strategy will in part be determined by what happens at the start and what others do, who we need to respond to, who we end up being in a fight with. Whilst targeting P1 is a good goal, we are also in a fight with Mercedes and Ferrari, neither of which will be burdened by the same tire degradation issues when running a two stop which makes them a big danger to us, I just think we need to not get ahead of ourselves. Everything is possible, everything to win, everything to lose.

Whilst we can technically do a 1 stopper, it is unlikely to be any kind of a sensible idea to do so for either of our drivers, at least on face value. But hey, who knows, not every crazy person is on the Ferrari pit wall :D
I know finishing ahead of Ferrari or Mercedes would gain some millions for the team, but I doubt that is very important to the team. I think they should go for win or broke - getting another P2 or P3 will not change anything. They may get more points but a cynic might say it is better to stay P4 in the championship then overtake teams ahead.

This is a perfect storm of opportunity - the team needs to go hard for the win. If I was Lando I'd make sure I am P1 in T1 or I am out of the race.

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

Realistically McLaren will - for sure - overtake Aston Martin in the WCC. I don't think Ferrari is catchable. In reality it's Ferrari who should catch Merc given Russell' woes.

mwillems

FittingMechanics wrote:
22 Oct 2023, 19:48
mwillems wrote:
22 Oct 2023, 18:25
Everything can change in a flash, strategy will in part be determined by what happens at the start and what others do, who we need to respond to, who we end up being in a fight with. Whilst targeting P1 is a good goal, we are also in a fight with Mercedes and Ferrari, neither of which will be burdened by the same tire degradation issues when running a two stop which makes them a big danger to us, I just think we need to not get ahead of ourselves. Everything is possible, everything to win, everything to lose.

Whilst we can technically do a 1 stopper, it is unlikely to be any kind of a sensible idea to do so for either of our drivers, at least on face value. But hey, who knows, not every crazy person is on the Ferrari pit wall :D
I know finishing ahead of Ferrari or Mercedes would gain some millions for the team, but I doubt that is very important to the team. I think they should go for win or broke - getting another P2 or P3 will not change anything. They may get more points but a cynic might say it is better to stay P4 in the championship then overtake teams ahead.

This is a perfect storm of opportunity - the team needs to go hard for the win. If I was Lando I'd make sure I am P1 in T1 or I am out of the race.
I hope he doesn't 🤣, he could still get Leclerc later and Max have issues, and to be honest that's not his style anyway. But nearly time to see, I'm excited.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

mwillems wrote:
22 Oct 2023, 19:52
I hope he doesn't 🤣, he could still get Leclerc later and Max have issues, and to be honest that's not his style anyway. But nearly time to see, I'm excited.
Sure, I understand your view, I just think that they need to start biting and fighting to win. Being cautious could throw away chance of victory.

Leclerc has to know he has very low chance of victory so I suspect he will not fight super hard in T1.

I think Verstappen in a similar spot as Lando would go for it.

mwillems

FittingMechanics wrote:
22 Oct 2023, 19:54
mwillems wrote:
22 Oct 2023, 19:52
Sure, I understand your view, I just think that they need to start biting and fighting to win. Being cautious could throw away chance of victory.

Leclerc has to know he has very low chance of victory so I suspect he will not fight super hard in T1.

I think Verstappen in a similar spot as Lando would go for it.
All good things, my friend!

There's a lot of players in this race, I think we could be in for a treat today.

-Bandit

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

mwillems wrote:
22 Oct 2023, 19:56

There's a lot of players in this race, I think we could be in for a treat today.
Indeed!

I just hope that Verstappen doesn't steam through in 10 laps. It would make the race that much less exciting. I hope that at least until midpoint Verstappen is not ahead. Even if it does not end up being Lando ahead - just to get us some proper racing.

mwillems

FittingMechanics wrote:
22 Oct 2023, 20:07
mwillems wrote:
22 Oct 2023, 19:56

Indeed!

I just hope that Verstappen doesn't steam through in 10 laps. It would make the race that much less exciting. I hope that at least until midpoint Verstappen is not ahead. Even if it does not end up being Lando ahead - just to get us some proper racing.
His pace advantage is a little diminished here compared to normal so hopefully it won't be the case. But like us I'm sure the RB fans have an eye on a significant position improvement at the start.

-Bandit

MTudor
MTudor

geogate wrote:
22 Oct 2023, 09:58
FittingMechanics wrote:
22 Oct 2023, 09:28

One of best chances for a win this year.
exactly. I'm looking for a shift in mindset from Mclaren - go for the win, they no longer in need of just podiums. Time to get punchy
We have a win,in a sprint race but it says P1,it says 😀

MCLvamos
MCLvamos

I am nervous... to say the least!

mwillems

🤣🤣🤣

I think this might have been built up a bit!

-Bandit

Szabi1112
Szabi1112

Whats up Piastri and Lando? :)

mwillems

Great start for both, amazing pull away from the line.

-Bandit

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

So far ideal - only better would be if PIA jumped VER.