2023 Las Vegas Grand Prix - Las Vegas, Nov 16 - 18

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
f1jcw
f1jcw

Re: 2023 Las Vegas Grand Prix - Las Vegas, Nov 16 - 18

TimW wrote:
18 Nov 2023, 19:07
I don't understand the fuzz. Ocon took away Max chance to set a lap. Should he have said 'go ahead, fine with me'? Any driver who would have done so will never be world champion.
That doesn’t justify driving to maliciously retaliate.

I’m lost for words that some fans think on track retaliation and vengeance is okay.

Oleo
Oleo

f1jcw wrote:
18 Nov 2023, 19:54
TimW wrote:
I don't understand the fuzz. Ocon took away Max chance to set a lap. Should he have said 'go ahead, fine with me'? Any driver who would have done so will never be world champion.

I’m lost for words that some fans think on track retaliation and vengeance is okay.
Holy s you are one obsessed hater, let it rest. :lol:
There was neither retaliation, nor a foul nor a problem. Ocon created a --- situation where Verstappens only chance for a qualy lap was to attempt to overtake Ocon into turn 1, which he attempted. He had to brake late to do so and could not make the corner quite fast enough as a result, causing him to abort his attempt. No harm, no foul, he was well alongside and kept the car on track, so there is very little wrong with that pass. Its a literal non-issue.
Ocons lap being ruined is on Ocon for overtaking multiple cars, unnecessarily closing the gap to traffic and taking position at the expense of several other drivers, when he had all the opportunity and time for other options like slowing down, staying behind the line of cars, prepping his lap with some basic planning like others did do.

TNTHead

Wow, 5 pages filled with back and forth commenting on a small incident during Q1, what the heck.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

It was a decent qualifying session although for whatever reason a lot of drivers didn't have new soft tires at the end and I think it could have been close between Verstappen and Leclerc in the end.

Is there something about this circuit that made it so that many used up so many soft tires?
Last edited by AR3-GP on 18 Nov 2023, 20:23, edited 1 time in total.

dialtone
dialtone

I would violate the budget cap and tell fia to stuff it. Bunch of clowns.

Tvetovnato
Tvetovnato

Oleo wrote:
18 Nov 2023, 20:05
f1jcw wrote:
18 Nov 2023, 19:54
TimW wrote:

Holy s you are one obsessed hater, let it rest. :lol:
There was neither retaliation, nor a foul nor a problem. Ocon created a --- situation where Verstappens only chance for a qualy lap was to attempt to overtake Ocon into turn 1, which he attempted. He had to brake late to do so and could not make the corner quite fast enough as a result, causing him to abort his attempt. No harm, no foul, he was well alongside and kept the car on track, so there is very little wrong with that pass. Its a literal non-issue.
Ocons lap being ruined is on Ocon for overtaking multiple cars, unnecessarily closing the gap to traffic and taking position at the expense of several other drivers, when he had all the opportunity and time for other options like slowing down, staying behind the line of cars, prepping his lap with some basic planning like others did do.
Vestappen literally confessed to dutch TV that it was pure retaliation and nothing else.

chrisc90

TNTHead wrote:
18 Nov 2023, 20:16
Wow, 5 pages filled with back and forth commenting on a small incident during Q1, what the heck.
Was just thinking the same. Total nonsense over a non-incident. Hopefully mods pop along for a clearup.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

dialtone wrote:
18 Nov 2023, 20:23

It doesn't work like this :lol:

It is unfair to Carlos but I would consider it just one of those things. It's very uncommon.

dialtone
dialtone

AR3-GP wrote:
dialtone wrote:

It is unfair to Carlos but I would consider it just one of those things. It's very uncommon.
Absolutely not, there’s precedent for this being refunded, and RBR showed that a $1.5m+ violation is minor.

I will stop following the sport if this isn’t made right. I’m extremely tired of how badly fia has been treating Ferrari for the past many years. Nobody cares what I think but I do and will vote with my wallet.

Ferrari should just dump a couple hundreds for the new year if this isn’t made right.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

dialtone wrote:
18 Nov 2023, 20:29
AR3-GP wrote:
dialtone wrote:

Absolutely not, there’s precedent for this being refunded, and RBR showed that a $1.5m+ violation is minor.

I will stop following the sport if this isn’t made right. I’m extremely tired of how badly fia has been treating Ferrari for the past many years. Nobody cares what I think but I do and will vote with my wallet.

Ferrari should just dump a couple hundreds for the new year if this isn’t made right.
Alpine also lost a chassis so it's not a Ferrari specific targeting. Las Vegas promoter may cover Ferrari's expenses but I doubt it will be excluded from the budget cap.

dialtone
dialtone

AR3-GP wrote:
dialtone wrote:
AR3-GP wrote: It doesn't work like this :lol:

Alpine also lost a chassis so it's not a Ferrari specific targeting.
Alpine had much less damage than Ferrari and should still be refunded. Ferrari is this sport, alpine is on their 2nd year. Let’s not fling disrespect around so easily.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

dialtone wrote:
18 Nov 2023, 20:33
AR3-GP wrote:
dialtone wrote:

Alpine also lost a chassis so it's not a Ferrari specific targeting.
Alpine had much less damage than Ferrari and should still be refunded. Ferrari is this sport, alpine is on their 2nd year. Let’s not fling disrespect around so easily.
Why should Ferrari be treated differently to Alpine? This is not reasonable.

dialtone
dialtone

AR3-GP wrote:
dialtone wrote:
AR3-GP wrote: Alpine also lost a chassis so it's not a Ferrari specific targeting.
Why should Ferrari be treated differently to Alpine?
Yeah no idea what you are responding to. Never said they should be treated differently.

There is a pattern however where Ferrari consistently lands the worse end of decisions from FIA. That’s not there for Alpine.

As far as respect goes Ferrari deserves more because they’ve been around forever in the sport, not just when it was a convenient marketing tool or the regulation made renault happy. Ferrari stayed even when regulation was explicitly against them. The disrespect they get from fandom is embarrassing for fandom.

LM10
LM10

dialtone wrote:

Absolutely agree.

Though, the sad part is that a budget cap violation like RedBull did would lead to a much bigger penalty now. No one cares anymore that RedBull overspent and has had (and probably will for the following couple of years) a competitive advantage. The penalty they got was laughable and every non-biased person knows that.

1.5+ millions is worth a major upgrade like for example McLaren did this season and that's what Ferrari will lose for 2024. It's definitely not a thing to ignore and Vasseur has every right to be fuming.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

dialtone wrote:
18 Nov 2023, 20:39
AR3-GP wrote:
dialtone wrote:

Why should Ferrari be treated differently to Alpine?
Yeah no idea what you are responding to. Never said they should be treated differently.
You said:
Ferrari is this sport, alpine is on their 2nd year. Let’s not fling disrespect around so easily.
Is this supposed to mean Ferrari should be treated differently? Otherwise I don't understand the comment. I don't know what you thought was disrespectful either.

Alpine did lose their chassis. It doesn't matter if the damage was smaller. The chassis had to be replaced.