2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

CjC wrote:
17 Nov 2023, 22:51
mwillems wrote:
17 Nov 2023, 22:09
Check out the poor guys head

Nah I think he’s just listening to Kerrang radio😎
Maybe he was playing Hungry Hippos.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

mwillems

Sign that Deal, Lando.

-Bandit

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Now that's interesting....If I was Lando, I wouldn't sign anything because I don't have to at this time. It's a driver's market.
A lion must kill its prey.

mwillems

AR3-GP wrote:
18 Nov 2023, 00:09
Now that's interesting....If I was Lando, I wouldn't sign anything because I don't have to at this time. It's a driver's market.
It's only 6 months away from what would be a sensible time guess.

I suppose if we develop a great car for next year then Mclaren could be a driving force in the drivers market. If it was me, I'd wait until March and see what the next car could do, but get the deal lined up now ready to sign early next year.

But if Mclaren throw some numbers at him then that might also do it :D

-Bandit

mwillems

That beam wing looks fully integrated into the RW, looks like a new RW and BW would be required to change over the BW.

-Bandit

Farnborough
Farnborough

mwillems wrote:
17 Nov 2023, 23:51
CjC wrote:
17 Nov 2023, 23:00
mwillems wrote:
17 Nov 2023, 19:45

It's a strategic approach to the game. What is the target? The championship. Does an action today, no matter how nice it might feel, impede on that target? If it does, I wouldn't do it. I'd play the long game. When I settle for fifth it's because I'm winding up my arm to reach for 1st.
I understand your approach but after finishing last in the constructors did the Williams or Haas guys patch each other on the back and say good job this season people- we have the most CFD/ wind tunnel allocations for next season
?
:twisted:
Did they finish the season with what looks to be the second fastest car and the only team that has got remotely close to Red Bull in the second half of the season :lol: I'm genuinely happy with where we are to be honest, I wouldn't take pats on the back away from any of them for what they have achieved whether we are 4th or 5th.
From my view of it.....the place to me is irrelevant at 4th or 5th, thats in practical influence for next season.

I do feel they need to chase this season out absolutely as hard as possible to enhance their race readiness IF they should be in contention next year or after.
The need to make decisions now, on the fly, under pressure of a race weekend is invaluable to their team performance. They don't want to find this stuff out if a championship is really on the table.
There's too many years spent in the doldrums and vital need to leverage an enhanced focus to this aim, irrespective of this years outcome.
Every fault or lack of good reason for a drop in outright performance should be used right now to drive that future readiness.

Maybe a harsh view, but they're going to need everything they can lay their hands on to win a championship in outright white heat of competition.
Now is the time to throw everything at it to advance.

mwillems

Farnborough wrote:
18 Nov 2023, 00:24
mwillems wrote:
17 Nov 2023, 23:51
CjC wrote:
17 Nov 2023, 23:00

I understand your approach but after finishing last in the constructors did the Williams or Haas guys patch each other on the back and say good job this season people- we have the most CFD/ wind tunnel allocations for next season
?
:twisted:
Did they finish the season with what looks to be the second fastest car and the only team that has got remotely close to Red Bull in the second half of the season :lol: I'm genuinely happy with where we are to be honest, I wouldn't take pats on the back away from any of them for what they have achieved whether we are 4th or 5th.
From my view of it.....the place to me is irrelevant at 4th or 5th, thats in practical influence for next season.

I do feel they need to chase this season out absolutely as hard as possible to enhance their race readiness IF they should be in contention next year or after.
The need to make decisions now, on the fly, under pressure of a race weekend is invaluable to their team performance. They don't want to find this stuff out if a championship is really on the table.
There's too many years spent in the doldrums and vital need to leverage an enhanced focus to this aim, irrespective of this years outcome.
Every fault or lack of good reason for a drop in outright performance should be used right now to drive that future readiness.

Maybe a harsh view, but they're going to need everything they can lay their hands on to win a championship in outright white heat of competition.
Now is the time to throw everything at it to advance.
If the gap to RB was smaller and we weren't chased so hard then I'd agree, but I think that because the development war is so intense that we can't skip a beat. Maybe we will challenge Red Bull next year, but you'd think not other than for a few wins. So it feels like there's some time to get all of our teeth sharpened up still and put the main focus on the car itself, even if the extra hours aren't huge, they are not insignificant either. Particularly with the rate teams can bring big gains.

But totally respect others positions 👍

-Bandit

MrGapes

I hope people here don’t overreact to the performance we may see this weekend, I think this particular low df window of the car hasn’t been optimised or otherwise pushed through development which Is understandable considering there isn’t many low df track configs on the calendar.

What they have achieved in the last 5-6 races is far beyond my expectations..but you can’t perfect a car for all operating windows purely through mid season aero development.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Did anyone watch FP3? The times are faster than FP2.

Did the team change the wing?

mwillems

Some tweaks to the rear wing it seems.

-Bandit

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Watched a bit of FP3, looks like same wing on Piastri.

Optically on the onboard the head is not bouncing as much as yesterday. Looks like they improved the setup.

mwillems

FittingMechanics wrote:
18 Nov 2023, 08:53

They changed wings in the session according to TeamStream.

But I think on Landos car?

Hopefully they just found a way to make it work.

-Bandit

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

mwillems wrote:
18 Nov 2023, 09:06
FittingMechanics wrote:

Hard to tell overall but when he made his qualy lap he had the flat rear wing (like yesterday).

The car does look more stable, better corner entry, less going wide, less bouncing.

mwillems

FittingMechanics wrote:
18 Nov 2023, 09:14
mwillems wrote:
18 Nov 2023, 09:06
FittingMechanics wrote:

Hard to tell overall but when he made his qualy lap he had the flat rear wing (like yesterday).

The car does look more stable, better corner entry, less going wide, less bouncing.
There's a lot of changes, flow vis etc to both their wings with Lando doing his fast lap after a physical change of wing, but it'd be the beam wing I'd expect to be different more than the rear wing itself. If it was changed.

Lando didn't get to do his second fast lap either after the change, whatever was put on or taken off...

-Bandit

mwillems

Not good. Both out in Q1.

-Bandit