2023 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
ringo

Re: 2023 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

<...>
What I said is very logical and the data supports it. Max did not have any tangible brake issue from the data. Nothing was wrong with his car.
The main changes were race fuel weight, wind and track temperature and stint length.
He was complaining about the rear end in the early part of the race if i remember and his engineer said it was the wind and nothing is wrong. The RB19's only handicap was the height and lack of running which everyone else had to deal with.
Anyhow let's see how things translate in Mexico.
For Sure!!

ringo

Race debrief of COTA

Someone needs to ask James why are the pit stops so slow and when can the team expect to focus on improving the stops?

If they do get a front row car, I dont see them winning races if redbull or mclaren can undercut them by virtue of much faster stops.
For Sure!!

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

“We were illegal, so clearly, we should have had our car set a little bit higher up to give ourselves a little bit more margin. It's of course a mistake, it's an understandable sort of mistake in a sprint weekend where it's so much harder to get that stuff right, especially on a bumpy track.

“But a lesson for us in the future to make sure that we take more margin especially at a track like that with all its bumps.”

Analysis: The can of worms opened by Hamilton and Leclerc’s F1 US GP disqualifications

But while Allison admitted that the squad was almost “embarrassed” to have fallen foul of a rules transgression, he said the team had taken positives from the overall performance of the upgraded W14.

“Of course, the disqualification is a significant blow,” he said. “It’s a miserable feeling. It hurts and everybody here feels it.

“Everybody is upset, embarrassed to a degree as well because we absolutely don’t like being on the wrong side of the rules and just lamenting the lost points.
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/merce ... /10537757/

Mansell89
Mansell89

What are your thoughts on Merc putting up a fight for the win this weekend?

I’ve got my eye on them given their improved performance in Austin and the high altitude meaning they lighten the drag penalty that they seemingly suffer with this season?

Cant help but feel they will have McLarens number in the stadium section and last year Ferrari were careful with their PU I think? So depending on whether the altitude dampens some of Red Bulls efficiency, I’m thinking Merc might be in a good space this weekend?

r85
r85

Mansell89 wrote:
26 Oct 2023, 11:36
What are your thoughts on Merc putting up a fight for the win this weekend?

I’ve got my eye on them given their improved performance in Austin and the high altitude meaning they lighten the drag penalty that they seemingly suffer with this season?

Cant help but feel they will have McLarens number in the stadium section and last year Ferrari were careful with their PU I think? So depending on whether the altitude dampens some of Red Bulls efficiency, I’m thinking Merc might be in a good space this weekend?
I hope so. Mercedes and maximum downforce tend to go well together this generation. I think Mercedes will have McLaren covered in S1 + S3 and maybe even Red Bull.

Henri
Henri

merc and ferrari are slower than redbull but are always being checked ??🤔 .. this is not random corruption is at play

Luscion
Luscion

Henri wrote:
26 Oct 2023, 16:22
merc and ferrari are slower than redbull but are always being checked ??🤔 .. this is not random corruption is at play
While you can say its a little odd that Merc and Ferrari have been checked more than RB considering how low it rides and how dominate they are. Its a reach to call it corrruption imo

cplchanb
cplchanb

Luscion wrote:
26 Oct 2023, 16:32
Henri wrote:
26 Oct 2023, 16:22
While you can say its a little odd that Merc and Ferrari have been checked more than RB considering how low it rides and how dominate they are. Its a reach to call it corrruption imo
if the fia wants the public to regain their confidence in them they need to disclose just how they pick the cars to "randomly" check. do they pick from a hat? close their eyes and point at a list? get a random name generator? rock paper scissors?? :arrow:

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Luscion
Luscion

and some more context

ringo

Ok then.... so they didnt have to check in COTA but checked because mercedes podiumed.
The fact they check in 9 races only... pick ferrari and mercedes most of the time.. shows the process is not random. It's more spontaneous than random. And the sponeteniety occurs when ferrari or mercedes podium. :P
For Sure!!

j_ste
j_ste

Toto should query that. Would be funny if lewis is "randomly" selected again this weekend

Mosin123
Mosin123

For some thing that is supposed to be random, it doesnt look very random.

hollus

I read, I think in the race thread, someone suggesting that "random" does not mean that they choose people to check at random, but that it is random whether any floors will be checked... but if they check, they can choose who to check.
Choosing a mixture of top cars and cars that visibly had some bottoming seems to make sense, then.

Not sure if it it like that or not, but it fits the pattern. Random times, picked drivers. Why check a backmarker car that is set up high and barely attacks the kerbs?
Rivals, not enemies.

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

I find it slightly funny because if this happened to another team, you would go out of your way to politely hint that it was at best a miscalculation but more than likely deliberate cheating.

Let the FIA do their thing on this. I’m glad things are being picked up and for me any team scoring points in a Grand Prix should get their plank checked