2023 Las Vegas Grand Prix - Las Vegas, Nov 16 - 18

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
the EDGE
the EDGE

Re: Las Vegas 2023

Pirelli have the option to lower tyre pressures for this event if it feels it’s safe to do so, this will help with tyre warm up, it just depends on other track factors such as kerbs, that could cause damage

bluechris

the EDGE wrote:
11 Nov 2023, 18:04
Pirelli have the option to lower tyre pressures for this event if it feels it’s safe to do so, this will help with tyre warm up, it just depends on other track factors such as kerbs, that could cause damage
I think you need to raise the pressure to get more heat. At least that is what is happening with my car & motorcycle :)

the EDGE
the EDGE

bluechris wrote:
11 Nov 2023, 18:53
the EDGE wrote:
I think you need to raise the pressure to get more heat. At least that is what is happening with my car & motorcycle :)
No, tyre deformation will increase with less pressure and create more heat through the increased flexing of the rubber

Wouter

The Power of Dreams!

Farnborough
Farnborough

the EDGE wrote:
11 Nov 2023, 19:16
bluechris wrote:
the EDGE wrote:
No, tyre deformation will increase with less pressure and create more heat through the increased flexing of the rubber
Absolutely correct, lower pressure allows more carcass flex under the same load to generate more heat.

Tyre manufacturer (all of them for all uses) put minimum pressure recommendations to avoid that heat build up taking the tyre into failure from delamination ultimately as it starts to unbond the structural elements.

It is a tool available but there's care needed in this type of circuit from sustained longitudinal flexing (similar to Baku and that tyre failure MV had) under maximum load and high period of centrifugal extension down the long straights.

Looks like its going to be a delicate balance for all, possibly with some odd chassis characteristics shuffling the order of pace that's normally seen.

LM10
LM10

bluechris wrote:
the EDGE wrote:
What you see there is raising pressure with raising heat due to energy being put into the tyres while driving.

bluechris

LM10 wrote:
11 Nov 2023, 20:12
bluechris wrote:
the EDGE wrote:
What you see there is raising pressure with raising heat due to energy being put into the tyres while driving.
I see this during track days where i put my car in and i end up lowering tyre pressures because my tyres overheat after some push laps (normal tyres, not slicks) but i understand what you & others are saying.

Mogster

Maybe I’m missing something but why are the local timings so weird? FP2 and Qu at midnight? Isn’t that going to piss off the Vegas residents royally?

Mogster wrote:
11 Nov 2023, 21:23
Maybe I’m missing something but why are the local timings so weird? FP2 and Qu at midnight? Isn’t that going to piss off the Vegas residents royally?
Vegas requested that as to have less impact on the strip. One of the lines I read was along the lines of "People come to Vegas to have dinner and then see a show."

And if you go back and look at the link that was posted for another forum, many of the residents are already pissed with all the traffic disruptions and stuff going on.

Mogster

1158 wrote:
11 Nov 2023, 21:27
Mogster wrote:
11 Nov 2023, 21:23
Vegas requested that as to have less impact on the strip. One of the lines I read was along the lines of "People come to Vegas to have dinner and then see a show."
Fair enough. It does seem to be inline with other pay to view sports events like boxing. Those are inside though…

chrisc90

Do they actually plan to 'open' the strip between F1 sessions? so the public can drive on the track?

Wouter

chrisc90 wrote:
11 Nov 2023, 21:30
Do they actually plan to 'open' the strip between F1 sessions? so the public can drive on the track?
"For the Las Vegas GP to take place, major streets must be closed off starting around 5 p.m. on Thursday, Friday and Saturday.
They must then be reopened to traffic by 4 a.m. each day."
When the streets are closed starting around 5 p.m. why starting FP1 and FP3 so late?

18 Nov
Race
22:00

18 Nov
Qualifying
00:00 - 01:00

17 Nov
Practice 3
20:30 - 21:30

17 Nov
Practice 2
00:00 - 01:00

16 Nov
Practice 1
20:30 - 21:30
The Power of Dreams!

Farnborough
Farnborough

bluechris wrote:
11 Nov 2023, 21:20
LM10 wrote:
11 Nov 2023, 20:12
bluechris wrote:

I see this during track days where i put my car in and i end up lowering tyre pressures because my tyres overheat after some push laps (normal tyres, not slicks) but i understand what you & others are saying.
You bring up an interesting aspect there that is common to F1 in that a road tyre and a "hard" compound race tyre display similar characteristics. Too high a pressure, then the carcass doesn't flex to contribute in warming the structure, the tread though slides causing too much heat in that tread depth, the tyre then shows less grip to the driver, but now lacks that pure traction to effectively bend the carcass and establish its normal method of generating heat. You can see this is a circle response that's hard to get out of as in a race they simply need pace and can't back out of that without getting caught.

Exactly what we see on different chassis and how they work the different tyre compounds, with some able to use all the tyre types, others just effective on one type and very poor with alternatives. All the more heightened by the change in 13" to 18" in F1 these are simply narrowed in their "gateway" of peak performance, without the ability to stay right in that zone the performance is toast :D

Otromundo

If the race is not suspended and the Aston Martins go well... I'm betting on Fernando. I think it will be his best opportunity to shine and even win in this season. The worse the weather, the better for him.
Believe half of what you see and none of what you hear.

organic

Otromundo wrote:
11 Nov 2023, 22:25
If the race is not suspended and the Aston Martins go well... I'm betting on Fernando. I think it will be his best opportunity to shine and even win in this season. The worse the weather, the better for him.
His best opportunity was Monaco and the team messed up by not taking intermediate tyres. With one different decision they'd have won the race. They've not had race winning pace for over 10 rounds now so I wouldn't be confident in saying they'll compete for a podium here, even with a possible mixed up order