2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
AMG.Tzan

Re: 2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

Bisonas wrote:
06 Nov 2023, 09:28
AR3-GP wrote:
05 Nov 2023, 22:52
KimiRai wrote:
05 Nov 2023, 20:28
Compared to other drivers Fernando does a different line in turn 12, intentionally missing the apex as if he braked too late but he does it all the time and takes time off Perez there each lap, is there more grip on the outside?

https://i.imgur.com/HDydTm5.png
I feel that Alonso drove the fastest lines for his car.
I don't think so really.
Alonso when he had Perez in the DRS zone was constantly slower than stroll behind.
IMO, he was not taking the overall fastest lines with lap time in mind, but was taking the best possible lines (in the final corners) for giving him enough top speed to stay ahead in the main straight and the best chances not to get overtaken in turn1.
Yeah he was looking for the best possible exit out of the last corner so that he can have enough of an advantage down the straight! When Perez overtook him he started using Perez's lines!

Pretty well played by Fernando! Didn’t even flinch under the enormous pressure! Embarrassing on the other hand from Perez considering the car he’s got underneath him and the amount of laps he had available to make the pass!

But making a pass on Fernando is easier said than done really…
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

xReVo
xReVo

The reality is that Perez had a RB and Alonso an Aston Martin. The boy explained it in the previous post, he was trying to give Perez turbulence and at the same time try some trajectories to better exit the corners. The impressive thing is the overtaking on the next lap, something impossible. When you get overtaken in current F1 you can't respond, due to the turbulence and dirty air, so you lose traction. I don't know how Alonso managed to stay glued in the corners after overtaking, perhaps always trying different trajectories... what a phenomenon, wow.

f1rules
f1rules

They are sure about the result :-)

issey
issey

issey
issey

f1rules wrote:
06 Nov 2023, 13:15
They are sure about the result :-)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F-NCLh_WcAA ... name=small
This is not the finish line…

f1rules
f1rules

ah ok, thats why, thanks for clarifying

majki2111

I rewatched the race on Alonsos onboard cam and not for once his engineer wathced ahead. It was only for first 10 laps when he was telling Fernanado the gap to Norris. And after that in the middle of Medium stint he told Alonso how far Norris is and that he was to fast. So for 60 laps they only watched what was happening behind Alonso and how Perez was progressing trough the field. So for 90% this was defensive race.

In direct battle with Perez engineer was only telling gap to Perez on Start-finish straight and when Alosno can use energy. Corner lines and driving was pure Alonso talent.

-wkst-
-wkst-

AMuS:

The AMR23 in Brazil was a puzzle from different specifications regarding floor, sidepods, beam wing and diffusor.

ALO_Power
ALO_Power

majki2111 wrote:
06 Nov 2023, 14:05
I rewatched the race on Alonsos onboard cam and not for once his engineer wathced ahead. It was only for first 10 laps when he was telling Fernanado the gap to Norris. And after that in the middle of Medium stint he told Alonso how far Norris is and that he was to fast. So for 60 laps they only watched what was happening behind Alonso and how Perez was progressing trough the field. So for 90% this was defensive race.

In direct battle with Perez engineer was only telling gap to Perez on Start-finish straight and when Alosno can use energy. Corner lines and driving was pure Alonso talent.
Another interesting thing, somewhere during mid-race when Perez was closing down on Alonso with mediums and Alonso said that it's all good for him, he then started having a detailed discussion about the strategy and some temperatures and stuff (can't remember exactly) and then his mechanic chuckled and said "I'm impressed".
Amazing how he can keep his thought crystal clear while driving an F1 car to the limit, while being chased by a Red Bull, and all of that in his 42 years. Impressive.

If someone has the clip, feel free to post it.

issey
issey

diffuser

ALO_Power wrote:
06 Nov 2023, 16:13
majki2111 wrote:

Another interesting thing, somewhere during mid-race when Perez was closing down on Alonso with mediums and Alonso said that it's all good for him, he then started having a detailed discussion about the strategy and some temperatures and stuff (can't remember exactly) and then his mechanic chuckled and said "I'm impressed".
Amazing how he can keep his thought crystal clear while driving an F1 car to the limit, while being chased by a Red Bull, and all of that in his 42 years. Impressive.

He was talking about the tire strategy Plan A and Plan B. He was doing the calculations of how far off they were from Plan B. None of that mattered, he was ordered to pit for softs the lap after Perez did.

Some people have this misconception that Alonso is making all the decisions while he is in the cockpit. It isn't true. He is super fast to execute whatever the engineer tells him to. I forget who his race engineer is but he is one of the best I've heard. He'll usually express himself in 2 different ways. Yesterday in the race, after the race restart and Alonso got past Hamilton, he told Alonso "You're too fast into 6 and 7, we think you'll be faster overall if you slow down". Other times he'll say "Consider white button for turn 4.", meaning try it and see. Usually all you'll get from Alonso is "Copy." He'll do whatever he's asked without question...but If stuff isn't working out, he'll get upset.

KimiRai
KimiRai

diffuser wrote:
06 Nov 2023, 17:06
I forget who his race engineer is but he is one of the best I've heard.
That'd be Chris Cronin.

DDopey
DDopey

ALO_Power wrote:
majki2111 wrote:

Indeed. He let Perez closing the gap quickly instead of starting to push himself. He knew that if Perez needed to follow his car closely it would help him. If Perez would have stayed longer in fresh air, and the gap would have closed slower he would just zap by Alonso in the final rounds.

KimiRai
KimiRai

I have never understood why people always mention Fernando's experience as the reason why he is able to do these feats. He's been doing it since Minardi and even before in karting and so on, it's not just experience, it's clearly innate talent. But for some reason they only mention experience.

ALO_Power
ALO_Power

diffuser wrote:
06 Nov 2023, 17:06
ALO_Power wrote:
majki2111 wrote:

He was talking about the tire strategy Plan A and Plan B. He was doing the calculations of how far off they were from Plan B. None of that mattered, he was ordered to pit for softs the lap after Perez did.

Some people have this misconception that Alonso is making all the decisions while he is in the cockpit. It isn't true. He is super fast to execute whatever the engineer tells him to. I forget who his race engineer is but he is one of the best I've heard. He'll usually express himself in 2 different ways. Yesterday in the race, after the race restart and Alonso got past Hamilton, he told Alonso "You're too fast into 6 and 7, we think you'll be faster overall if you slow down". Other times he'll say "Consider white button for turn 4.", meaning try it and see. Usually all you'll get from Alonso is "Copy." He'll do whatever he's asked without question...but If stuff isn't working out, he'll get upset.
I think what I said got misunderstood. I never mentioned that he decides the strategy himself, I mentioned that the facts and calculations he was discussing (while still trying to keep them encoded) impressed his own engineer quite much for the level of detail they had.
That's it.
For me that's quite remarkable to be able to think so clearly at those conditions and I don't think it's a given for all drivers.
I could be wrong, but that's my view.

As for experience, it's definitely a great asset in a driver's arsenal but managing to combine this with the rest skills he has while maintaining his endurance at that age, is also undoubtedly quite impressive in my book.