2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Schippke
Schippke

Re: 2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

Maybe it would've been worth splitting the strategy - Leclerc on the (used) Mediums and Sainz on Fresh Hards. That way, if the Mediums ended up going off a cliff, Sainz might've been able to act as a rear-gunner for Charles... but they didn't need to worry about it anyway with George falling back.

At least then they cover both bases... and at least one way was going to work out better.

I'm still in the camp of believing the Mediums would've been the better choice; The team did over 30 laps with them on both cars, on high fuel, with the track continually getting rubbered in and both drivers right before the stops were still happy with the degradation. The fact Lewis made it work and set the fastest lap at the end shows they still had plenty of life left in them, and I don't think the degradation on the Ferrari was any worse than it was on the Mercedes (at least in Charles' case). If anything, might've been the other way around...

Either-way, nice haul of points... chase is still on for P2 in the Constructors.

organic

P2 in WCC seems doable given Mercedes could be weak at Vegas and Abu Dhabi. 20 points in it and Russell is off the boil

Z-one
Z-one

Xyz22 wrote:
30 Oct 2023, 01:55
Brazil is the perfect place to take engine penalties.

They can exploit their capability of arriving with a good base setup for the sprint weekend. Quali won't be relevant as they will start from the back.
Sprint quali will be important as they could score important points in the sprint. Then they could change the setup based on the sprint data to improve the car for the race, by starting from the pitlane which won't be that different from starting last.

A red flag / SC at the right time could put the Team in a very good position. I think they could gain even up to 0.5s with a good race setup compared to the other teams.
Another aggressive strategy is to use new pu only in FP1,and use old one in weekend,which can save mileage as much as possible. In Vegas, we can have pu with full power
The mankind’s courage and resolution will be witnessed and remembered by stars.

ferrarifire
ferrarifire

Am not sure whether it is possible..Mercedes tud better after the upgrade...we may settle for p3
organic wrote:
30 Oct 2023, 03:48
P2 in WCC seems doable given Mercedes could be weak at Vegas and Abu Dhabi. 20 points in it and Russell is off the boil

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

ferrarifire wrote:
30 Oct 2023, 07:49
Am not sure whether it is possible..Mercedes tud better after the upgrade...we may settle for p3
organic wrote:
The issue for Mercedes is Russell. Hamilton will probably find a way to be close/ahead of Carlos & Charles like today but Russell will probably not. Today Ricciardo ended up in his gearbox. He could've finished P7, given the fact that Perez retired it's not over yet

Xyz22
Xyz22

Norris also had almost no deg in the last stint with the mediums. They were the best tyre for sure, maybe bar Red Bull for whatever reasons.

search

Spoutnik wrote:
30 Oct 2023, 09:35
ferrarifire wrote:
organic wrote:
The issue for Mercedes is Russell. Hamilton will probably find a way to be close/ahead of Carlos & Charles like today
probably, but unless Las Vegas comes with any major surprises in regards to tire wear, I'd normally think it's a track Ferrari can even win on.

Interlagos on the other hand could suit Mercedes fairly well, of course, so they'll likely extend the gap there, especially if Ferrari takes a penalty.

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

search wrote:
30 Oct 2023, 10:16
Spoutnik wrote:
ferrarifire wrote:
The issue for Mercedes is Russell. Hamilton will probably find a way to be close/ahead of Carlos & Charles like today
probably, but unless Las Vegas comes with any major surprises in regards to tire wear, I'd normally think it's a track Ferrari can even win on.

Interlagos on the other hand could suit Mercedes fairly well, of course, so they'll likely extend the gap there, especially if Ferrari takes a penalty.
I don't think it's impossible that one of the car or both of them gets ahead of Russell at Interlagos. The track require a powerful engine/good straight line speed and a very good traction which are two strong point for Ferrari. There's not so much high radius/very high load corners so I think everything is possible there.

basti313
basti313

Spoutnik wrote:
ferrarifire wrote:
organic wrote:
The issue for Mercedes is Russell. Hamilton will probably find a way to be close/ahead of Carlos & Charles like today but Russell will probably not. Today Ricciardo ended up in his gearbox. He could've finished P7, given the fact that Perez retired it's not over yet
Well, this is just a straw. Brazil is a two stop, Abu is a two stop....I do not see Ferrari ahead of any Mercs there, too much room to f*** up the strategy and too easy to overtake.

Furthermore there is McLaren in the game, I expect them to be ahead in both venues.

My bet would be to take engine penalties in Brazil and set the car up for the Sprint. Then take as many points with a strong engine from the Sprint and look for possibilities in the race...they will anyways not beat McLaren and Merc on merit there.
Don`t russel the hamster!

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

basti313 wrote:
30 Oct 2023, 10:35
Spoutnik wrote:
ferrarifire wrote:

Well, this is just a straw. Brazil is a two stop, Abu is a two stop....I do not see Ferrari ahead of any Mercs there, too much room to f*** up the strategy and too easy to overtake.

Furthermore there is McLaren in the game, I expect them to be ahead in both venues.

My bet would be to take engine penalties in Brazil and set the car up for the Sprint. Then take as many points with a strong engine from the Sprint and look for possibilities in the race...they will anyways not beat McLaren and Merc on merit there.
We will see. But I think beating Piastri, Russell and Perez is doable.
Concerning Abu Dhabi I believe it will be one of the best track for the SF23 characteristics

Xyz22
Xyz22

We were 1s slower than RB with the hards. Embarrassing.

search

scuderiabrandon wrote:
30 Oct 2023, 01:20
jambuka wrote:
30 Oct 2023, 01:17
Wtf ! Leclerc reporting to stewards for driving unsafe after collision ? It would be so unjust if he gets a penalty.
unsafe condition, that was regarding the broken endplate.

They never waved black and orange flag so they can't penalize the team or the driver.
the rules were changed at the end of the 2022 season. In case of minor damages (endplates, mirrors etc) it's now up to the teams to decide if it's safe to continue or not. But if they make the wrong call, and it turns out to be unsafe in the end, they get penalized afterwards.

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... reparatur/

LM10
LM10

Xyz22 wrote:
30 Oct 2023, 11:31
Yea, let’s just mention the stint on the hards, but not the first stint on the mediums for Charles who had a decent pace and on top of that better deg being in dirty air with a broken endplate.

basti313
basti313

Spoutnik wrote:
30 Oct 2023, 10:45
basti313 wrote:
30 Oct 2023, 10:35
Spoutnik wrote:

We will see. But I think beating Piastri, Russell and Perez is doable.
Concerning Abu Dhabi I believe it will be one of the best track for the SF23 characteristics
Perez will maybe beat himself and if two at the front are up for a tango, that is one or two places more. This is what I mean with "look for possibilities in the race".
Both Abu and Brazil are hard on the tires, I guess your hope is mainly on the engine end? I see no way how Ferrari should be better on tires than Merc an McLaren. So my take is....do everything with the engine and get a new one for this.
Don`t russel the hamster!

Xyz22
Xyz22

LM10 wrote:
30 Oct 2023, 12:51
Xyz22 wrote:
30 Oct 2023, 11:31
Yea, let’s just mention the stint on the hards, but not the first stint on the mediums for Charles who had a decent pace and on top of that better deg being in dirty air with a broken endplate.
I already said the pace was good in the first stint.
This race actually reminded me of Saudi Arabia. Decent performance in the first stint and awful in the second one.
At least we have made huge progress from that race (where we were even 2s slower in some laps), even though we are still miles away.