2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
saputra_25
saputra_25

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Darth-Piekus wrote:
03 Nov 2023, 21:19
Not really much. It was pure luck for the wind to change so quickly like that. Nobody can easily predict the weather on pin point accuracy.
Then you de-risk the unpredictable wind direction by go as early as possible when the condition close to Q2. even slight drop of rain will not get you faster. Then just go early, even non F1 strategist can read that situation easily. They just screw up the opportunity to get a front row, very annoying

Marc.W

Lando saying pole was well within reach #-o

Sunday we'll get past the Aston's pretty quicky, Ferrari and Merc will be harder work

Macklaren
Macklaren

OMGG someone teach this team to read a weather radar!!!! Absolutely nuts to keep your car in the garage when there is a massive black shelf cloud headed your way. Esp. when you have the pace -- is the extra 0.01s of rubbering in worth it??? UGHHH
on the other hand, gonna be fun watching Lando scythe through the field on Sunday

Darth-Piekus

saputra_25 wrote:
03 Nov 2023, 21:32
Darth-Piekus wrote:
Not really much. It was pure luck for the wind to change so quickly like that. Nobody can easily predict the weather on pin point accuracy.
Then you de-risk the unpredictable wind direction by go as early as possible when the condition close to Q2. even slight drop of rain will not get you faster. Then just go early, even non F1 strategist can read that situation easily. They just screw up the opportunity to get a front row, very annoying
It's very easy to say that as none of us have the data that they have. Nobody expected for the wind and rain to have come much earlier than expected and at the same time keep the tyres warm enough.

Seerix
Seerix

Ben1980 wrote:
Again, I'm not that fussed. Still good to see the car performing well.
3 out of 4 last qualis Lando is starting out of position while not being under much pressure really.
Gets me worried how the results would look like if McLaren would be (hopefully) in fight for something big.
But like I said, I'm just soo frustrated :D car is good

Darth-Piekus

Seerix wrote:
03 Nov 2023, 21:35
Ben1980 wrote:
3 out of 4 last qualis Lando is starting out of position while not being under much pressure really.
Gets me worried how the results would look like if McLaren would be (hopefully) in fight for something big.
I am confident that they will be improving their strategy team before 2024 so they will be ready for situations like these.

mwillems

Darth-Piekus wrote:
03 Nov 2023, 21:34
saputra_25 wrote:
Darth-Piekus wrote:
It's very easy to say that as none of us have the data that they have. Nobody expected for the wind and rain to have come much earlier than expected and at the same time keep the tyres warm enough.
"F1 team in changing weather can ruin lap shocker"

Expect to see at in all the papers tomorrow :D

They may well have predicted the rain OK, but the longer they left it the bigger the risk and they knew that, and I have no doubt the team will come out and own it, but it is the reality.

Also, you don't need quite as much data when there is the biggest black cloud known to man coming over the circuit, to realise you are taking a risk.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Marc.W

Maybe they were expecting Alien spacecarft to emerge from that cloud instead of weather

Darth-Piekus

And if the risk worked you would be praising them. Unfortunately the wind and the rain picked up earlier than normal. If happens to everyone.

Ben1980
Ben1980

Macklaren wrote:
03 Nov 2023, 21:33
OMGG someone teach this team to read a weather radar!!!! Absolutely nuts to keep your car in the garage when there is a massive black shelf cloud headed your way. Esp. when you have the pace -- is the extra 0.01s of rubbering in worth it??? UGHHH
on the other hand, gonna be fun watching Lando scythe through the field on Sunday
7 minutes was said on the radio by a team, then it was 2 minutes within 2 minutes. The radars change pretty quickly.

Ben1980
Ben1980

Ben1980 wrote:
03 Nov 2023, 21:44
Macklaren wrote:
03 Nov 2023, 21:33
7 minutes was said on the radio by a team, then it was 2 minutes within 2 minutes. The radars change pretty quickly.
Sorry, they said 7 minutes into the session

Darth-Piekus

It doesn't matter now. It happened. At Sunday the team has the car to eat all of the front bar Verstappen for breakfast.

Ben1980
Ben1980

Seerix wrote:
Ben1980 wrote:
The lack of pressure is why they can push more or risk somethings. It's a free hit. They went for optimum, it didn't work out. But still 7th, which isn't disastrous.

The team has nothing to play for apart pushing as much as possible

Darth-Piekus

The good thing is that the car seems faster than Mexico and both of our drivers should be able to deliver at Sunday.

mwillems

Seerix wrote:
Ben1980 wrote:
This isn't on the drivers though, but yeah, in a big season these kinds of calls can make the difference. They wanted glory and it didn't work out but I don't think the team would take such a risk in a title season. But by and large the pitwall has done well this year, last week being rather good indeed. Other than being oblivious to being overtaken in the rain ( :lol: ), I don't thing this is a regular issue and not something to worry about.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit