2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

CjC wrote:
25 Nov 2023, 17:38
mwillems wrote:
25 Nov 2023, 17:29
Ben1980 wrote:
25 Nov 2023, 17:04
Another for the Lando mistake brigade....

Probably pushing a bit much, though Oscar also yellow in p3, did he make a mistake aswell?

Lando was down on Max after s2, so understand why he was pushing.
Well they are an accurate and recurring point and a hindrance to his performance this year and a worry for next so it's valid if people talk about it.
Totally agree and no doubt it’s going to be talked about from now up until the next race.
What concerns me is the pyramid of performance is going to close the grid up more and more so those last tenths the Verstappens and Hamilton’s of the world can consistently deliver get rewarded with the titles….
Indeed, those fine margins each race add up to a big margin.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

geogate
geogate

SilviuAgo wrote:
But that race was Mika's first win in F1 and for McLaren, and next year he fought and won also his first F1 title.
And my feeling wast that Abu Dhabi will be the first win for Lando. And next year he will fight for F1 title 🙈🙈🙈

Let's go 🧡🧡
Mika did have the luxury of an Adrian Newey car coming in 98 though

Ben1980
Ben1980

mwillems wrote:
25 Nov 2023, 17:40
Ben1980 wrote:
25 Nov 2023, 17:36
mwillems wrote:

Well they are an accurate and recurring point and a hindrance to his performance this year and a worry for next so it's valid if people talk about it.
Of course it's valid.

I want to see him under more pressure, and see how he does.

I can understand pushing with no real pressure. And I don't think many have been pressure mistakes, just trying too hard, especially today's.

I hope we can get into a battle position to see how he tempers it.
I think that's the first time you've acknowledged it a little 🤝
But, im not worried about the occasional mistake. I think he's wringing as much as he can and in doing so has overstepped occasionally. I can live with that, as in most cases the benefit outweighs the negative. In recent years he has shown to drag more out of the cars compared to his teammates.

But, it doesn't worry me, it will worry me, if it becomes a pressure issue. (Though I'm sure he puts himself under pressure like all top sportsmen)

CjC
CjC

Ben1980 wrote:
25 Nov 2023, 17:41
CjC wrote:
mwillems wrote:

Totally agree and no doubt it’s going to be talked about from now up until the next race.
What concerns me is the pyramid of performance is going to close the grid up more and more so those last tenths the Verstappens and Hamilton’s of the world can consistently deliver get rewarded with the titles….
Though maybe Lando is taking the most out of the car, but pushing for more. And those mistakes are mainly due to pushing to far.

He could probably have settled for a comfy second today. And, if, he was in more of a battle a comfy second would have been fine. But, what's the point of settling on the final race.
He’s looking for his first race win in F1. He has a better chance to achieve that from P2 than P5….
Just a fan's point of view

Ben1980
Ben1980

CjC wrote:
25 Nov 2023, 17:48
Ben1980 wrote:
25 Nov 2023, 17:41
CjC wrote:

Though maybe Lando is taking the most out of the car, but pushing for more. And those mistakes are mainly due to pushing to far.

He could probably have settled for a comfy second today. And, if, he was in more of a battle a comfy second would have been fine. But, what's the point of settling on the final race.
He’s looking for his first race win in F1. He has a better chance to achieve that from P2 than P5….
And a better chance from p1 even more..but in reality, p2 is the best race position.

Seerix
Seerix

Lando had -0.33 on the dash before the mistake, it could have been close. He was pretty upset as well "Yeah, you don't need to say anything. We might as well not turn up on Saturdays."

MCLvamos
MCLvamos

Any news on Oscar's impeding? It looked borderline but we're not Red Bull so will probably get a penalty I guess.

geogate
geogate

MCLvamos wrote:
25 Nov 2023, 18:24
Any news on Oscar's impeding? It looked borderline but we're not Red Bull so will probably get a penalty I guess.
no further action

props to Gasly, he confirmed to stewards that it had no impact on his lap

haza
haza

The cars been on rails all weekend (noticeably in landos hands) he’s definitely trying to extract everything plus more out of the car can see on almost every push lap he did hes pushing the limit of throttle application stepping the rear out. Pole was definitely possible today and I think the win is also possible tomorrow (bold I know but I was bold after testing predicting the mid season jump and served correctly)

mwillems

Ben1980 wrote:
25 Nov 2023, 17:45
mwillems wrote:
25 Nov 2023, 17:40
Ben1980 wrote:
25 Nov 2023, 17:36

Of course it's valid.

I want to see him under more pressure, and see how he does.

I can understand pushing with no real pressure. And I don't think many have been pressure mistakes, just trying too hard, especially today's.

I hope we can get into a battle position to see how he tempers it.
I think that's the first time you've acknowledged it a little 🤝
But, im not worried about the occasional mistake. I think he's wringing as much as he can and in doing so has overstepped occasionally. I can live with that, as in most cases the benefit outweighs the negative. In recent years he has shown to drag more out of the cars compared to his teammates.

But, it doesn't worry me, it will worry me, if it becomes a pressure issue. (Though I'm sure he puts himself under pressure like all top sportsmen)
He certainly does look like he puts himself under a lot of pressure, you do wonder, as Stella has himself said, if this is always a good thing or if he needs to ease off himself a little.

Unfortunately I think it is somewhere between 1 in 3 or 4, so not so occasional either.

-Bandit

mwillems

haza wrote:
25 Nov 2023, 18:50
The cars been on rails all weekend (noticeably in landos hands) he’s definitely trying to extract everything plus more out of the car can see on almost every push lap he did hes pushing the limit of throttle application stepping the rear out. Pole was definitely possible today and I think the win is also possible tomorrow (bold I know but I was bold after testing predicting the mid season jump and served correctly)
Bear in mind that the RB comes forward again in the race, a win tomorrow will be tough unless the race naturally opens open for us.

-Bandit

avantman
avantman

Lando was 0,29s up on Piastri on his final lap. Piastri himself had a poor final corner:
This is Lando first Q3 run on USED tires against Piastri 2nd and best run, where he left 0.06s in the final corner alone.
Mclaren had a car good enough for pole yet again.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Another could have been. Lando showing issues under pressure but I am sure he will break through it.

avantman
avantman

I've noticed this shortcoming of Lando a few years back. He's been making big or small mistake in Q3 when it matters the most quite often in the past, and I don't see any real improvement in that regard. Tomorrow the team have another big problem. They have much slower driver (at least 0.5s a lap slower in race trim) in front of the faster driver. Could cost them P2 at the end easily, which is the least this car deserves on merit.

Darth-Piekus

geogate wrote:
25 Nov 2023, 17:44
SilviuAgo wrote:
But that race was Mika's first win in F1 and for McLaren, and next year he fought and won also his first F1 title.
And my feeling wast that Abu Dhabi will be the first win for Lando. And next year he will fight for F1 title 🙈🙈🙈

Let's go 🧡🧡
Mika did have the luxury of an Adrian Newey car coming in 98 though
Then Lando will have the luxury of a car made by Peter Prodromou, Andrea Stella and the new recruits.