Silly season 2024-2025

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
organic

Re: Silly season 2024-2025

Alonso to RB??

djos

ScottB wrote:
30 Oct 2023, 16:44
djos wrote:
30 Oct 2023, 16:23
ScottB wrote:
30 Oct 2023, 16:09
Replacing Perez for next season probably makes sense, if they're convinced Daniel is going to be a better bet, but this year, Perez is still in P2 and could well retain that spot. Dropping him now would be daft unless there's been some massive falling out behind the scenes, or Sergio himself has decided to retire on the spot etc.

They have absolutely nothing to lose leaving him in now and nothing immediately obvious to gain from swapping him out?
Getting out qualified by Daniel in a midfield car certainly can’t be good for Checo’s career! Imagine if Daniel was in the RBR seat, he’d actually be competitive week in week out and the team would get a lot more WCC points.
True, though, I think it makes sense to see if Daniel can keep this up for the rest of the year, and as said, there's still a chance Sergio manages to cling on to P2, which is all RBR have left to fight for.

Unless of course Sergio has just decided to sack it all in and walk on the spot, but that doesn't seem likely...
Agreed, this is the smart approach.
Last edited by djos on 30 Oct 2023, 22:56, edited 1 time in total.
"In downforce we trust"

djos

organic wrote:
30 Oct 2023, 20:58
Alonso to RB??
Seems very unlikely when they have Daniel at AT and Liam Lawson waiting in the wings.
"In downforce we trust"

fourmula1
fourmula1

Throwing out a unlikely theory - Max to retire end of season. He actually looked emotional on the podium.

Zynerji

fourmula1 wrote:
31 Oct 2023, 00:18
Throwing out a unlikely theory - Max to retire end of season. He actually looked emotional on the podium.
It would be as unexpected as another WDC is expected in 2024...

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

Zynerji wrote:
31 Oct 2023, 00:47
fourmula1 wrote:
It would be as unexpected as another WDC is expected in 2024...
Nothing is certain in F1. If Max were to retire? He's said it himself he wants to race in other
categories before he's past his best. But I don't think he will retire yet. He might walk away
from F1 in 2026 if Red Bull haven't produced the goods so to speak with the power unit or he doesn't
like the style of racing.
organic wrote:
30 Oct 2023, 20:58
Alonso to RB??
I'd laugh myself into needing an ambulance for an asthma attack if Red Bull
were that insane. I think it's more probable Alonso might have decided to retire
from F1. Would explain the "No tweet" that kicked this all off.

I'm prepared to be completely underwhelmed by what the rumour turns out to be.

TimW
TimW

fourmula1 wrote:
That was actually my first thought when I read Fabrega's tweet. Verstappen is unlikely to ever improve on the current season, as things are going it may be that most dominant wdc win ever. So why continue?

Also, it is the only scenario where the Alonso to Red Bull rumour makes sense....

langedweil

I'd say AF was just referring to the Audi withdrawal rumour, right ?
Would be absolute bonkers in terms of already vetted investments. Then again, the VAR-group as a whole isn't doing very well financially as of late, and with lots of new ppl
on the boards it could maybe be plausible there's some losses to be cut.
I personally don't think they will step out, it's rather being used like some sort of leverage.
HuggaWugga !

ali623
ali623

TimW wrote:
31 Oct 2023, 21:45
fourmula1 wrote:
That was actually my first thought when I read Fabrega's tweet. Verstappen is unlikely to ever improve on the current season, as things are going it may be that most dominant wdc win ever. So why continue?

Also, it is the only scenario where the Alonso to Red Bull rumour makes sense....
Verstappen retiring from F1 because he is too dominant would be disastrous for the sport.

Personally, I'd love to see Max to join another team. As you say, he effectively achieved all he can and wanted to with Red Bull. I can't really see him ever joining Ferrari, but maybe someone like Aston Martin? Or switching with Norris to join McLaren.

organic

ali623 wrote:
01 Nov 2023, 11:58
TimW wrote:
31 Oct 2023, 21:45
fourmula1 wrote:

Verstappen retiring from F1 because he is too dominant would be disastrous for the sport.

Personally, I'd love to see Max to join another team. As you say, he effectively achieved all he can and wanted to with Red Bull. I can't really see him ever joining Ferrari, but maybe someone like Aston Martin? Or switching with Norris to join McLaren.
I can definitely see him joining Ferrari. Not now but down the line.

Some comments from throughout 2023
“It has an incredible history in this sport and is a great opponent to compete against,” said Max to Sportweek.

“Future at Ferrari? When my current contract expires I will be 31 years old and I think I can still do well.”
“People always ask me if I have a dream team. I know Ferrari has an amazing history in Formula 1 and is an amazing team to race for, but I always said to myself I just want to be in the fastest car. I had to wait a few years to be in the fastest car and now we do have the fastest car and that is a great feeling,” he said.

“At this stage, if it happens, it happens but I’m very happy where I am and for me personally, the desire of having to drive for one particular team at all costs, no,” the Dutchman added.

Big Tea

Ref the possible Audi withdrawal, how would Andretti stand if he bought up the rights or what ever the term is for their ongoing entry? If it has been accepted, can it now be refused due to a change of ownership?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

Big Tea wrote:
01 Nov 2023, 13:39
Ref the possible Audi withdrawal, how would Andretti stand if he bought up the rights or what ever the term is for their ongoing entry? If it has been accepted, can it now be refused due to a change of ownership?
Audi from what I remember bought a minority stake in Sauber, which holds the F1 entry license (or whatever it's called). I'd guess the biggest waste of cash for Audi will have been on the Power Unit development if they withdraw. VW will look like absolute cretins for yet again attempting to enter F1 and then getting cold feet. Sauber's entry into F1 will be fine, no matter what Audi ends up doing.

I think with the advent of Social Media, Silly Season is 24/7 now. From what I managed to dig up, the Alonso to Red Bull rumour was started on Tiktok a while ago. I think that one is pure fantasy.

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

"Already at Interagos. By the way, for the many of you who have asked me about the rumor, I can only tell you that it had nothing to do with driver exchanges between teams, or withdrawals. Go for it #BrazilianGP !"
https://x.com/AlbertFabrega/status/1719 ... 55262?s=20

CMC
CMC

How many extra "followers" has this whole act gained him?

Zynerji

Alfa Tauri Rosso