2023 Scuderia AlphaTauri F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Wouter

Re: 2023 Scuderia AlphaTauri F1 Team

search wrote:
05 Nov 2023, 23:35
yeah, understandably. He finished just behind Yuki, despite moving to the side for him and a couple of cars a lap ahead throughout the race.
Even with the pit lane start, he could have beaten Hamilton for sure, maybe even Gasly or Sainz.
You really think so?

6 Sainz gap 50.2 sec
7 Gasly gap 56.1 sec
8 Hamilton gap 62.9 sec
9 Tsunoda gap 69.9 sec
13 Ricciardo gap 1 lap and 84.0 sec
Last edited by Wouter on 06 Nov 2023, 00:05, edited 2 times in total.
The Power of Dreams!

search

Wouter wrote:
05 Nov 2023, 23:46
search wrote:
yeah, understandably. He finished just behind Yuki, despite moving to the side for him and a couple of cars a lap ahead throughout the race.
Even with the pit lane start, he could have beaten Hamilton for sure, maybe even Gasly or Sainz.
You realy think so?

6 Sainz gap 50.2 sec
7 Gasly gap 56.1 sec
8 Hamilton gap 62.9 sec
9 Tsunoda gap 69.9 sec
I would need to check the exact time loss, but he was stuck behind Tsunoda the entire final ~10 laps, not allowed to pass him, and after one of the stops he let him pass to allow Tsunoda clean air, as far as I could see. Add a couple of cars lapping him, and that accumulates to easily 10 seconds, I'd think.

Wouter

search wrote:
06 Nov 2023, 00:05
Wouter wrote:
search wrote:
You realy think so?

6 Sainz gap 50.2 sec
7 Gasly gap 56.1 sec
8 Hamilton gap 62.9 sec
9 Tsunoda gap 69.9 sec
I would need to check the exact time loss, but he was stuck behind Tsunoda the entire final ~10 laps, not allowed to pass him, and after one of the stops he let him pass to allow Tsunoda clean air, as far as I could see. Add a couple of cars lapping him, and that accumulates to easily 10 seconds, I'd think.
I made a mistake. It had to be this:

The Power of Dreams!

bigblue

https://scuderia.alphatauri.com/en/2023 ... o-gp-race/

Unfortunately, we identified a potential clutch issue towards the end of the race, so to make sure we brought the car home, we decided to be conservative with his upshift settings. This meant Yuki was able to finish P9 and score points for the team.

search

Wouter wrote:
06 Nov 2023, 00:09
search wrote:
06 Nov 2023, 00:05
Wouter wrote:

You realy think so?

6 Sainz gap 50.2 sec
7 Gasly gap 56.1 sec
8 Hamilton gap 62.9 sec
9 Tsunoda gap 69.9 sec
I made a mistake. It had to be this:

well, yeah, assuming he didn't lose that lap before the start, of course. In a "restart to the finish" classification, he came in half a second behind Tsunoda.

organic

Ricciardo had good pace. Clean air but the better pace of the two

Rikhart
Rikhart

organic wrote:
06 Nov 2023, 02:27

https://i.imgur.com/fswkiLY.jpeg
You absolutely cannot compare two drivers when one was in clear, cool air the whole time, and the other was often in DRS trains of multiple cars, and making overtake efforts, in a very mechanically aggressive and hot race like the one we had...

Wouter

The three drivers have now collected 21 points. They are only seven points below Williams in eighth place.
Unfortunately the AT04 won't be as strong at sea level as it was on the last two high altitude circuits.
Maybe they can get even more performance from the update package. However, it will be difficult. Seven points is a lot.
Albon is also a good driver. But who knows, Las Vegas is very unpredictable with those extremely low temperatures in the evening and night.
Who came up with/arranged to drive there in the evening when it is cold (because of the cozy lights)?! #-o
That will cause some problems with the cars, for example the tires, breakes.
They could have started much earlier because the sun sets there at 4:40 PM. It is only 10 C there at about 11:00 PM!!
Qualifying is at 00:00 (midnight) and the race is at 10:00 PM local time. :roll:
The Power of Dreams!

tinuva

Wouter wrote:
06 Nov 2023, 12:22
The three drivers have now collected 21 points. They are only seven points below Williams in eighth place.
Unfortunately the AT04 won't be as strong at sea level as it was on the last two high altitude circuits.
Maybe they can get even more performance from the update package. However, it will be difficult. Seven points is a lot.
Albon is also a good driver. But who knows, Las Vegas is very unpredictable with those extremely low temperatures in the evening and night.
Who came up with/arranged to drive there in the evening when it is cold (because of the cozy lights)?! #-o
That will cause some problems with the cars, for example the tires, breakes.
They could have started much earlier because the sun sets there at 4:40 PM. It is only 10 C there at about 11:00 PM!!
Qualifying is at 00:00 (midnight) and the race is at 10:00 PM local time. :roll:
I guess the question wasn't serious but in case anyone really does want to know:
https://lastwordonsports.com/motorsport ... tart-late/
Why were these timings chosen?
Start times are always chosen to suit as many stakeholders as possible. Choosing to race in Las Vegas makes the task at hand all that much harder. Especially when you consider the nature of the city. Street races are always complicated as they usually go through major thoroughfares. This in conjunction with the city being one of the world’s leading entertainment capitals makes finding the perfect balance even more challenging.

