2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
CjC
CjC

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

mwillems wrote:
28 Oct 2023, 20:46
Err, Albon is second on a Medium?

Piastri's time looks good, Norris is in the right ballpark, there's nothing scary about those times and we are one good lap away from top 3 or 4. But what on earth is Albon doing in second with Mediums??

I didn't get to watch the practise, I'm told pumpkin carving with the kids is more important than FP3.
Yea as Organic said, Alvin’s fastest time in on a soft but he did go second using the medium tyre on the early runs when the others were on softs.

Enjoy the pumpkin carving- you have 2 hours and 3 minutes to finish!!
Just a fan's point of view

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

CjC wrote:
28 Oct 2023, 20:57
mwillems wrote:

Piastri's time looks good, Norris is in the right ballpark, there's nothing scary about those times and we are one good lap away from top 3 or 4. But what on earth is Albon doing in second with Mediums??

I didn't get to watch the practise, I'm told pumpkin carving with the kids is more important than FP3.
Yea as Organic said, Alvin’s fastest time in on a soft but he did go second using the medium tyre on the early runs when the others were on softs.

Alvin and the chipmunks? :lol:
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

CjC
CjC

Ground Effect wrote:
28 Oct 2023, 21:02
CjC wrote:
mwillems wrote:

😂😂
That’s him👍🏻

mwillems

organic wrote:
28 Oct 2023, 20:48
mwillems wrote:

Albon was on softs but Williams seem legitimately quick over 1 lap and even on race simulations are competitive. It's possible they're running lighter than everyone still - in silverstone for instance they were quick but everyone else stepped up more relative to FPs

Relative to Fp2 RB have turned back up their engines which could explain the deficit to them creeping up again
Yeah I did think they were holding back more than us, or carrying more fuel.

I went to the first website I saw with the times and it showed Albons time as being set with Medium. It makes more sense now! Still it is very fast, however I think they won't be quite that high come Q, so we are fighting for 3rd, second looks like a push but doable.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

mwillems

Ground Effect wrote:
28 Oct 2023, 21:02
CjC wrote:
mwillems wrote:

:D

-Bandit

mwillems

CjC wrote:
mwillems wrote:

Ahhh come qualifying the kids are dead to me :lol: :lol:

-Bandit

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

I'm amazed how the F1TV commentators get excited about Williams - this is not first time they were good in practices only to have no pace in qualifying. I think it is likely that they run their engines harder or use less fuel than other teams.

F1TV seemed to think Lando might have a chance for pole. I'd love to see that - we were close multiple times but never got it. Especially as Ferrari and Mercedes have poles this season.

CjC
CjC

FittingMechanics wrote:
28 Oct 2023, 22:45
I'm amazed how the F1TV commentators get excited about Williams - this is not first time they were good in practices only to have no pace in qualifying. I think it is likely that they run their engines harder or use less fuel than other teams.

F1TV seemed to think Lando might have a chance for pole. I'd love to see that - we were close multiple times but never got it. Especially as Ferrari and Mercedes have poles this season.
If, as you say they are excited by Williams, why haven’t they got Albon earmarked for pole?

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

CjC wrote:
28 Oct 2023, 22:48
FittingMechanics wrote:
28 Oct 2023, 22:45

If, as you say they are excited by Williams, why haven’t they got Albon earmarked for pole?
When I said F1TV thinks Lando might have a chance, that was Sam Collins in his analysis.

The rest of the gang made various predictions, I think usually for fun. I think someone did say Albon for pole.

Darth-Piekus

Im hearing we are using Mediums for Q1?

organic

Darth-Piekus wrote:
28 Oct 2023, 23:05
Im hearing we are using Mediums for Q1?
Got a set saved so might as well

Darth-Piekus

Are we trying to save a soft by doing as few laps on it as possible?

mwillems

Albon is nowhere, and the track is rubbering in very quickly, those banker laps are worthless, no point wasting a set of softs.

-Bandit

Darth-Piekus

Are we gonna go full Medium in Q1 or bolt in the Softs for this new run?

mwillems

Darth-Piekus wrote:
28 Oct 2023, 23:12
Are we gonna go full Medium in Q1 or bolt in the Softs for this new run?
Softs.

-Bandit