2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
toraabe
toraabe

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Peter Piper wrote:
21 Nov 2023, 15:04
toraabe wrote:
21 Nov 2023, 14:00
Mostlyeels wrote:
20 Nov 2023, 02:16

Yep, some very tasty overtakes from Oscar.
Like this

Both williams and mc laren with drs open, but due to that Mc Laren is running their own gearbox with slightly loger final drive he is able too overtake Sargeant anyway. The Merc engine cuts at 13k and that is 350 km/h in a williams , merc or aston. Almost 360 km/h is no bad ;) And he still has some revs left
I don't think that's how gearboxes work do they? You can pick and choose which ratios you want to use at the start of the season regardless of who makes the gearbox.
Aston and Williams are using the Mercedes gearbox. They have to use the same ratio as the provider is using unless they will build their own like Mc Laren. The Ratios has to be declared before the season.

Juzh

toraabe wrote:
Mostlyeels wrote:
BMMR61 wrote:
20 Nov 2023, 00:03
Yep, Oscar did everything and more to make Vegas GP a good watch for McLaren fans. On a night of so many passing moves it was inevitable we would only see a few of Oscar’s, what we did see confirmed his credentials as a fast AND accurate racer.
Like this

Both williams and mc laren with drs open, but due to that Mc Laren is running their own gearbox with slightly loger final drive he is able too overtake Sargeant anyway. The Merc engine cuts at 13k and that is 350 km/h in a williams , merc or aston. Almost 360 km/h is no bad ;) And he still has some revs left
This is not true. Mercedes engine can go up to 13500 rpm and that's somewhere around 370 kmh. Hamilton managed 364 kmh in this race at 13.300 rpm.

you can see williams is flashing someway before braking zone, that's why speed is constant at 350 kmh and doesnt rise anymore. piastri has overtake pressed and is still deploying energy for entire straight.

Peter Piper

toraabe wrote:
21 Nov 2023, 16:23
Peter Piper wrote:
toraabe wrote:

Like this

I don't think that's how gearboxes work do they? You can pick and choose which ratios you want to use at the start of the season regardless of who makes the gearbox.
Aston and Williams are using the Mercedes gearbox. They have to use the same ratio as the provider is using unless they will build their own like Mc Laren. The Ratios has to be declared before the season.
You're quite right - viewtopic.php?p=1129386#p1129386

That seems a little mad. Why can't that be a customisation? Is that some kind of cost saving?

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Peter Piper wrote:
21 Nov 2023, 18:21
toraabe wrote:
Peter Piper wrote:

That seems a little mad. Why can't that be a customisation? Is that some kind of cost saving?
The gearbox is shaped and designed for the size of the gears inside of it. It seems reasonable that if you want a Mercedes gearbox, you end up with their ratios.
A lion must kill its prey.

diffuser

Juzh wrote:
21 Nov 2023, 17:00
toraabe wrote:
Mostlyeels wrote:

Like this

This is not true. Mercedes engine can go up to 13500 rpm and that's somewhere around 370 kmh. Hamilton managed 364 kmh in this race at 13.300 rpm.
https://i.imgur.com/WhImhL3.jpg

you can see williams is flashing someway before braking zone, that's why speed is constant at 350 kmh and doesnt rise anymore. piastri has overtake pressed and is still deploying energy for entire straight.

on a slightly unrelated topic.... My F1TV doesn't have that top bar with the overlay of telemetry on it. How do we get that?

toraabe
toraabe

AR3-GP wrote:
21 Nov 2023, 18:23
Peter Piper wrote:
toraabe wrote:

The gearbox is shaped and designed for the size of the gears inside of it. It seems reasonable that if you want a Mercedes gearbox, you end up with their ratios.
Exactly. I assume that they calculated the ratio based on their zero pod concept and in addition not the drs concept by red bull. So in combination with both this, they got it slightly short. If revving 13500 it's probably having less power than at 12500. If they want to change they have to apply all the teams that are not using that gearbox for a change.