Street circuits come with a sacrifice. F1 street races aren’t like other races which are held on racetracks or sporting events which are usually held in stadiums or arenas. For the Las Vegas GP to take place, major streets must be closed off starting around 5 p.m. on Thursday, Friday and Saturday. They must then be reopened to traffic by 4 a.m. each day. Likewise, the Monaco GP goes through a similar process.

Renee Wilm, the CEO of the Las Vegas Grand Prix, talked to The Athletic about the decision;

“Very much a compromise following multiple conversations with all the local stakeholders in Las Vegas.”

“We really tried to triangulate what was a good time for the locals. We want to be a good neighbor in Las Vegas. We’re here to race for many decades to come.”

Las Vegas is a city known for its vibrant nightlife, no matter how late. Having a night race is F1’s way of respecting that.

What this means for fans, drivers and teams
The race will start in the early to mid-morning hours in the UK and most of Europe and mid to late morning hours in Africa. In Asia and Australia, the race start will be in the afternoon and evening hours. These times are in close range to the start times of the Australian and Japanese Grands Prix.

HPD

runningmanz
runningmanz

organic wrote:

Yes he did. As usual some are just trying to rubbish him again and not looking at all the data properly. I watched his race onboard on F1 TV Pro. It was remarkable what he did from a pit lane start, where they were released quite slowly. He caught up to Yuki including passing Oscar within 20 laps and was told to hold station by the team. Also had to let cars past for blue flags at times too despite the fact that he had the pace to race many of them.

https://pitwall.app/analysis/compare-la ... 16&button=

Dan even mentioned it was only in clear air and near the end where he could really unleash his speed. If you look at the live timing from around lap 15 or so Yuki was rarely within 2 secs of the cars in front, so had quite a number of laps in clean air. Dan more so early on until he caught Yuki.

"“We were, I want to say, exceptionally fast today. We couldn’t always show it because we were a lap down and having to play the team game of course, not get in the way of obviously Yuki’s race or even other cars around us.

“But the times that we did have some clear air, especially towards the end there was a couple of laps where I was able to show my speed and… frustratingly fast. So I feel for the team."

https://racingnews365.com/ricciardo-vic ... n-f1-rules
Last edited by runningmanz on 07 Nov 2023, 02:33, edited 6 times in total.

HPD

Maybe this is not the right place to say this. But it corresponds to the team and one of its drivers.

For some time now I have been saying here that the English and European media have a hatred, so to speak, towards the Japanese pilot. Racism? I don't know. But here is another proof of it.
Rating 3 to Tsunoda. To give in, he gave. But every race, punctually, lands a blow. He always seems furious, angry, very nervous and foul. A supportive therapy? He would be useful. https://www.redbull.com/it-it/f1-2023-g ... e-terruzzi
Calling it "foul" on Red Bull own website. There is nothing to say. I hope Yuki leaves the Red Bull family and goes to AM.

Zynerji

HPD wrote:
07 Nov 2023, 01:58
Maybe this is not the right place to say this. But it corresponds to the team and one of its drivers.

For some time now I have been saying here that the English and European media have a hatred, so to speak, towards the Japanese pilot. Racism? I don't know. But here is another proof of it.
Rating 3 to Tsunoda. To give in, he gave. But every race, punctually, lands a blow. He always seems furious, angry, very nervous and foul. A supportive therapy? He would be useful. https://www.redbull.com/it-it/f1-2023-g ... e-terruzzi
Calling it "foul" on Red Bull own website. There is nothing to say. I hope Yuki leaves the Red Bull family and goes to AM.
Big Yuki fan here. I don't see racism in that. Please find another means of making your point.

Ps:

ChatGPT
The translation from Italian to English would be:

"I rate Tsunoda a 3. He really gave it his all, he did. But in every race, without fail, he makes a blunder. He always seems enraged, furious, extremely nervous, and error-prone. Some supportive therapy? It would be helpful."

Seems legit.

runningmanz
runningmanz

Rikhart wrote:
06 Nov 2023, 12:00
organic wrote:

You absolutely cannot compare two drivers when one was in clear, cool air the whole time, and the other was often in DRS trains of multiple cars, and making overtake efforts, in a very mechanically aggressive and hot race like the one we had...
Yes you can, look at the live timing and onboards. From lap 15 onwards Yuki was only within 2 secs of other cars for a handful of laps. Dan was on Yukis gearbox alot of the race too and wasn't allowed to pass. Certainly not in clear air the whole time. Despite this he was still managing to set more fast laps and also while in clean air too

Another point to note Dan made up alot of ground from the pit lane start catching Yuki without any help from red flag/ SC or special strategy (ie undercut) either unlike Yuki in Mexico who caught up via tyre strategy and red flag/SC before his incident with Piastri. That in itself is pretty impressive from Dan. He was rapid this race no doubt about it.

search

Zynerji wrote:
07 Nov 2023, 03:35
HPD wrote:
07 Nov 2023, 01:58

Big Yuki fan here. I don't see racism in that. Please find another means of making your point.

Ps:

ChatGPT
The translation from Italian to English would be:

"I rate Tsunoda a 3. He really gave it his all, he did. But in every race, without fail, he makes a blunder. He always seems enraged, furious, extremely nervous, and error-prone. Some supportive therapy? It would be helpful."

Seems legit.
the rating is of course nonsense, even if Ricciardo was a bit quicker in the race. In the end, Tsunoda finished ahead of him in every session of the weekend, so you can't really justify a 3 for him, let alone a 9/10 for Ricciardo.

But yeah, I don't see any racism in there as well.