2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Darth-Piekus

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

The record of the MP4-4 has been equalised. A pity. Good job from Mclaren for making the biggest comeback in history. Lets beat them on the winter race now and make them chase us next year

MCLvamos
MCLvamos

FittingMechanics wrote:
26 Nov 2023, 16:05
Piastri has much better pace than Lando at the moment. I'd say Lando is frustrated and thus is not fast.
Just not true though is it. Oscar boxed well after lando too

proteus

FittingMechanics wrote:
26 Nov 2023, 16:33
Good season. Great pace after the upgrades. Slightly unhappy that we didn't finish on a high but that's how it goes sometimes.

See you in preseason testing :).
Good enough to take 4th. Hopefully they manage to start the next season with atleast as much pace as they had in the second half of this year.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

Ben1980
Ben1980

A season of ups and downs. From the position at the start to the position at the end has been phenomenal.

Two have 2 great young drivers carrying the team forward, can hopefully only be good.

To everyone here, I've loved the pointless arguments and enjoyed the people way more knowledgeable than me. Thanks for everything.

Here is to next season, and the way to see if RB can win every single race. (I'm not betting against it).

Seerix
Seerix

Oh well, very good reminder to clear Mercedes and Ferrari before aiming at RedBull. Car was not that quick today and finished where it belonged.
Either way, that mid season turnaround was probably the biggest swing I saw in F1. Props to the team for such an awesome 2nd half.

MCLvamos
MCLvamos

Last couple races highlighted we still have a lot of work to do. Merc and Ferrari are still there with compromised cars, we need to take a big step over the winter to be second fastest let alone challenge Red Bull. Great turnaround this year, but I'd be disappointed if we aren't fighting for a win or two here and there next year.

Tomsky
Tomsky

Let McLaren make the top car first, and then blame its racers, now McLaren racers are better than McLaren.

Darth-Piekus

At least when we get that championship it will be on merit and not a product of illegal budget and other shady deals.

mwillems

I just served 24hr slow cooked Bone in Pork Belly with Yorkshire puddings and parmentier potatoes all cooked in goose fat. It sounds like it would have been more fun to watch the entire overnight cooking process than the race, which thankfully I missed due to stuffing my face :lol:

Was there any particular highlight of a positive or negative nature for the team?
Last edited by mwillems on 26 Nov 2023, 16:50, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

ScottR267
ScottR267

Darth-Piekus wrote:
26 Nov 2023, 16:46
At least when we get that championship it will be on merit and not a product of illegal budget and other shady deals.
Give it a rest…..it’s a McLaren team thread.

Seerix
Seerix

Darth-Piekus wrote:
26 Nov 2023, 16:46
Your posts from alternate reality are very entertaining. Keep it up.

Darth-Piekus

I know its the Mclaren team thread. That is why I will be proud of our team when they get that championship on merit fair and square. Im already proud that we turned things around without resorting to other means.

MCLvamos
MCLvamos

mwillems wrote:
26 Nov 2023, 16:48
I just served 24hr slow cooked Bone in Pork Belly with Yorkshire puddings and parmentier potatoes all cooked in goose fat. It sounds like it would have been more fun to watch the entire overnight cooking process than the race, which thankfully I missed due to stuffing my face :lol:

Was there any particular highlight of a positive or negative nature for the team?
Not really, pace wasn't great which was pretty surprising. Perhaps lost a finishing spot to Russell with a slow stop for Lando but he was probably quicker (might have been able to keep him behind but we'll never know). Other than that and some minor contact with Perez, a pretty boring run to P5 and 6

Darth-Piekus

Pace was suprisingly bad today. Over the winter we have a chance to turn things around with the new stuff we got and the best facilities on the grid.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Not a bad race, just lacked pure pace. Lando was unable to take 4th place in the individual standings, but the team is confidently in 4th place in the constructors' cup! That's important. Considering the first third of the season, it was an impressive progress over the course of the season. Lando and Oscar, who previously could only claim a few points at best, started to fight for podiums frequently. The off-season is a good way to recharge the batteries, and for the team to prepare an updated car for 2024 that will be fighting in the top3 from the first races of the season.

The team has a lot of data on the car's strengths and weaknesses, so once again I'll trust the words of Stella, who previously said he was happy with the numbers he saw in the development of the 2024 car. I'm sure the car will be thoroughly redesigned to address weaknesses and tighten up strong traits. In qualifying the car looks competitive, but in the race tire wear and overall pace need to be improved. Chassis balance and handling and other little things need to be improved.

I'd like to hear soon about Lando's contract extension with McLaren. That's the point that's been bugging me. Thanks to all the McLaren fans. It's nice to read and see that the team has a lot of fans who are hungry for wins.