2023 Scuderia AlphaTauri F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Wouter

Re: 2023 Scuderia AlphaTauri F1 Team

organic wrote:
23 Oct 2023, 00:06
Wouter wrote:
23 Oct 2023, 00:04
organic wrote:
22 Oct 2023, 23:53
Ricciardo had damage and ran much of the race with a lot of debris lodged in his car

https://i.imgur.com/q5sSPxZ.mp4
On which laps was that? I have watched and compared their laptimes during the whole race. I am just curious.
Lap 47. When he stopped for the soft tyre (making his 2nd stop).

Contrary to what you've written, Ricciardo was actually on a 1-stopper but when it became clear that the 1-stopper was going to result in an absolutely dire result they boxed (far too late for a regular 2-stopper strategy) just to give time to Daniel running on low fuel with the soft tyre

OTOH Tsunoda's actual strategy was M-H-M which was probably the quickest way to run the grand Prix and they boxed for the softs right at the end because they had a pitstop gap and could get an extra point. Not to say Yuki didn't drive brilliantly - he did - but his strategy was perfect making the direct performance comparison to ricciardo useless

Ricciardo was from the beginning more than 0.5 sec per lap slower without debries in his car and on the same M and H tire.
I'll give you the stats tomorrow.
The Power of Dreams!

organic

Wouter wrote:
23 Oct 2023, 00:15
organic wrote:
Wouter wrote:

On which laps was that? I have watched and compared their laptimes during the whole race. I am just curious.

Contrary to what you've written, Ricciardo was actually on a 1-stopper but when it became clear that the 1-stopper was going to result in an absolutely dire result they boxed (far too late for a regular 2-stopper strategy) just to give time to Daniel running on low fuel with the soft tyre

OTOH Tsunoda's actual strategy was M-H-M which was probably the quickest way to run the grand Prix and they boxed for the softs right at the end because they had a pitstop gap and could get an extra point. Not to say Yuki didn't drive brilliantly - he did - but his strategy was perfect making the direct performance comparison to ricciardo useless

Ricciardo was from the beginning more than 0.5 sec per lap slower without debries in his car and on the same M and H tire.
He was running a 1-stopper from the beginning hence more management.. while Yuki was always running the 2-stopper hence he can push more

This situation will always create a pace difference

I believe the debris ricciardo had removed was picked up on lap 1 from Ocon anyway so would've affected from the start. Ricciardo also had damage from contact with Stroll

Engineer told Daniel he had damaged front brake duct and floor on the radio at the end.

In the sprint we saw ricciardo have competitive race pace, at least as quick as Yuki. There's not much merit in trying to claim that he's now 0.5s slower a day later with the same setup on the same track in similar conditions when so many factors point towards extraneous factors

HPD

Good job for Yuki.
Bad strategy for Richardo, but the whole weekend Yuki was faster

organic

Here's daniel's explanation of race issues

https://www.veed.io/view/cd2f47f5-fecd- ... anel=share

Pending outcome of the DQs Yuki could get 5 points here

runningmanz
runningmanz

Wouter wrote:
22 Oct 2023, 23:49
runningmanz wrote:
21 Oct 2023, 14:34
Wouter wrote:
21 Oct 2023, 09:49
What a great second debut for Ricciardo this year in the AT04 compared to Yuki! #-o
With all his experience in F1, he is much slower than Liam Lawson who took over from Ricciardo as a rookie.
Liam adapted to the car very quickly and immediately drove good sessions. And Ricciardo with his eternal big smile?
He was brought into SAT as the great savior. Well, when are we going to see that?
Sorry but this is complete BS and borderline trolling.
Ricciardo is leading the head to head 2-1 over Yuki in races and qualli before this weekend. He just again returned after breaking a bone in his hand in 7 places.
Besides that there is still the sprint and main race to go at Austin anyway.
djos wrote:
21 Oct 2023, 09:57
Seriously, You can't expect him to be beating Yuki immediately under those circumstances.

How about being a little more rational, and a little less keyboard warrior?

