2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Seerix wrote:
05 Nov 2023, 12:51
CjC wrote:
05 Nov 2023, 12:46
In the sprint Verstappen only had better deg.
Perez…. Well he reckoned he had to use more of his tyre up overtaking cars so in clean air he too may have had better deg than Lando.
Thats useful info from Perez really to temper our own expectations of Lando. Starting p6 means he’s going to have to use his tyres up to overtake cars ahead- if he can that is.
However it’s supposedly cooler today
Right, but Lando also had to overtake Russell and he was ~1.5s behind Max for most of the sprint. I think PER just had worse deg than Lando overall.
Like you mentioned, colder temps today could shuffle it today though.
Should be OK for the Meds and Softs, but makes the Hards possibly even more useless if Pirelli's assertions are correct.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

_cerber1

mwillems wrote:
05 Nov 2023, 12:12
Optimum strategy is S-M-S
If we dream of a podium, then Lando will have to fight and overtake a lot at the beginning of the race, and it is better to have harder tires than soft ones. I think that M2-Mn-Sn will be much better than the soft at the beginning.

mwillems

_cerber1 wrote:
05 Nov 2023, 13:11
mwillems wrote:
05 Nov 2023, 12:12
Optimum strategy is S-M-S
If we dream of a podium, then Lando will have to fight and overtake a lot at the beginning of the race, and it is better to have harder tires than soft ones. I think that M2-Mn-Sn will be much better than the soft at the beginning.
I was speaking in general which may be misleading in a Mclaren forum :D We only have one new soft so it is not the strategy we can take. if we had two new soft then I'd say lets wait and see how it pans out. The track will rubber in and a soft stint at the end will last longer than a soft stint at the start but that doesn't mean it will work for us. But it is a moot point, Lando only has one new soft and Oscar none.

Edit: And to add, the mediums have also been a strong and versatile tire of late.
Last edited by mwillems on 05 Nov 2023, 13:28, edited 3 times in total.

-Bandit

CjC
CjC

mwillems wrote:
05 Nov 2023, 12:56
CjC wrote:
mwillems wrote:
05 Nov 2023, 12:20
Red Bull think our wing is too small for this race. I suppose we could develop a high downforce wing with the cutouts etc but it's just a waste of money this season so better to run the Med-High wing in full AoA.

Does this suggest we might struggle with our tires? I didn't watch the sprint yesterday, did we drop off more than others around us?

Perez…. Well he reckoned he had to use more of his tyre up overtaking cars so in clean air he too may have had better deg than Lando.
Thats useful info from Perez really to temper our own expectations of Lando. Starting p6 means he’s going to have to use his tyres up to overtake cars ahead- if he can that is.
Interesting. It explains why Mercedes are using the same wing here as at Monaco, Mexico and Austin (But not Singapore). Maybe we get more DF from our floor than anyone except RB so perhaps it isn't needed in relation to those behind. I don't think there's any doubt that we need more from the car to beat Red Bull.

Still, it is interesting to hear Red Bull question our setup.
If anything it means there are looking at and analysing Mclaren. Someone I doubt they have done for alllllooooonnngggg time🤣
Just a fan's point of view

mwillems

CjC wrote:
05 Nov 2023, 13:24
mwillems wrote:
05 Nov 2023, 12:56
CjC wrote:

Interesting. It explains why Mercedes are using the same wing here as at Monaco, Mexico and Austin (But not Singapore). Maybe we get more DF from our floor than anyone except RB so perhaps it isn't needed in relation to those behind. I don't think there's any doubt that we need more from the car to beat Red Bull.

Still, it is interesting to hear Red Bull question our setup.
If anything it means there are looking at and analysing Mclaren. Someone I doubt they have done for alllllooooonnngggg time🤣
Amen!

-Bandit

Marc.W

I'd say it's more like Red Bull can run as much wing as they want to have a better race car and protect the tyres, but still be a couple of tenths faster than the whole field, than McLaren running "too small a wing"

CjC
CjC

https://www.the-race.com/formula-1/norr ... s-showing/

Good read.

I read a comment by a reader on another article from ‘the race’ who likened Piastris current form is akin to his compatriot who he replace which I think is mighty harsh on Oscar. He’s a rookie and the drive he replaced had 10? Years experience when he went to McLaren? It’s not a fair comparison if you ask me.

CjC
CjC

Seerix wrote:
05 Nov 2023, 12:51
CjC wrote:
Right, but Lando also had to overtake Russell and he was ~1.5s behind Max for most of the sprint. I think PER just had worse deg than Lando overall.
Like you mentioned, colder temps today could shuffle it today though.
I believe the wind has changed direction too😬

mwillems

Marc.W wrote:
05 Nov 2023, 13:31
I'd say it's more like Red Bull can run as much wing as they want to have a better race car and protect the tyres, but still be a couple of tenths faster than the whole field, than McLaren running "too small a wing"
Possibly, others are running bigger wings, so it is a setup choice though. Obviously the car is fast enough so it's just a tyre deg question, and I suppose that question will be answered in a few hours.

-Bandit

organic

I think P2 is a given with a clean race. It's about whether SC, strategy or luck can bring P1 into range

Mansell89
Mansell89

With Oscar do we take a chance on a 2 lap old soft tyre to start the race to get some grip off the line and hopefully a bit of track position before then being aggressive with undercuts with two fresh medium tyres till the end?

