2023 Scuderia AlphaTauri F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Wouter

Re: 2023 Scuderia AlphaTauri F1 Team

Let me start by saying that after the race I was not aware that Ricciardo had debris in the car on lap 47. I didn't hear anything about that over the board radio. @Organic informed me about that later. That makes a car go slower. How much was not indicated.
It also eluded me that he had been put on a one stopper first. I did wonder why he had to drive longer on Medium, but they get the tire strategy wrong much more often at SAT, so I didn't notice that at all. @Organic also informed me about that.
I had based my conclusions on the information I had before @Organic informed me.

That all this resulted in such a large gap to Yuki I find quite implausible, assuming that with all his experience and much more than Yuki he should be able to keep up with Yuki.

I found it quite remarkable that Franz Tost apologized to Ricciardo. I have never seen him do that in his entire career, even though they have made a huge number of mistakes in the past at SAT. Did Ricciardo's driving also disappoint Tost a bit?

Anyway, we are going to see how Ricciardo will perform against Yuki over the next four races and then we can take stock.
And no, I am not a troll and keyboard warrior. I just want the best for SAT and they have regressed tremendously and I was surprised that they placed Ricciardo there, whereas I expected young Liam there. They have always worked with young drivers.

EDIT: Finally online: https://en.mclarenf-1.com/2023/gp/s9173 ... s/849-786/

Image ... Image
Last edited by Wouter on 24 Oct 2023, 09:48, edited 1 time in total.
The Power of Dreams!

djos

Wouter wrote:
23 Oct 2023, 11:30
I found it quite remarkable that Franz Tost apologized to Ricciardo. I have never seen him do that in his entire career, even though they have made a huge number of mistakes in the past at SAT. Did Ricciardo's driving also disappoint Tost a bit?
How can you not see the lack of logic in your "query"? No TP in his right mind would apologise to a driver who had put in a disappointing drive. #-o
"In downforce we trust"

basti313
basti313

If you look at what happened after the race...most top teams ran split setups in ride height...I would not give anything on driver comparisons for this race.
Don`t russel the hamster!

TNTHead

basti313 wrote:
23 Oct 2023, 12:06
If you look at what happened after the race...most top teams ran split setups in ride height...I would not give anything on driver comparisons for this race.
But that we don't know, isn't it? Since they didn't test both cars, only the four mentioned.

runningmanz
runningmanz

djos wrote:
23 Oct 2023, 11:55
Wouter wrote:
23 Oct 2023, 11:30
How can you not see the lack of logic in your "query"? No TP in his right mind would apologise to a driver who had put in a disappointing drive. #-o
He is literally the only person here ridiculing Dans drive in the main race despite all the clear evidence now explaining what occurred. Tost and co knows the value Ricciardo brings to the team and want him to succeed. They have gold in a driver of Dan's experience if he can unlock his past high level driving. Even Yuki is constantly praising Dan for his great feedback etc.

Tost and many others know this result wasn't on Dan and he was driving well before the issues. This is all with hardly anytime in the newly upgraded car and still managing a recovering hand injury. Let's see what he can do in the next few races when he has some continuity with this team and he is back at peak fitness.

Exciting times for the team to come, they are on the up imo.

bigblue

God, this thread was super-quiet before, I wished there was more Alpha Tauri news. Now Ricciardo has joined it's a lot busier. "My driver's better than your driver!". "No, no, my driver's better, he had this, that and another, so was handicapped by x, so actually he was better". "No, no ...". I think I preferred it when it was quiet after all. Any chance we can leave out all the driver comparisons until the end of the season? No? Nope.

Wouter

Ricciardo: Hand “no excuse” for “miserable” Austin F1 comeback

Ricciardo was last on the road at Austin, crossing the line 17th before gaining two places after
Lewis Hamilton and Charles Leclerc were disqualified for running with overly worn floors.

“The hand is no excuse. I think that was good. We did well with the timing of the return to have no hesitations or excuses."

