2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
CjC
CjC

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Tomsky wrote:
17 Nov 2023, 13:40
Apparently, the wing for Monza does not roll here, you need a little more, like for a Spa, and we don't have it.
Which wing do Mclaren currently have fitted?
Just a fan's point of view

Tomsky
Tomsky

CjC wrote:
17 Nov 2023, 13:51
Tomsky wrote:
Apparently, the wing for Monza does not roll here, you need a little more, like for a Spa, and we don't have it.
Which wing do Mclaren currently have fitted?

Like in Monza.

CjC
CjC

Thank you. So we can assume they will trial the next level of downforce in FP3?
Just a fan's point of view

MrGapes

lets see tomorrow what changes they make... the car from what I could see on the onboards didn't look very nice to drive

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

MrGapes wrote:
17 Nov 2023, 14:01
lets see tomorrow what changes they make... the car from what I could see on the onboards didn't look very nice to drive
But if the straight line is not there then they don't have a lot they can do.

Mansell89
Mansell89

Any view on long run? Oscars final lap looked a good long run time unless I’ve got mixed up?

MrGapes

FittingMechanics wrote:
17 Nov 2023, 14:03
MrGapes wrote:
17 Nov 2023, 14:01
But if the straight line is not there then they don't have a lot they can do.
Still plenty… they obviously won’t find a second, but definitely didn’t get the ride height or stiffnesses correct… if you run with a low df Monza wing you absolutely need to run the car low to generate the df in the corners… I think they realised today they can’t run as low.. ultimately they might give up some straight line, but anything is better than today.

mwillems

FittingMechanics wrote:
17 Nov 2023, 13:42
Tomsky wrote:
I bet the team has the other wing as well but they haven't mounted it. It's not a job you do in middle of a FP.
I was expecting the two cars to run with different wings, I'm really surprised they didn't.

Do we know they brought any other wings? Do they actually have anything else to bolt on?

If they haven't done it now them I don't think they will, FP3 is not the time to be playing with wings, unless they need to fly something out in a very big hurry.

But.... it's a nothing race anyway and don't hate me but I'd be happier finishing 5th :lol:
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

MrGapes

mwillems wrote:
17 Nov 2023, 14:44
FittingMechanics wrote:
17 Nov 2023, 13:42
Tomsky wrote:
I bet the team has the other wing as well but they haven't mounted it. It's not a job you do in middle of a FP.
I was expecting the two cars to run with different wings, I'm really surprised they didn't.

Do we know they brought any other wings? Do they actually have anything else to bolt on?
I was also expecting a back to back with the trimmed Monza medium wing, obviously they felt this was the obvious choice via sim.

Despite the low wing they weren’t that quick on the straights.

mwillems

-Bandit

mwillems

Looking at the telemtry:

Acceleration up to 250 seems on a par with those around us, we drop back against Ferrari with DRS open because they have the majority of their downforce generated by the DRS flap, so when open they get an advantage.

There is almost nothing we can do to reduce this as we have no wing that can compete here, bolting on downforce won't help.

Against Verstappen it looks like we are running a higher engine mode and they are running a bigger wing. They can catch us with DRS open but we are faster than them on the straights, and they will catch us more when they turn their engine up so that gap will grow, from what I can see.

Time gained on the straight is nothing compared to the time lost on Turns 6-9 and turn 12, where we suffer huge losses.

-Bandit

organic

mwillems wrote:
17 Nov 2023, 15:02
Looking at the telemtry:

Acceleration up to 250 seems on a par with those around us, we drop back against Ferrari with DRS open because they have the majority of their downforce generated by the DRS flap, so when open they get an advantage.

There is almost nothing we can do to reduce this as we have no wing that can compete here, bolting on downforce won't help.

Against Verstappen it looks like we are running a higher engine mode and they are running a bigger wing. They can catch us with DRS open but we are faster than them on the straights, and they will catch us more than they are now so that gap will grow, from what I can see.

Time gained on the straight is nothing compared to the time lost on Turns 6-9 and turn 12, where we suffer huge losses.
Ditch the monza wing and go Suzuka wing and run an aggressive strategy? McLaren was competitive at Suzuka in the corners and on the straight against the same config RB are running this weekend

mwillems

organic wrote:
17 Nov 2023, 15:04
mwillems wrote:
Looking at the telemtry:

Against Verstappen it looks like we are running a higher engine mode and they are running a bigger wing. They can catch us with DRS open but we are faster than them on the straights, and they will catch us more than they are now so that gap will grow, from what I can see.

Ditch the monza wing and go Suzuka wing and run an aggressive strategy?
Well if they haven't bolted on an alternate wing by now I'm worried they haven't brought it. Do we know if there's something else?

Suzuka wing was the Silverstone wing, there is also the Spa wings as an inbetween option. But to be quite frank the wing is only part of the problem, I'm thinking this might be the track where we can't dial around the issues.

So to answer your question, I'd roll the dice and try and see if we can bring it to us in the race, yeah.

-Bandit

organic

mwillems wrote:
17 Nov 2023, 15:07
organic wrote:
mwillems wrote:
Looking at the telemtry:

Well if they haven't bolted on an alternate wing by now I'm worried they haven't brought it. Do we know if there's something else?

Suzuka wing was the Silverstone wing, there is also the Spa wings as an inbetween option. But to be quite frank the wing is only part of the problem, I'm thinking this might be the track where we can't dial around the issues.

So to answer your question, I'd roll the dice and try and see if we can bring it to us in the race, yeah.
It's weird that McLaren are having trouble with the ride height and we're not hearing or seeing that from anyone else. They also normally have an easier time finding the right setup compared to competition eg RB/Merc

MrGapes

organic wrote:
17 Nov 2023, 15:08
mwillems wrote:
17 Nov 2023, 15:07
organic wrote:

It's weird that McLaren are having trouble with the ride height and we're not hearing or seeing that from anyone else. They also normally have an easier time finding the right setup compared to competition eg RB/Merc
Bumps have been a big problem this season unfortunately, hence why the car performs relatively well at smoother tracks eg. Silverstone, Suzuka, Qatar etc.

But as Mwilliems alluded to its a combination of a few correlative negative variables… the car is draggy hence they run low df wing, so you need to run lower especially with mcl low speed deficit, but the car doesn’t handle bumps well etc etc.
Last edited by MrGapes on 17 Nov 2023, 15:16, edited 1 time in total.