2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
diffuser

Re: 2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

organic wrote:
27 Oct 2023, 13:42
xReVo wrote:
27 Oct 2023, 08:10
organic wrote:
27 Oct 2023, 02:27

It's also normal across the board for the max dwf config to still have double pillar. From what's been said, the main advantage of the single pylon is an efficiency increase - something that's not exactly relevant at Mexico
Well actually there is a very long straight in Mexico, which is why they are testing two wings (Monaco and double pillar) because in the race you then risk being like McLaren at Spa.
I actually think they risk being Aston Martin @ Japan.

Mexico with high downforce wings at max speeds of over 350 km/h produce very high loads.

The rb16b RW assembly was continually breaking & cracking when it raced in Mexico in 2021. This happened after the flexible wing TD earlier in the season - the Flexi wing TD would mean that the rear wing flexes less so the maximum load experienced will be higher and may exceed design parameters

AMR are already worried about their RW breaking under load as occured for their medium-high wing at Japan. Perhaps this year's flexible wing TDs could have a similar effect as in 2021, so they are checking that the single pylon is ok to use and if not they have the more structurally sound double pylon from 2022
Remember, after Strolls retirement, they asked Alonso to stay off the curbs. It wasn't a load issue.

organic

diffuser wrote:
27 Oct 2023, 14:47
organic wrote:
xReVo wrote:
27 Oct 2023, 08:10

Well actually there is a very long straight in Mexico, which is why they are testing two wings (Monaco and double pillar) because in the race you then risk being like McLaren at Spa.

Mexico with high downforce wings at max speeds of over 350 km/h produce very high loads.

The rb16b RW assembly was continually breaking & cracking when it raced in Mexico in 2021. This happened after the flexible wing TD earlier in the season - the Flexi wing TD would mean that the rear wing flexes less so the maximum load experienced will be higher and may exceed design parameters

AMR are already worried about their RW breaking under load as occured for their medium-high wing at Japan. Perhaps this year's flexible wing TDs could have a similar effect as in 2021, so they are checking that the single pylon is ok to use and if not they have the more structurally sound double pylon from 2022
Remember, after Strolls retirement, they asked Alonso to stay off the curbs. It wasn't a load issue.
Does that explain why they had load sensors mounted to pylon of the RW already on Thursday? If unlucky kerb strike I don't think they'd have extra sensors ready at beginning of weekend

I feel the call to avoid kerbs could easily be precautionary even if they don't know exact cause of stroll's issue. Suzuka kerbs are far from aggressive

issey
issey

organic wrote:
27 Oct 2023, 14:48
diffuser wrote:
organic wrote:

Does that explain why they had load sensors mounted to pylon of the RW already on Thursday? If unlucky kerb strike I don't think they'd have extra sensors ready at beginning of weekend

https://i.imgur.com/4SPJmYI.jpeg

I feel the call to avoid kerbs could easily be precautionary even if they don't know exact cause of stroll's issue. Suzuka kerbs are far from aggressive
Aston Martin wanted to control wing bending after the tightening controls by the FIA that introduced TD018 Technical Directive in Singapore. The sensors were capable of measuring the inflections of the side bulkheads. Also Stroll got the call to avoid the kerbs after his rear wing was already loose, they just wanted to try to continue the race and thats why he got told to avoid the kerbs.

diffuser

issey wrote:
27 Oct 2023, 15:04
organic wrote:
27 Oct 2023, 14:48
diffuser wrote:

https://i.imgur.com/4SPJmYI.jpeg

Aston Martin wanted to control wing bending after the tightening controls by the FIA that introduced TD018 Technical Directive in Singapore. The sensors were capable of measuring the inflections of the side bulkheads. Also Stroll got the call to avoid the kerbs after his rear wing was already loose, they just wanted to try to continue the race and thats why he got told to avoid the kerbs.
Alonso got told, not Stroll. Stroll retired.

I agree it could have been precautionary.

issey
issey

OnEcRiTiCaL
OnEcRiTiCaL

issey wrote:
27 Oct 2023, 18:25
Of course they have,just is modified, so don't have to report for FIA. Only the full new parts have to register. The edited ones not.

issey
issey

issey
issey

No problems just a rear wing change

KimiRai
KimiRai

Ted Kravitz was wrong according to the FIA sheet, it happens, unless he meant something that wasn't declared.

diffuser

issey wrote:
27 Oct 2023, 20:38
Now we know why they brought that rear wing.

organic

diffuser wrote:
27 Oct 2023, 21:33
issey wrote:
My theory in the mud

using old rear wing to collect data from the rear as they know exactly how that wing behaves?

diffuser

KimiRai wrote:
27 Oct 2023, 21:28
Ted Kravitz was wrong according to the FIA sheet, it happens, unless he meant something that wasn't declared.

I can never find that FIA sheet.

diffuser

organic wrote:
27 Oct 2023, 21:34
diffuser wrote:
27 Oct 2023, 21:33
issey wrote:
My theory in the mud

using old rear wing to collect data from the rear as they know exactly how that wing behaves?
It's for the floor, rear brake ducts and all that stuff. Nothing to do with the wing. The wing is just holding it.

diffuser

close, no ?

KimiRai
KimiRai

diffuser wrote:
27 Oct 2023, 21:34
KimiRai wrote:
27 Oct 2023, 21:28
I can never find that FIA sheet.

According to The Race "Mercedes and Aston Martin have declared no upgrades, presumably because they have the required cooling capacity on components already available."