2023 Las Vegas Grand Prix - Las Vegas, Nov 16 - 18

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
f1jcw
f1jcw

Re: 2023 Las Vegas Grand Prix - Las Vegas, Nov 16 - 18

dialtone wrote:
18 Nov 2023, 16:57
AR3-GP wrote:
dialtone wrote:
18 Nov 2023, 16:50
Max was banned from iracing for retaliation. Any sport has automatic ejection for retaliation.
Write a letter to the stewards.
A strongly worded letter perhaps, only way they will understand.
The stewards are strange, even if no penalty points given, they both should have been summoned and told to pack it in. This is a final warning, no more.

Sieper

You are allowed to start a hotlap even if somebody cuts you off. Point.

Juzh

I think austria incident with hamilton was more on the edge as Verstappen just ended his lap, and Ham started it, but it's easy to claim you went for a second one, even though likelihood of that is extremely low. In this case Ocon played with fire and got burned. Both on fast laps, both laps ruined, end of. I'm glad ocon got the short end of the stick, again. What a fool this guy is really. Dude really thinks he's senna or something like that.

Mogster

In most team sports retaliation after a foul is punished more harshly than the foul. The original foul is generally part of an attempt to play the game, get the ball, as Ocon’s overtake on Max trying to get a better track position. The retaliation is just an act of violence against the opponent as with Max wheel banging Ocon, forcing him wide to ruin his lap. Clear retaliation needs to be punishable by the Stewards.

This is the same as Max colliding with Hamilton last year in Interlagos, Max decided Hamilton hadn’t given him space so deliberately drove into Hamilton’s car. He admitted it.
Last edited by Mogster on 18 Nov 2023, 17:45, edited 1 time in total.

Juzh

dialtone wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:
GrizzleBoy wrote:
18 Nov 2023, 11:29
You can't argue whether Max needed to block Ocon or not. He was just being a dick. Nobody is even denying it. They're just finding excuses for why it's apparently okay.

I'm sure the FIA are 100% aware of Maxs blocking attempts on people, but they just don't care. Apparently purposely impeding in quali is okay, because reasons.
Ocon impeded Verstappen by overtaking him to start the lap for which Verstappen would have no choice but to abort.

What Verstappen did from there doesn't really matter because Ocon's decision was the unfair one. If Verstappen's own lap was ruined, then Ocon's lap also being ruined only makes them equal. Why do you not see this? It doesn't matter if you are P1 or P15 and "need to get in". All laps are the same. No one has priority otherwise the FIA would tell those who were already in Q2 to stay in the pitlane.

I didn't have a problem with it. I'm not making excuses at all. Ocon shouldn't be able to ruin another driver's lap and get away with it. That some can't see this is for other reasons.

Had Ocon done this to Hamilton, there would be a different discussion about the matter...
Max was banned from iracing for retaliation. Any sport has automatic ejection for retaliation.
nothing on google he was banned, only DSQ from the race itself. But the dude that he retaliated against crashed into him on purpose in the first place, so theres that.

search

search wrote:
18 Nov 2023, 14:48
The AmuS qualifying article (in German) quotes Russell as saying "The car felt good right from the start. We took some risks with the setup, and it paid off. Tomorrow I'd like to get on the podium. But points would be a surprise already."

Any idea if that is what he really said, or did something get lost in translation there?
I just read the article again, and noticed that this is a quote from Gasly, not Russell. My mistake.

dialtone
dialtone

2023 Las Vegas Grand Prix - Las Vegas, Nov 16 - 18

Juzh wrote:
dialtone wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:
Ocon impeded Verstappen by overtaking him to start the lap for which Verstappen would have no choice but to abort.

What Verstappen did from there doesn't really matter because Ocon's decision was the unfair one. If Verstappen's own lap was ruined, then Ocon's lap also being ruined only makes them equal. Why do you not see this? It doesn't matter if you are P1 or P15 and "need to get in". All laps are the same. No one has priority otherwise the FIA would tell those who were already in Q2 to stay in the pitlane.

I didn't have a problem with it. I'm not making excuses at all. Ocon shouldn't be able to ruin another driver's lap and get away with it. That some can't see this is for other reasons.

Had Ocon done this to Hamilton, there would be a different discussion about the matter...
nothing on google he was banned, only DSQ from the race itself. But the dude that he retaliated against crashed into him on purpose in the first place, so theres that.
My bad on the ban, but still. iRacing has better policing of sportsmanship than fia and it’s ridiculous. I don’t hate max, his comments on sainz were on point but the retaliatory behavior is reoccurring and fia is enabling it. They clearly know how to not apply rules when it’s convenient for them.

JordanMugen

dialtone wrote:
18 Nov 2023, 17:59
My bad on the ban, but still. iRacing has better policing of sportsmanship than fia and it’s ridiculous. I don’t hate max, his comments on sainz were on point but the retaliatory behavior is reoccurring and fia is enabling it. They clearly know how to not apply rules when it’s convenient for them.
There is no rule about cars on hot laps not being allowed to overtake other cars on hot laps. If a driver does not wish to be overtaken on a hot lap, they should drive faster to create a bigger gap to the drivers behind.

Mogster

dialtone wrote:
Juzh wrote:
dialtone wrote:

I don’t hate max, his comments on sainz were on point but the retaliatory behavior is reoccurring and fia is enabling it. They clearly know how to not apply rules when it’s convenient for them.
Yes that’s about it. The stewards need the tools to deal with this sort of behavior.

Otromundo

Sieper wrote:
18 Nov 2023, 16:48
It is not feeling slighted, but getting slighted. Ocon was destroying everyone’s lap there, his engineer even warned him not to go into the queue and still he did.
Totally agree. Things are as they are.

If we start criticizing certain things... we will end up discovering that both Prost and Senna were not exactly what we all have in mind: great champions. With their little arguments between them. Ask McLaren...

Max is Max. The number 31 is the number 31 and I think everyone will understand the difference.
Believe half of what you see and none of what you hear.

mendis
mendis

dialtone wrote:
Juzh wrote:
dialtone wrote:

There is nothing wrong in retaliation. The one that is inciting and causing problems should be dealt with seriously. You don't want to have problem kids on the circuit. Ocon has been a petulant, nasty kid who has been doing it to Alonso for quite sometime. Just that Max isn't as forgiving as Alonso is.

f1jcw
f1jcw

mendis wrote:
18 Nov 2023, 18:50

There is nothing wrong in retaliation.
Wow, absolute wow #-o
What if today had caused Ocon to crash and get injured, would you still think Max was justified

mendis wrote:
18 Nov 2023, 18:50

The one that is inciting and causing problems should be dealt with seriously. You don't want to have problem kids on the circuit.
That would be Max.

SiLo

No point in more of it being discussed really. Ocon was an idiot, and Max an even bigger one. They both deserve each other.
Felipe Baby!

TimW
TimW

I don't understand the fuzz. Ocon took away Max chance to set a lap. Should he have said 'go ahead, fine with me'? Any driver who would have done so will never be world champion.

search

TimW wrote:
18 Nov 2023, 19:07
I don't understand the fuzz. Ocon took away Max chance to set a lap. Should he have said 'go ahead, fine with me'? Any driver who would have done so will never be world champion.
maybe, yeah, but it's not like Verstappen needed to do another lap and his tires were old anyway. So you could also argue that a world champion should just stay away from this nonsense, I guess.

But anyway, of course there was no reason to penalize either of the two.