2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

FittingMechanics wrote:
22 Oct 2023, 23:07
mwillems wrote:
22 Oct 2023, 22:54
FittingMechanics wrote:
22 Oct 2023, 22:52

I disagree. I don't think Max was managing that much - he was fighting for it throughout. We might have had a better chance with two mediums.

Btw P4 in the team championship.
He and horner stated he was,but he did say he was also having issues with braking.
Why would he manage tyres only to undercut HAM and NOR in stint 1?

All of them are managing tyres, doesn't mean he had huge amount of pace. If he had they would have used it before the pitstop.
Because as soon as you cook the tyres you'll struggle to get them back, so you can only push at the end of the stint.

Brain fog, didn't we pit before Verstappen?

Edit: I'm not saying he had huge pace, just that he was being clever.
Last edited by mwillems on 22 Oct 2023, 23:15, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Emag
Emag

billamend wrote:
Interlagos is the real opportunity. Maybe more than any other track.

Norris being 3rd here is very unexpected.
I would say Abu Dhabi is the next best thing. Interlagos has some slow stuff in there which may hurt.

Big Tea

mwillems wrote:
22 Oct 2023, 23:04
Ground Effect wrote:
22 Oct 2023, 23:03
What to expect in Mexico?
20 cars, one track and some nachos.
What about the mariachi? No one does Mariachi like Mexico (edit, Oh, and skulls for some reason)
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

mwillems

Big Tea wrote:
22 Oct 2023, 23:11
mwillems wrote:
22 Oct 2023, 23:04
Ground Effect wrote:
22 Oct 2023, 23:03
What to expect in Mexico?
20 cars, one track and some nachos.
What about the mariachi? No one does Mariachi like Mexico
As long as it isn't Antonio Banderas with a case full of guns.

-Bandit

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

mwillems wrote:
22 Oct 2023, 23:09
FittingMechanics wrote:
mwillems wrote:
22 Oct 2023, 22:54

He and horner stated he was,but he did say he was also having issues with braking.

All of them are managing tyres, doesn't mean he had huge amount of pace. If he had they would have used it before the pitstop.
Because as soon as you cook the tyres you'll struggle to get them back, so you can only push at the end of the stint.

First pitstop VER went first, NOR followed next lap.

HAM stayed 4 or so more laps.

VER is now on medium and slowly coming closer to NOR, at about 2.2s he has a lockup and VER is in DRS range. In a couple of laps VER dives and Norris does not defend very hard.

Then Norris stays within DRS for 3-4 laps and then falls away to 3 seconds when he pits. Good stop 2s.

Verstappen responds, gets a slow 3.5s stop but comes out 1.5s ahead of Norris.

Norris is unable to match and loses a tenth or two until he is overtaken by Hamilton.

mwillems

FittingMechanics wrote:
22 Oct 2023, 23:24
mwillems wrote:
FittingMechanics wrote:

VER is now on medium and slowly coming closer to NOR, at about 2.2s he has a lockup and VER is in DRS range. In a couple of laps VER dives and Norris does not defend very hard.

Then Norris stays within DRS for 3-4 laps and then falls away to 3 seconds when he pits. Good stop 2s.

Norris is unable to match and loses a tenth or two until he is overtaken by Hamilton.
Horner confirming Max managed the pace and had a break issue the slowed him down by "a margin". This time I'm more awake and heard correct 🤣

-Bandit

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

mwillems wrote:
22 Oct 2023, 23:27
FittingMechanics wrote:
mwillems wrote:

Horner confirming Max managed the pace and had a break issue the slowed him down by "a margin". This time I'm more awake and heard correct 🤣
Everyone manages the pace on Pirellis.

His brake issue may be the reason it was close. It seems legit - Perez was matching Verstappens pace (or even going faster) and we know how unlikely that is.

mwillems

FittingMechanics wrote:
22 Oct 2023, 23:37
mwillems wrote:
22 Oct 2023, 23:27
FittingMechanics wrote:

Everyone manages the pace on Pirellis.

His brake issue may be the reason it was close. It seems legit - Perez was matching Verstappens pace (or even going faster) and we know how unlikely that is.
Of course, but here you are limited more by the temps. So you drive as fast as you can without putting too much heat into the tyres. He can just do that and go faster.

When he was ahead Lando was pushing and going for it and it did hurt his tyres, as Stella just explained.

I'm not sure what we are disagreeing on though 🤣
Last edited by mwillems on 23 Oct 2023, 00:24, edited 1 time in total.

-Bandit

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

And I was satisfied with the race, maybe because I realistically assessed the capabilities of the car on this track with a lot of slow corners. Third position at the finish is pretty good. Fourth podium in a row for Lando! That's great. This time my assumptions proved correct when I wrote that I expected to finish 2-3rd strong among the teams.

Well, we're third here, slower than Red Bull and Mercedes. And it's not frustrating or disappointing. Just a bit unhappy that the bump between Ocon and Oscar led to a delayed mutual convergence. I think Oscar could have brought another 6-8 points to the piggy bank, quite realistically.

The pace of the car was good. I think the limiting factor was the air temperature and increased degradation of tires. Other than that, it was good. A solid second pitstop for Lando in 2.0 seconds. The mechanics are doing a good job. Thanks again to the team for breaking the negative trend by building a fast car. And yes, we are fourth in the Constructors' Cup. Finally!

Darth-Piekus

Mclaren is 28 points behind Ferrari and Norris is 28 points behind Alonso with 4 races to go. I am confident that if Mclaren keeps being 2nd force then by the final race the team would secure third and Norris 4th.

Dafnalina
Dafnalina

Potential DSQ?

SilviuAgo

Dafnalina wrote:
23 Oct 2023, 01:05

Potential DSQ?
Lewis Hamilton and Charles Leclerc are under investigation for a potential plank rules breach during Formula 1’s 2023 United States Grand Prix.

The two drivers are potentially in breach of Article 3.5.9 e) of the 2023 Formula 1 technical regulations.

This section reads: “The thickness of the plank assembly measured normal to the lower surface must be 10mm [plus or minus] 0.2mm and must be uniform when new.

MCLvamos
MCLvamos

Id be amazed if they get away with anything less than a DSQ here. More points for Lando but obviously never great for others to lose out in this way even if they're rivals. The interesting thing for me is that it only occurred on one of the cars for Merc and Ferrari and also that it happened across two teams (with an issue that we haven't seen happen in god knows how long). Perhaps to due with the bumps here and those drivers just getting a bit unlucky perhaps?

organic

MCLvamos wrote:
23 Oct 2023, 01:16
Id be amazed if they get away with anything less than a DSQ here. More points for Lando but obviously never great for others to lose out in this way even if they're rivals. The interesting thing for me is that it only occurred on one of the cars for Merc and Ferrari and also that it happened across two teams (with an issue that we haven't seen happen in god knows how long). Perhaps to due with the bumps here and those drivers just getting a bit unlucky perhaps?
I think that with the new cars and the tighter plank rules with TD018 there is a ton of time to gain by running the cars lower but also very stringent rules. So teams are pushing up against the limit in this area. Merc clearly did so and almost had race winning pace - maybe part of their advantage this weekend

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Rules are rules. Disqualification required.