2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Darth-Piekus

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

MCLvamos wrote:
04 Nov 2023, 14:17
Also hearing murmurs from people supposedly at the track on twitter that the McLarens were further ahead in the queue but then were held up by the stewards. Any truth to this? Would excuse the situation a little.
Interesting. Anyone knows about that?

CjC
CjC

Had a look at qualifying again and the queue in the pit lane for the start of Q3 was the 2 Astons, 2 Mercs, Verstappen, Leclerc then Norris…. So….🤷🏼‍♂️
Maybe the rumours have come from the same source who said Alonso to Red Bull :lol:
Just a fan's point of view

Darth-Piekus

Anyway. I think its pointless at this point to try to find out what happened. Im confident the team will learn and they will come back better in 2024 in all areas.

If there was a miscalcuation yesterday the team has a chance today to reedeem themselves by doing an 1-2 if they are able.

MCLvamos
MCLvamos

Hoping for a big result for Lando today. Don't usually care much for sprint Saturday but it would be a nice boost going into what will be a critical start to the GP on Sunday.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Ben1980 wrote:
04 Nov 2023, 11:05
Not sure any of it was on Lando, if I recall. They said, whether would stay the sane until end of the race, and if it did he would likely have won. Even when lewis boxed he didn't want to, but they had used Bottas to test. Then it rained, hard. Though, when Lewis pitted, I guess the only way to win was try and hold on and hope.
Even that is not really important - Hamilton was in P2 and had a big gap to P3. He was able to pit onto intermediates WITHOUT losing any track position. If Norris had such an opportunity, it would have been an easy decision but he was P1 and he would give away track position to Hamilton if he went to pit onto inters.

Also we need to remember how crazy that end of the race was, not only that the rain was extremely heavy but that there was no one crashing. Any type of crash would mean safety car or red flag and Lando win.

I think that Sochi was not a mistake at all - especially if they did not have clear data that the deluge was about to start. It is just unfortunate that Hamilton had clear and easy decision (switch without losing track position) and then "clean" race to the end.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

MCLvamos wrote:
04 Nov 2023, 14:17
Also hearing murmurs from people supposedly at the track on twitter that the McLarens were further ahead in the queue but then were held up by the stewards. Any truth to this? Would excuse the situation a little.
I don't think this is true, team was just caught unaware as everyone came out 3 minutes before the green flag - I felt it is too early and that their tires will cool off. Looking at Oscars first sector that seems to be accurate, Oscar was fastest in first sector. It's just that the rain/wind was already starting by the time they started the lap.

Darth-Piekus

It was a pity but what can you do? All we can do is hopefully both drivers reedeem themselves today but Oscar doesnt have a soft so he might be a little behind.

Bad news. Both of our drivers are being checked by the stewards for maximum delta time.

MCLvamos
MCLvamos

Darth-Piekus wrote:
04 Nov 2023, 16:20
It was a pity but what can you do? All we can do is hopefully both drivers reedeem themselves today but Oscar doesnt have a soft so he might be a little behind.

Bad news. Both of our drivers are being checked by the stewards for maximum delta time.
Will be amazed if thats penalised. Everyone on the grid has got away with that in the last few races.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Darth-Piekus wrote:
04 Nov 2023, 16:20

Maximum delta is usually not an issue - many people are checked every race. Everyone needs to stay out of each others way so this delta time is easily accepted.

Darth-Piekus

They are also mentioning an unsafe release regarding Lando Norris on Leclerc. Hopefully if Lando gets pole they won't penalize him. After all they didn't do anything to the Ferraris at Monza.

Can Piastri get one good lap from the softs to start high if possible?
Last edited by Darth-Piekus on 04 Nov 2023, 17:06, edited 1 time in total.

mwillems

Woooo!
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Darth-Piekus

Oh wait. It's over. Good job Lando Norris. Your first sprint pole. I wasnt looking at the time.

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

Boom. S2 and S3 were mighty!

Darth-Piekus

It's a pity that Oscar didn't have a fresh soft set.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Lando after setting his lap said "Why am I so --- at qualifying". He felt the lap was bad.

I think Oscar did not have a new soft - could be why his lap suffered in later sector.s