Juzh

diffuser wrote:
21 Nov 2023, 20:50
Juzh wrote:
21 Nov 2023, 17:00
toraabe wrote:

Like this

https://i.imgur.com/WhImhL3.jpg

on a slightly unrelated topic.... My F1TV doesn't have that top bar with the overlay of telemetry on it. How do we get that?
check it out https://multiviewer.app/

mwillems

Peter Piper wrote:
toraabe wrote:
Peter Piper wrote:

I think it was certainly made more dramatic by the derating, though.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

BMMR61

Lando's crash - did it bear more than a passing resemblance to Senna's Imola crash? Cold tyres. Low tyre pressures. Ride height marginal, lots of sparks. The car bottomed and snapped sideways on a fast left hander. Thank goodness for safety standards including wheel tethers and..... the halo. (never thought I'd say that!) Great to hear that Lando is good to go at Abu Dhabi where he can compete for another podium and 4th in the WDC.

When you look at all the finishing positions, grid positions, etc you have to conclude that Vegas - the track and the conditions - this was an outlier of car and driver performance. Most encouraging was how McLaren and Oscar bounced back from qualifying. The car had real pace and it didn't experience much of the tyre graining that other top five cars did. Oscar expertly managed his pace and the tyres and put on something close to a masterclass of overtaking. It's just a shame about the timing of the second safety car as P4 was well achievable from the back of the grid. AD won't be as forgiving of a poor qualifying position so the team had better be on their game. FWIW I'm optimistic about a return to top results from both drivers. :D

Dafnalina
Dafnalina

BMMR61 wrote:
22 Nov 2023, 13:26
Lando's crash - did it bear more than a passing resemblance to Senna's Imola crash? Cold tyres. Low tyre pressures. Ride height marginal, lots of sparks. The car bottomed and snapped sideways on a fast left hander. Thank goodness for safety standards including wheel tethers and..... the halo. (never thought I'd say that!) Great to hear that Lando is good to go at Abu Dhabi where he can compete for another podium and 4th in the WDC.

When you look at all the finishing positions, grid positions, etc you have to conclude that Vegas - the track and the conditions - this was an outlier of car and driver performance. Most encouraging was how McLaren and Oscar bounced back from qualifying. The car had real pace and it didn't experience much of the tyre graining that other top five cars did. Oscar expertly managed his pace and the tyres and put on something close to a masterclass of overtaking. It's just a shame about the timing of the second safety car as P4 was well achievable from the back of the grid. AD won't be as forgiving of a poor qualifying position so the team had better be on their game. FWIW I'm optimistic about a return to top results from both drivers. :D

Yeah, it looks like it from this camera angle. Glad he's ok, also don't know how anyone can say this was a driver/skill issue.

Really hope he's good to bounce back in AD. He's usually great there regardless of the car, and so is Oscar.

mwillems

That crash was nuts, I highly doubt there was anything Lando could do, you can't judge how fast to go over a bump like you can judge how to get round a corner at the right speed. The setup was likely right on the line and very slightly on the wrong side of it at that point in the race.

-Bandit

organic

mwillems wrote:
22 Nov 2023, 16:46
I highly doubt there was anything Lando could do
He almost catches the rear but overcorrects the snap, from the onboard, which is why the front end goes right. I agree that it was a difficult one to save but he almost does, so it probably wasn't totally hopeless.

Wouter

When it comes to professional sport F1 is about as competitive as it gets! Very few racing driver ever egt to in an F1 car,
and our guest this week is the youngest brit to ever do it! Lando Norris has never had a planB:
After becoming Karting world champion at 14, he quit school to pursue his love of racing.
Lando opens up about how he worked even harder to tackle his self-doubt in his rookie F1 season.
The Power of Dreams!

mwillems

organic wrote:
22 Nov 2023, 17:15
mwillems wrote:
22 Nov 2023, 16:46
I highly doubt there was anything Lando could do
He almost catches the rear but overcorrects the snap, from the onboard, which is why the front end goes right. I agree that it was a difficult one to save but he almost does, so it probably wasn't totally hopeless.
I should be clearer, in that I mean to avoid it in the first place. To know the limit for a bump, which when said out loud sounds very silly lol

That position on track being a high speed corner on a narrow piece of track, it was lucky not to be hit by another car and that the car "only" slapped the wall. At that speed the impact he received was probably the kindest impact he could expect in that situation and it was a very unpleasant impact.

-Bandit

ollandos
ollandos

Does anyone know the RGB code of Mclaren ''rocket red'' color ?......