2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
organic

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Fuel loads obv different across board

mwillems

organic wrote:
03 Nov 2023, 18:12

https://i.imgur.com/0Y6z9rV.jpeg
Piastris long run was 4 laps?

I just looked at the data from F1 Tempo and it's missing a bunch of laps, not sure if it is the API or just that the chart has a cut off for laps outside of a percentage of the drivers fastest time, as the API does this by default, which means they did a lot of in and out runs, and not really any long runs as it has removed the In laps and Out laps.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

mwillems

organic wrote:

From the same guy, but testing on a sprint weekend is very hard to get a read on.

-Bandit

Macklaren
Macklaren

interesting given that the view was most teams would run long with high fuel loads to test plank wear

Macklaren
Macklaren

mwillems wrote:
03 Nov 2023, 18:45
organic wrote:

From the same guy, but testing on a sprint weekend is very hard to get a read on.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F-BYmCDXYAA ... name=large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F-BYPLEXQAA ... name=large
this chart looks like one of those deep sea videos showing mysterious squids and stingrays

mwillems

Macklaren wrote:
03 Nov 2023, 18:47
interesting given that the view was most teams would run long with high fuel loads to test plank wear
Some teams don't, Mercedes in the last sprint race didn't do a heavy fuel long run test, or so they say, and that was the reason they didn't identify that the ride height was too low.

I guess it just depends on what aspects of the setup you have confidence in.

-Bandit

mwillems

Just wondering, do you need to do a long run to test plank wear? There are sensors on the suspension and wheels, they know how much the car is travelling up and down, and when it is being stopped by road and not by the suspension itself, and wouldn't they be aware of how much travel is left in the suspension? This would be enough to understand if the suspension is set to a ride height that will result in excess wear. Plus the physical test and eye test on the plank after the runs.

I don't know if this is the case, but it feels like it is something the teams would monitor.

-Bandit

CjC
CjC

mwillems wrote:
03 Nov 2023, 19:00
Just wondering, do you need to do a long run to test plank wear? There are sensors on the suspension and wheels, they know how much the car is travelling up and down, and when it is being stopped by road and not by the suspension itself, and wouldn't they be aware of how much travel is left in the suspension? This would be enough to understand if the suspension is set to a ride height that will result in excess wear. Plus the physical test and eye test on the plank after the runs.

I don't know if this is the case, but it feels like it is something the teams would monitor.
I wouldn’t say they need to do a run just do a few laps with full tanks?
Just a fan's point of view

Macklaren
Macklaren

mwillems wrote:

yes but as was pointed out above, during a Sprint week teams may not do a full long run in FP1 and you dont get full plank loads with simulations and sensors (as it happened in Qatar)

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Emag wrote:
03 Nov 2023, 17:54
Anyone was keeping tabs on long run pace? This session was pretty much useless when it comes to predicting order so long runs might be the only useful bit of information to get out of it.
It almost seems as if teams use the sprint for long runs data instead, didn’t notice any significant long runs.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

mwillems

Macklaren wrote:
03 Nov 2023, 19:25
mwillems wrote:

yes but as was pointed out above, during a Sprint week teams may not do a full long run in FP1 and you dont get full plank loads with simulations and sensors (as it happened in Qatar)
Yeah, I was replying to your surprise that they weren't doing long runs, and I was having a shot as to why they wouldn't need to. I don't think it is necessary to do long runs to get a reasonable gauge of what your setup needs to be at this track, long runs are more about tyres. Austin is different however.

-Bandit

mwillems

Well this is shaping up to be an interesting session...

-Bandit

Marc.W

Good banker for Lando, hopefully won't have to run again, Oscar on used softs for first run I believe

mwillems

Max complaining of the car jumping like a Kangaroo, but watching the Mclaren running it was much the same for us, though I think the RB runs a little firmer.

-Bandit

mwillems

Marc.W wrote:
03 Nov 2023, 20:21
Good banker for Lando, hopefully won't have to run again, Oscar on used softs for first run I believe
Yeah he was on used. Let's see how the track rubbers in. And if there is rain, it could threaten Oscar if he doesn't get another lap in before.

-Bandit