Ricciardo’s final stint was significantly hampered by running over debris that damaged his brake duct
resulting in a loss of aerodynamic load and balance. That left him to suggest retiring the car altogether.

“Unfortunately, we picked up some damage. I told the team that, ‘I'm sorry, guys, I got nothing right now. I really can't do anything’. That made our race a pretty miserable one.
At times, we lacked communication but I think especially once I got the damage, nothing really felt that constructive to give back because we're working with a suboptimal car.
But I would say in race conditions, next week I'll do better.”
Laptimes: https://en.mclarenf-1.com/2023/gp/s9173 ... s/786-849/
The Power of Dreams!

djos

How about you take you hate for Daniel some place else! Your silly vendetta is at odds with this being a technical forum!

Those whose opinion actually matters, disagree with your baseless opinion.

https://scuderia.alphatauri.com/en/us-gp-race/
Jody Egginton (Technical Director)

“Today’s race has been a busy one, but we achieved the objective of scoring points, and there was not much left on the table, so we are satisfied. Yuki ran a very good first stint, consuming his tyres well and not letting Gasly get too far ahead. His middle stint on the hard compound was a little more difficult, but again, he managed his tyres well. Then, after the second stop back to the medium compound, it was a case of going flat out to try to keep in touch with the Aston Martins, who were quicker in this phase of the race. Once we had the gap to Albon, the pit wall made a very good call to try to go for the fastest lap and grab the extra point on offer, which was a nice bonus today. Daniel’s race was more difficult later on, but he also put in a very well-managed first stint, opening up strategy options for him. However, soon after his first stop, he picked up damage to brake duct parts, resulting in a significant loss of aero load and aero balance, meaning he was unable to run at the pace he was capable of and fell back into the chasing pack. Later on, we took the gamble to stop and try to resolve the issue in case of a late race Safety Car. Although we improved the car balance at the stop, the race finished without incidents, providing no opportunity to move him forward. Overall, the car has worked quite well here in Austin, and we have been in the fight for and scored points, which is a positive. However, we need to continue to execute solid weekends, to be able to capitalise on this in the coming races, so there is a lot to still work on. With the event being the first of three Grand Prix weekends, there will be a very intense period of detailed analysis to ensure we take the relevant learning into next weekend’s race in Mexico.”
Franz Tost (Team Principal)

“Back into the points, so today was good. We decided to split the strategy between the two cars. Yuki was out for a two-stop strategy, while Daniel was for a one-stop. Both cars started on a new set of medium tyres. Yuki lost one position to Zhou in the first lap, but could overtake him in the second lap, and then was always near the top ten. He had good speed, so we extended his first stint, pitting him on lap 17 and switching to the new hard compound. He struggled a little, complaining about understeer, so we didn’t stay out too long and brought him in to change to the new medium tyre. This was also to keep Alonso behind us, which worked well. After the pitstop, Yuki came out in front of him, but the Aston Martins had too much speed and therefore, both Alonso and Stroll could overtake Yuki, who fell back to P11. Then, with Alonso retiring, Yuki moved up to P10. As Yuki was around 20 seconds ahead of Albon, the team decided to call him in for new soft tyres. He achieved the fastest lap, which meant the team scored two points. It’s important because in the last races, we’ve been unlucky and didn’t score any. As for Daniel, in the middle of the first stint he had a problem with the front left brake duct which broke, affecting the aerodynamics heavily, and losing a lot of downforce. He then couldn’t perform well because the car was no longer balanced. We called him in for new tyres in case of a Safety Car, but unfortunately, it didn’t happen. I have to apologise to Daniel because of this car failure, which meant he couldn’t show a better performance. I’m convinced in Mexico he will come back, and hopefully, the car will be reliable, allowing him to perform a strong qualifying and good race. The upgrades that we are introducing seem to work well. The aero department did a good job as the new floor we had on the car here improved the performance, so well done to the whole team, and we hope we can continue at this level until the end of the season. Being in a triple header, it was quite important for everyone to get these two points, as they give the team an additional push and motivation for the next races.”
"In downforce we trust"

runningmanz
runningmanz

Can't get a more legitimate explanation and backing than that. Honestly it's sad how some people are consumed with so much hate and ignorance for one driver. Banging on about laptimes in an attempt to sleight one driver when clearly they were both on different strategies is just daft and nothing more than negative bias and agenda stoking. Just glad the team can see the both drivers are a good fit currently, value what they are bringing to the table and everyone is constructively working as hard as they can to drive the team forward.
Last edited by runningmanz on 24 Oct 2023, 15:18, edited 1 time in total.

