2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Juzh wrote:
29 Oct 2023, 15:15
Scorpia wrote:
29 Oct 2023, 13:55
Engines are not included in the budget cap if I’m not mistaken.
no, they're not, but sometimes even logistical problems can prevent component "stockpiling", i know it happened in the past with customer teams.
They will have a spare, logistics won't factor. I'd be surprised if they don't change.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

CjC
CjC

MCLvamos wrote:
29 Oct 2023, 16:04
organic wrote:
29 Oct 2023, 15:26
PikeStance wrote:
29 Oct 2023, 11:13
I do not have a problem with boxing Norris on his lap, but if you going to do that, then you do not have the luxury of "running with the pack." He should have gone back out almost immediately. In the past, the first run in Q1 was generally good enough to be in the top 15. As someone once told me, if you put yourself in a position for something bad to happen, you have only yourself to blame when something does.

I don't get the discussion about the drivers. Ideally, we want them both on the podium and I don't care which. I don't think there is an issue with Norris so much as Piastri driving well. besides, what's the alternative to Norris? Going forward, it doesn't matter who's in front as long as the team comes first.
Norris went back out earlier than others to do two attempts. It just so happened that he had a mistake on the first attempt and a yellow flag on the second

With the way track temperature was fluctuating, there was no guarantee that a soft run with >10mins left would be enough to go through

Besides, the elimination of Norris, now that the car issue has been confirmed, required: a car issue, a costly error, and a yellow flag

To me that can and does happen to any team. I don't think it was a blunder in terms of the calls McLaren made. The only blunder was the error on the 2nd fast lap when Norris shouldn't have been on the limit yet
Yep, but the car issue is on the team. I totally agree, Lando has himself to blame for yesterday, but the medium run would've got him through and there is no denying that failing to do that is on the team.
What laptime do you think his medium run would have produced?
Just a fan's point of view

mwillems

MCLvamos wrote:
organic wrote:
PikeStance wrote:
29 Oct 2023, 11:13
I do not have a problem with boxing Norris on his lap, but if you going to do that, then you do not have the luxury of "running with the pack." He should have gone back out almost immediately. In the past, the first run in Q1 was generally good enough to be in the top 15. As someone once told me, if you put yourself in a position for something bad to happen, you have only yourself to blame when something does.

I don't get the discussion about the drivers. Ideally, we want them both on the podium and I don't care which. I don't think there is an issue with Norris so much as Piastri driving well. besides, what's the alternative to Norris? Going forward, it doesn't matter who's in front as long as the team comes first.
Norris went back out earlier than others to do two attempts. It just so happened that he had a mistake on the first attempt and a yellow flag on the second

With the way track temperature was fluctuating, there was no guarantee that a soft run with >10mins left would be enough to go through

Besides, the elimination of Norris, now that the car issue has been confirmed, required: a car issue, a costly error, and a yellow flag

To me that can and does happen to any team. I don't think it was a blunder in terms of the calls McLaren made. The only blunder was the error on the 2nd fast lap when Norris shouldn't have been on the limit yet
Yep, but the car issue is on the team. I totally agree, Lando has himself to blame for yesterday, but the medium run would've got him through and there is no denying that failing to do that is on the team.
What was the issue with the car?

-Bandit

MCLvamos
MCLvamos

mwillems wrote:
29 Oct 2023, 16:36
MCLvamos wrote:
organic wrote:

Not sure but that is why he was called in before the lap finished. Confirmed on McLaren's post quali report

mwillems

MCLvamos wrote:
29 Oct 2023, 16:45
mwillems wrote:
MCLvamos wrote:

Not sure but that is why he was called in before the lap finished. Confirmed on McLaren's post quali report
Right. Not sure that they did anything wrong by calling him in though, but I'm sure we'll hear more.

-Bandit

Tomsky
Tomsky

mwillems wrote:
MCLvamos wrote:
organic wrote:

"We had uncertainty on the fuel system that we needed to check.

"Therefore we decided to call the car in, have some time to check and then be ready to go on the final run on Softs, which in any case would have been the decisive run.
"So we thought rather than taking the risk that the problem actually forces us not to do the run on Softs, we just wanted to take the prudent approach and pull the car in."
https://racingnews365.com/mclaren-revea ... qualifying

mwillems

Tomsky wrote:
29 Oct 2023, 17:45
mwillems wrote:
MCLvamos wrote:

"Therefore we decided to call the car in, have some time to check and then be ready to go on the final run on Softs, which in any case would have been the decisive run.
"So we thought rather than taking the risk that the problem actually forces us not to do the run on Softs, we just wanted to take the prudent approach and pull the car in."
Thanks, team sound like they did the right thing.

-Bandit

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

_cerber1

Spoutnik wrote:
29 Oct 2023, 18:13
This is the case when there are no censorship words for this.

PikeStance

mwillems wrote:
29 Oct 2023, 17:51
Tomsky wrote:
29 Oct 2023, 17:45
mwillems wrote:

Thanks, team sound like they did the right thing.
Yeah, it sounds like we were a victim of unfortunate events.
<-Pike----
Expat American in Guangzhou
Native New Orleans

Ben1980
Ben1980

So, I'm guessing the team aren't as worried about the engine, compared to us keyboard warriors. I'm guessing there must be some impact to taking a change though. As it seems so obvious, to not do it, must have a reason.

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

If it seems sooooo obvious for keyboard warriors then clearly there is another very good reason we are not privy too wrt why they won’t change the engine today.
The team know what they’re doing. Show some faith

Ben1980
Ben1980

101FlyingDutchman wrote:
29 Oct 2023, 18:36
If it seems sooooo obvious for keyboard warriors then clearly there is another very good reason we are not privy too wrt why they won’t change the engine today.
The team know what they’re doing. Show some faith
Throughout the season, they've shown they are on top of things, so I trust they know what they are doing here.

Wouter

Deleted by owner.
Last edited by Wouter on 29 Oct 2023, 19:58, edited 2 times in total.
The Power of Dreams!

Emag
Emag

Why wouldn't they change the engine though? Am I missing something?

It makes no sense, it's a literal penalty bypass for potential gains in the upcoming weekends too.