Well, we just had the main race in Austin and Ricciardo didn't beat Yuki. In fact, the opposite has happened.
Yuki on the M-H-M-S (3 stop) is no less than 38 seconds faster than Ricciardo on the M-H-M (2 stop).
So actually 63 seconds faster if you add a pit stop for Ricciardo!
Yuki drove great as always.=D> =D> =D> With the fastest lap ---> 2 points in the pocket!
Love how you wait until Yuki finishes ahead to start trolling again. You said nothing about Dan finishing ahead of Yuki in the sprint. Poor form and noone can take what you are saying seriously. At least give credit where credit is due.

Dan was within 3.5 secs of Yuki in that first stint after starting much further back. They left him out way too long and on a worse one stop strategy. It was obvious that and the debris damage is where he lost pretty much all his time after earlier closing in on Yuki in stint 1 but hey don't let facts get in the way of your biased story.

runningmanz
runningmanz

HPD wrote:
23 Oct 2023, 00:40
Good job for Yuki.
Bad strategy for Richardo, but the whole weekend Yuki was faster
How was he faster the whole weekend when Ricciardo beat him in the sprint qualli and race?? In the main race Ricciardo closed to within 3.5 secs before that first pit stop despite starting in 15th vs yuki in 11th. After that we know he had a poor strategy and car damage. No way you can call it as Yuki faster all weekend.

runningmanz
runningmanz

organic wrote:
23 Oct 2023, 00:16
Wouter wrote:
organic wrote:

He was running a 1-stopper from the beginning hence more management.. while Yuki was always running the 2-stopper hence he can push more

This situation will always create a pace difference

I believe the debris ricciardo had removed was picked up on lap 1 from Ocon anyway so would've affected from the start. Ricciardo also had damage from contact with Stroll

Engineer told Daniel he had damaged front brake duct and floor on the radio at the end.

In the sprint we saw ricciardo have competitive race pace, at least as quick as Yuki. There's not much merit in trying to claim that he's now 0.5s slower a day later with the same setup on the same track in similar conditions when so many factors point towards extraneous factors
Very true but those that don't explore or ignore all the facts are blind to this. Ricciardo after the race

"“On the medium compound, we were doing the same lap times as Yuki, but because I was on a one-stop, there was a bit more tyre management going on for me. Physically, I feel better today than yesterday, so the Sprint race was a good warmup for the Grand Prix."

AlphaTauri technical director Jody Egginton confirmed Ricciardo’s pace dropped off as a result of the damage his car sustained.

“Daniel’s race was more difficult later on, but he also put in a very well-managed first stint, opening up strategy options for him,” Eggington said.

“However, soon after his first stop, he picked up damage to brake duct parts, resulting in a significant loss of aero load and aero balance, meaning he was unable to run at the pace he was capable of and fell back into the chasing pack.

“Later on, we took the gamble to stop and try to resolve the issue in case of a late race Safety Car. Although we improved the car balance at the stop, the race finished without incidents, providing no opportunity to move him forward.”

The late pit stop allowed Ricciardo to record the fastest lap of the race but his teammate Yuki Tsunoda snagged the championship point by beating Ricciardo’s lap time on the very last lap.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/motorsport ... e35faf3522

djos

Wouter wrote:
22 Oct 2023, 23:49
runningmanz wrote:
21 Oct 2023, 14:34
Wouter wrote:
21 Oct 2023, 09:49
What a great second debut for Ricciardo this year in the AT04 compared to Yuki! #-o
With all his experience in F1, he is much slower than Liam Lawson who took over from Ricciardo as a rookie.
Liam adapted to the car very quickly and immediately drove good sessions. And Ricciardo with his eternal big smile?
He was brought into SAT as the great savior. Well, when are we going to see that?
Sorry but this is complete BS and borderline trolling.
Ricciardo is leading the head to head 2-1 over Yuki in races and qualli before this weekend. He just again returned after breaking a bone in his hand in 7 places.
Besides that there is still the sprint and main race to go at Austin anyway.
djos wrote:
21 Oct 2023, 09:57
Seriously, You can't expect him to be beating Yuki immediately under those circumstances.

How about being a little more rational, and a little less keyboard warrior?