Wouter

djos wrote:
24 Oct 2023, 12:54
How about you take you hate for Daniel some place else!

Your silly vendetta
is at odds with this being a technical forum!

Maybe you didn't know it yet, but I can express my opinion here just as well as you, a huge Australian Ricciardo fan.

I don't hate Ricciardo at all. I do think he is overrated though. He hasn't really performed well in recent years.

It would be nice if you attack the post, not the poster. This is the second time.

Am I attacking you because you adore Ricciardo so much?! No, I don't! You are free to adore him.
djos wrote:
21 Oct 2023, 09:57
Wouter wrote:
21 Oct 2023, 09:49
How about being a little more rational, and a little less keyboard warrior?
The Power of Dreams!

runningmanz
runningmanz

Wouter wrote:
24 Oct 2023, 15:15
djos wrote:

Your silly vendetta

Maybe you didn't know it yet, but I can express my opinion here just as well as you, a huge Australian Ricciardo fan.

I don't hate Ricciardo at all. I do think he is overrated though. He hasn't really performed well in recent years.

It would be nice if you attack the post, not the poster. This is the second time.

Am I attacking you because you adore Ricciardo so much?! No, I don't! You are free to adore him.
djos wrote:
Wouter wrote:
21 Oct 2023, 09:49
Your opinion is basically just trolling for a reaction, because you never congratulate him when he does well and constantly criticize him even despite valid explanations for his performance such as what Tost and Egginton just stated. It's not rational or fair and as such expect a response from not just his fans but I would think anyone really hoping for a fair minded discussion.

You go on about not performing in recent years, I assume you mean in the odd McLaren, it wasnt at Renault thats for sure. Well how about letting him settle in to AT with a fully healed hand and a decent amount of races and continuity and let's see if he can recapture the form of his 2020 Renault stint or better still his RBR years. Not only that too see how his valuable input helps also shape the car development going forward. I'm sure this is what the team hired him for and I can provide you a long list of praise from drivers, teams and ex drivers regarding this so called "overrated" driver. How about we give it time to see how this plays out first..

Wouter

runningmanz wrote:
24 Oct 2023, 15:28
Wouter wrote:
djos wrote:

Your silly vendetta

djos wrote:
Your opinion is basically just trolling for a reaction, because you never congratulate him when he does well and constantly criticize him ...
😘
I'm so, so sorry that I didn't congratulated him when .... eh, when .... eh ...... #-o
The Power of Dreams!

CMSMJ1
CMSMJ1

Wouter wrote:
24 Oct 2023, 15:56
runningmanz wrote:
24 Oct 2023, 15:28
Wouter wrote:

Your opinion is basically just trolling for a reaction, because you never congratulate him when he does well and constantly criticize him ...
😘
I'm so, so sorry that I didn't congratulated him when .... eh, when .... eh ...... #-o
Give it a rest will you, Wouter?

It's like kindergarten with this level of bickering. Posting to elicit the reaction is trolling.
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

HPD

Wouter

CMSMJ1 wrote:
24 Oct 2023, 17:39
Give it a rest will you, Wouter?

It's like kindergarten with this level of bickering. Posting to elicit the reaction is trolling.

I am NOT posting to elicit a reaction!! I am not trolling!!

Tjeez, can/may I only be positive of Ricciardo on this forum?

Almost no one here posted on this SAT thread I opened last December until recently.
I was almost the only one who kept providing information and now I'm no longer allowed to post my opinion here?!

This was my last post on the SAT thread.
The Power of Dreams!