I’d quite like to have two new mediums up my sleeve today- think it’s the tyre to be on.

A fresh set of softs is handy for any late safety cars so Lando has that available.

Really do think Oscar has more pace here than he was able to show yesterday and the tyres might fall right for him if he could make that first stint on a used soft work out for him. Cant help but feel he’s got the opportunity to a) gain position off the line and in the early laps or b) pit early for his first medium fresh set for clean air and undercut the Astons and Alfas to get himself in the top 5 or 6. I’m not discounting a podium if the cards drop right in that strategy.

As for Lando- well Lance Stroll is starting p3 so perhaps he’s the man to finally run Max onto the grass into turn 1! Would be nice if Charles could get ahead too and hold Max up for a few laps with that straight line speed!

mwillems

CjC wrote:
05 Nov 2023, 14:31

Good read.

I read a comment by a reader on another article from ‘the race’ who likened Piastris current form is akin to his compatriot who he replace which I think is mighty harsh on Oscar. He’s a rookie and the drive he replaced had 10? Years experience when he went to McLaren? It’s not a fair comparison if you ask me.
It's an interesting take. Last year Lando got 122 points to his partners 37. This year Oscar is around about half the points of Lando, his race pace having dropped off a little over the last few races.

In Lando's first season he got around half the points of Carlos Sainz, the next season Lando was close to Sainz on points. So you'd like to think that year 5 Lando is significantly better than Year 2 Lando. With that in mind, Oscar's points haul in his first year is pretty damn good if you consider that Lando is on race pace one of the best.

Personally I am unconcerned with his trajectory, it is clear that he is growing very fast.

Edit: I just looked at the results and others may be being harsh on Piatsri, his finishes recently have been OK, and overall he has had 3 retirements to Lando's 0.

-Bandit

CjC
CjC

mwillems wrote:
05 Nov 2023, 15:59
CjC wrote:

Good read.

It's an interesting take. Last year Lando got 122 points to his partners 37. This year Oscar is around about half the points of Lando, his race pace having dropped off a little over the last few races.

In Lando's first season he got around half the points of Carlos Sainz, the next season Lando was close to Sainz on points. So you'd like to think that year 5 Lando is significantly better than Year 2 Lando. With that in mind, Oscar's points haul in his first year is pretty damn good if you consider that Lando is on race pace one of the best.

Personally I am unconcerned with his trajectory, it is clear that he is growing very fast.

Edit: I just looked at the results and others may be being harsh on Piatsri, his finishes recently have been OK, and overall he has had 3 retirements to Lando's 0.

https://i.ibb.co/SBSBtJ6/Screenshot-202 ... 140333.png
Also the sprint weekends hinder a rookies learning considerably these last 2 seasons so will effect their overall points total. Oscars rookie season has been at a disadvantage compared to Landos rookie season… like ever we can’t directly compare

MCLvamos
MCLvamos

Mansell89 wrote:
05 Nov 2023, 15:18
With Oscar do we take a chance on a 2 lap old soft tyre to start the race to get some grip off the line and hopefully a bit of track position before then being aggressive with undercuts with two fresh medium tyres till the end?

I’d quite like to have two new mediums up my sleeve today- think it’s the tyre to be on.

A fresh set of softs is handy for any late safety cars so Lando has that available.

Really do think Oscar has more pace here than he was able to show yesterday and the tyres might fall right for him if he could make that first stint on a used soft work out for him. Cant help but feel he’s got the opportunity to a) gain position off the line and in the early laps or b) pit early for his first medium fresh set for clean air and undercut the Astons and Alfas to get himself in the top 5 or 6. I’m not discounting a podium if the cards drop right in that strategy.

As for Lando- well Lance Stroll is starting p3 so perhaps he’s the man to finally run Max onto the grass into turn 1! Would be nice if Charles could get ahead too and hold Max up for a few laps with that straight line speed!
Im pretty sure Lando's used set is from an aborted run though. So we should be alright in terms of useable mediums in the race. I reckon soft for the first stint and then play it from ear from then (most likely a S-M-M given we have only one new soft). The team have all the data tho so let's see what they have found to be optimal. Just think we could perhaps get the required overtaking done with the soft, box early and then run long into the medium middle stint. Similar to the idea in Mexico. But lets see how it plays out

mwillems

CjC wrote:
05 Nov 2023, 17:15
mwillems wrote:
05 Nov 2023, 15:59
CjC wrote:

Good read.

https://i.ibb.co/SBSBtJ6/Screenshot-202 ... 140333.png
Also the sprint weekends hinder a rookies learning considerably these last 2 seasons so will effect their overall points total. Oscars rookie season has been at a disadvantage compared to Landos rookie season… like ever we can’t directly compare
No there's no way to compare directly, but I think it is easy to see he is doing well, and not hard to argue his first year growth has been excellent. Despite entering the sport a bit more mature, he also had a full year out of competitive racing last year. But the proof is in the pudding, I'm sure that by the middle of next year we can have a better discussion.

But anyway point was I think those people posting elsewhere if they are dissing Oscar are probably a bit harsh.

-Bandit