2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Andres125sx

Re: 2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

Vanja #66 wrote:
25 Oct 2023, 09:27
Xyz22 wrote:
24 Oct 2023, 17:30
Hamilton was too strong, but yeah Charles would have passed Norris for sure.

Charles was super quick this weekend considering how strong Sainz usually is and the issues of the SF 23 that are terrible for Leclerc's driving style. Unfortunately, as usual, Ferrari ruined his weekend. Not the first time and won't be the last.
Unfortunately for both himself and Ferrari, Sainz is fixated only on getting and staying ahead of Leclerc in the race in whatever way possible. In the first stint, he let Max blow past him without trying to hold him back to help save the P3 that Ferrari had with Leclerc at that point, only to hook on to Max with DRS to keep up and get right behind Leclerc in order to try and pass him. He lacked the pace to do so though.

His attitude, complaining and constant opposition to putting the team ahead of himself is not received well within the team since Binotto left. It doesn't look like he'll be staying after next year. And to me it looks like he'll scorch the earth on his way out, hope I'm wrong.

So a F1 driver trying to beat his teammate? Holly lord, he should be banned from F1! :lol: :lol:

Contrary to your claims, Sainz is a team player, and Ferrari said it repeatedly. You can provide some source or quote to prove your point if you can find some, but you cannot because your claims are plain false. Prove me wrong with some quote from Ferrari please!

Only that he´s not Charles wingman, even if some fans assume he should be exactly that. Sainz role is determined by Ferrari team, not by Leclerc fans fortunately :wink:

Xyz22
Xyz22

According to Duchessa Red Bull and McL gave up 0.1s of performance by raising the floor. Leclerc's car was in better condition than Lewis car.
Highly likely that a lot of cars were not compliant.

Vanja #66

Xyz22 wrote:
26 Oct 2023, 11:21

According to Duchessa Red Bull and McL gave up 0.1s of performance by raising the floor. Leclerc's car was in better condition than Lewis car.
Highly likely that a lot of cars were not compliant.
Not surprising, Lewis was really pushing and Max was clearly not as fast as he would have liked at all times.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Xyz22
Xyz22

Peter Windsor thinks that the long first stint was the main reason behind the plank being worn too much.
That would be hilarious.

Cs98
Cs98

Xyz22 wrote:
26 Oct 2023, 12:33
Peter Windsor thinks that the long first stint was the main reason behind the plank being worn too much.
That would be hilarious.
:lol: I don't know why folks need to come up with outlandish theories for a rather simple issue. The car was too low.

organic

Xyz22 wrote:
That would be hilarious.
His reasoning also makes no sense.

If there was any reason to the correlation he's seen between stint length and those running into plank wear issues it's far more likely to be because teams worried about their planks picked strategies like the 1-stop that would involve less pushing, lower cornering speeds & end of straight speeds and consequently less plank wear..

Xyz22
Xyz22

organic wrote:
26 Oct 2023, 12:46
Xyz22 wrote:
That would be hilarious.

If there was any reason to the correlation he's seen between stint length and those running into plank wear issues it's far more likely to be because teams worried about their planks picked strategies like the 1-stop that would involve less pushing, lower cornering speeds & end of straight speeds and consequently less plank wear..
I have no idea, really. Duchessa said the biggest damage to the planks was done in the first stint but yeah i doubt that pitting earlier would have changed things.

Anyway, i'm expecting Ferrari to take a new PU this weekend.

Mansell89
Mansell89

Guys trying to recall Mexico 2022- did Ferrari turn down their PUs for reliability concerns in the high altitude or have I misremembered/misunderstood last years discussion?

If they did- any such concerns for this years Grand Prix?

organic

Xyz22 wrote:
26 Oct 2023, 12:51
organic wrote:
26 Oct 2023, 12:46
Xyz22 wrote:
That would be hilarious.

I have no idea, really. Duchessa said the biggest damage to the planks was done in the first stint but yeah i doubt that pitting earlier would have changed things.

No doubt the plank damage was mostly done in the beginning with the highest fuel loads. But when you box doesn't mean you run more or less laps heavy
Mansell89 wrote:
26 Oct 2023, 12:52
Guys trying to recall Mexico 2022- did Ferrari turn down their PUs for reliability concerns in the high altitude or have I misremembered/misunderstood last years discussion?

If they did- any such concerns for this years Grand Prix?
Yes they were protecting the turbos last year

But if you remember the turbo is also what caused the failures for Leclerc @ Barcelona and Baku. So this component was vulnerable in 2022.. and the issues that caused them to be so conservative at Mexico have probably been sorted out given we haven't seen any turbo failures on Ferrari PUs this season as far as I'm aware

Vanja #66

Xyz22 wrote:
26 Oct 2023, 12:51

As a rough explanation, you have about 900kg of static load of fueled car and this drops down to 800kg by the end of the race. At about 100 kmh these cars generate 300-350kg of downforce to the best of my knowledge. At 160-170 they reach their own weight in downforce and at 200 they are at well over 1200kg of downforce. As they use fuel, the weight loss enables the cars to run slightly faster through corners and this means you get more downforce.

However, even if this downforce increase depends on velocity squared at lower speeds the increase is not that much bigger - so under a certain low speed you have more vertical load at the start of the race than at the end. 10% higher speed at 100kmh means jumping from e.g. 300 to about 360kg, while 10% more at 200kmh means jumping from 1200 to 1450kg of downforce.

If this info is true, we can assume the problems with wear came in slower corners (bumps and kerbs) and also likely in braking zones. There are at least two things Ferrari could have done to offset this, but both cost performance. Either you raise the car and lose downforce or you increase the spring stiffness in the first part of suspension travel - which basically costs you traction out of slower corners.

There is also a possibility that running the car longer in first stint meant the tyre thread was lower than they expected, so they went over the critical ride height threshold and I would not be surprised by this since the team clearly lacks consistent tyre understanding when they model their strategy simulations. This report is also contradictory to some "inside" info I shared earlier about Leclerc going to hard in the final laps trying to salvage whatever he could and so he hit the bumps to hard at certain places, which was most likely an early theory the team investigated.

#BlessYouLaddie

organic

Andres125sx wrote:
26 Oct 2023, 14:52
Vanja #66 wrote:
26 Oct 2023, 13:49
This report is also contradictory to some "inside" info I shared earlier about Leclerc going to hard in the final laps

But if it was true, then we are also wasting our time looking for reasons for the wear, when someone from Ferrari already explained it. It was Leclerc going over certain parts of the track more often than they instructed both drivers before the race, but Leclerc ignored that instruction in a desperate attempt to save 2 points from Russel, but the result of that decision was he lost 6 points (assuming Rusel would have pass him, if not then he lost 8 points) #-o

What is the source for that?

Henri
Henri

how ferrari and merc are being checked the most but not the most dominant car in the year ?

K1Plus
K1Plus

Henri wrote:
26 Oct 2023, 16:23
how ferrari and merc are being checked the most but not the most dominant car in the year ?
Maybe they don't want Mercedes and Ferrari closing in on the Red Bull and the "big three" dropping away from the pack again? I mean my theory could be pure BS, but yeah.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Henri wrote:
26 Oct 2023, 16:23

Vanja #66

organic wrote:
26 Oct 2023, 14:53
What is the source for that?
To be clear, it was a member who shared this with me outside of forum, who has first hand info from Ferrari. And I clearly stated Leclerc "may" have pushed too much, it wasn't a statement of certainty...

#BlessYouLaddie