Well, we just had the main race in Austin and Ricciardo didn't beat Yuki. In fact, the opposite has happened.
Yuki on the M-H-M-S (3 stop) is no less than 38 seconds faster than Ricciardo on the M-H-M (2 stop).
So actually 63 seconds faster if you add a pit stop for Ricciardo!
Yuki drove great as always.=D> =D> =D> With the fastest lap ---> 2 points in the pocket!
This is a technical forum, please save the uninformed banter for TikTok!

Daniel sustained damage to his front brake duct around the time he changed to the hard tires, and his engineer advised him on the radio that it had a major impact to the downforce (load) on his front axel, causing an imbalance.

The strategy didnt help either imo, 2 stops (getting rid of the Hard tires quickly in the middle stint) was clearly the faster way to race today.
"In downforce we trust"

djos

Wouter wrote:
organic wrote:
Wouter wrote:

Daniel spent the first 10 laps glued to Zho's gearbox, after that he was clearly in tire preservation mode for the rest of his Medium stint.
"In downforce we trust"

organic

COTA and Qatar shows that the team is probably the 7th fastest car now.

RB/Ferrari/Merc/McLaren clear top 4

Amr/alpine

In past couple of races and especially at COTA after the latest upgrade, alpha tauri have been rapid and mixing it with alpines. I believe with the downforce the car now produces, they should be able to score enough points to overtake Haas and maybe Alfa Romeo if lucky

djos

organic wrote:
23 Oct 2023, 05:29

Amr/alpine

In past couple of races and especially at COTA after the latest upgrade, alpha tauri have been rapid and mixing it with alpines. I believe with the downforce the car now produces, they should be able to score enough points to overtake Haas and maybe Alfa Romeo if lucky
The team have made real progress!

PS, in all the excitement over one user's uninformed opinion, I forgot to mention how impressed I was by Yuki's drive. He definitely made the most of his strategy and bagged some nice points.
"In downforce we trust"

runningmanz
runningmanz

djos wrote:
23 Oct 2023, 05:32
organic wrote:

Amr/alpine

PS, in all the excitement over one user's uninformed opinion, I forgot to mention how impressed I was by Yuki's drive. He definitely made the most of his strategy and bagged some nice points.
Yep he did a great job. What might have been though too had they not botched Dan's race strategy and he didn't get debris esp considering Hamilton and Leclerc got disqualified. Could have had both cars in the points.

djos

runningmanz wrote:
23 Oct 2023, 07:26
djos wrote:
organic wrote:

Amr/alpine

Yep he did a great job. What might have been though too had they not botched Dan's race strategy and he didn't get debris esp considering Hamilton and Leclerc got disqualified. Could have had both cars in the points.
True. I dont know why the team didn't pull him in as soon as they saw other drivers struggling on the Hards - it was pretty obvious very quickly that the Hard was a crap race tire and needed to be used and discarded as quickly as possible.
"In downforce we trust"

runningmanz
runningmanz

djos wrote:
23 Oct 2023, 07:31
runningmanz wrote:
23 Oct 2023, 07:26
djos wrote:

True. I dont know why the team didn't pull him in as soon as they saw other drivers struggling on the Hards - it was pretty obvious very quickly that the Hard was a crap race tire and needed to be used and discarded as quickly as possible.
Yeah I was pretty much yelling at the TV to call him in lol! The debris finished it all off tho. Tost pretty much says it all

"As for Daniel, in the middle of the first stint he had a problem with the front left brake duct which broke, affecting the aerodynamics heavily, and losing a lot of downforce. He then couldn’t perform well because the car was no longer balanced. We called him in for new tyres in case of a Safety Car, but unfortunately, it didn’t happen. I have to apologise to Daniel because of this car failure, which meant he couldn’t show a better performance. I’m convinced in Mexico he will come back, and hopefully, the car will be reliable, allowing him to perform a strong qualifying and good race. "

https://scuderia.alphatauri.com/en/us-gp-race/

runningmanz
runningmanz

Wonder how the team will go given Mexico is a low drag circuit due to the altitude. Could be good for the team given the car has great downforce now and the main problem has been drag on the straights.