2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
McL-H
McL-H

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

So many missed opportunities these last GP’s..

Marc.W

Incredible comparison

avantman
avantman

Lando was right behind Leclerc on the road. He braked way too late into 12, both Max and Leclerc braked significantly earlier there. I think it was driving mistake, rather than weather.
Also, due to dissapointment from his mistake, Lando forgot to open DRS in time, which costed him another 0.2-0.3s

Dafnalina
Dafnalina

Penalty for Russell means Lando starts on the dirty side of the grid from 6th. He can't catch a break.

Dafnalina
Dafnalina

avantman wrote:
04 Nov 2023, 00:02
Lando was right behind Leclerc on the road. He braked way too late into 12, both Max and Leclerc braked significantly earlier there. I think it was driving mistake, rather than weather.
Also, due to dissapointment from his mistake, Lando forgot to open DRS in time, which costed him another 0.2-0.3s
After watching his onboards he broke really early due to the weather and still went wide. There wasn't much he could do.

avantman
avantman

Dafnalina wrote:
04 Nov 2023, 00:13
avantman wrote:
After watching his onboards he broke really early due to the weather and still went wide. There wasn't much he could do.
Watch the telemetry instead of onboards. He braked later than on his fastest lap in Q2, Verstappen for example braked a bit earlier. Leclerc braked A LOT earlier compared to his best lap in Q2. As a result, Leclerc who was just ahead of Lando even gained laptime on Max after T12. Lando was equal to Charles before this braking zone and lost everything there. Sainz who was right behind Lando braked a lot later than Leclerc and lost a lot too.

Dafnalina
Dafnalina

I still think it's pointless to blame the drivers when the direction of a gust of wind from one second to the other could change everything. They did what they had to do.

elldizzle
elldizzle

Honestly, we need to look at ourselves. This team is not performing like a team that could challenge for wins. Why weren't we out early for the q3 run like everyone else?. They could see the rain coming like everyone else. Missed a beat there, which I think cost us. The pace is there which is promising.

Ben1980
Ben1980

Did someone say Leclerc was 7 seconds ahead of Lando, and he got 2nd. It was that tight.

I'm sure Ferrari didn't expect it to be that tight, nor did Red Bull with Perez also behind.

avantman
avantman

Sainz was right behind Lando on the track, like 5-6 seconds behind. He was 0.7s slower than Lando coming to that braking zone into T12. He finished the lap with the same lap time. And as I said, Sainz braked late too and lost 0,3s to Leclerc(who was like 10 seconds in front.) in T12 and the following straight. So, Lando's loss wasn't because it was wet. That's it. Was it a gust of wind or was it a mistake, you decide.

CjC
CjC

Just seen quali.
Ouch.
We keep seeing these flashes of speed but no end result it seems.
Just a fan's point of view

organic

avantman wrote:
04 Nov 2023, 00:19
Dafnalina wrote:
04 Nov 2023, 00:13
avantman wrote:
Watch the telemetry instead of onboards. He braked later than on his fastest lap in Q2, Verstappen for example braked a bit earlier. Leclerc braked A LOT earlier compared to his best lap in Q2. As a result, Leclerc who was just ahead of Lando even gained laptime on Max after T12. Lando was equal to Charles before this braking zone and lost everything there. Sainz who was right behind Lando braked a lot later than Leclerc and lost a lot too.
Makes sense. Shame but sometimes you don't read the conditions perfectly

Slahinki
Slahinki

Lando says in the quali report that the team just didn't do a good enough job of getting out on track at at the right time. I interpret what Stella says the same way, he just doesn't put it directly.

Xyz22
Xyz22

avantman wrote:
04 Nov 2023, 00:39
Sainz was right behind Lando on the track, like 5-6 seconds behind. He was 0.7s slower than Lando coming to that braking zone into T12. He finished the lap with the same lap time. And as I said, Sainz braked late too and lost 0,3s to Leclerc(who was like 10 seconds in front.) in T12 and the following straight. So, Lando's loss wasn't because it was wet. That's it. Was it a gust of wind or was it a mistake, you decide.
Yeah they both made a mistake. Of course, going out earlier would have been better, but Lando could have finished quali in P3 despite starting the lap late.

Dafnalina
Dafnalina

No, I don't think so
https://www.the-race.com/formula-1/mark ... chiest-q3/
"But McLaren was taken out of the Q3 reckoning by getting out too late - eighth and ninth - and therefore finding the rain which had begun to fall lightly at Turn 1, which Leclerc immediately ahead had just missed."
"It’s an ill-wind which does no-one any good. This one didn’t help Perez or McLaren, but for Leclerc and Aston it was a great boon. Verstappen, you sense, would have been first regardless."
I think Lando could've put the lap of his life and still it wouldn't have changed much in those conditions