2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
taperoo2k
taperoo2k

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

ScottR267 wrote:
26 Nov 2023, 18:13
Darth-Piekus wrote:
26 Nov 2023, 17:58
We got to outdevelop Red Bull at winter. I dont want to see another year like this. We are the only ones that can do it. I dont think Ferrari and Mercedes are capable of challenging Red Bull with how they operate. I want us to beat Max and see how he can cope not having the best car by a mile.
Mate I appreciate you’re an ardent McLaren fan but come on a little sense of realism too.

We all, myself included want to see McLaren back on top, however to rule out certainly Mercedes is ridiculous! Have they struggled under the new regulations……yes, however they also despite this have finished above McLaren in both seasons of the new regs and have 2 great drivers. This the same Mercedes who have had 7 drivers titles and 8 constructors titles…..think they know how to win
McLaren are on an upward trajectory, thanks to Zak Brown taking a lot of tough decisions since the debacle with Honda ended. I'd never count Mercedes out, sure they've had a shocking few seasons due to going down a development road that only led to a dead end. With James Allison back I expect the Mercedes will be much improved in 2024. If anything losing as badly as they have done will just reaffirm their desire to win. Give Lewis and Russel a car that's capable of challenging the Red Bulls and we'd have a pretty exciting time on our hands. Throw Lando and Oscar into the mix along with the Ferrari drivers...

I'd be over the moon if McLaren rock up to the first race with a car that's able to fight the Red Bulls for wins on a consistent basis. However if they can secure 2nd or 3rd in the constructors that would be a good result and progress towards becoming a team that wins on a consistent basis. McLaren are still learning how to walk before they can run.
Ferrari, yes I can see the point as strategy and development for them has been a little erratic. In saying that who knows what Fred can do there…..
Fred hasn't been there long and he does need time to turn things around. Leclerc and Sainz have shown flashes of what Ferrari are capable of on a good day. Ferrari need consistency and of course a car capable of challenging Red Bull. But I'd not discount Ferrari making a comeback next season either.

I think the last few races are likely the result of McLaren being focused on the 2024 car. As most teams will be, it's about 3 months to the start of the 2024 season. With only a week between the pre season test and first race, you can't avoid to make mistakes.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Seerix wrote:
27 Nov 2023, 14:27
FittingMechanics wrote:
27 Nov 2023, 12:58
EDIT: Oh and I hope next car is called MCL61.
I'd expect MCL37, they used MCL60 as a 60th anniversary. Otherwise we might end up like Ferrari with pretty random car names.
But why - MCL37 is not 37th car by McLaren - it is 61st "year". Why not keep celebrating your history.

37 is if they use numbers from the merger of project 4 and McLaren (MP4).

Marc.W

I like MCL61 as a new chassis code, it finally does away with the old MP chassis numbering and gives the number more meaning

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Marc.W wrote:
27 Nov 2023, 21:25
I like MCL61 as a new chassis code, it finally does away with the old MP chassis numbering and gives the number more meaning
That is my thinking as well. It would celebrate the "age" of McLaren and keep it simple. What I definitely don't want is Ferrari style number shenanigans where they don't follow any system and just change it all the time.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Regarding the wind tunnel: the 2024 chassis is being developed in Woking. There were reports earlier this year that McLaren and Toyota were ceasing operations where the formula 1 chassis was being developed there. Now the F1 chassis is being developed in a new wind tunnel, but some other cars including race cars may still be tested at Toyota. That's what I understand from the official words of the two companies. The team's updated wind tunnel was technically ready back in the spring, and by the beginning of summer all calibration and debugging of all systems had been completed. So there is nothing stopping the team from using the new instrument from July. And for some reason I am sure that already in July the team started working on the 2024 chassis.

Darth-Piekus

That is good news then. If its calibrated and ready I see no reason why we cant use it immediately and try to surpass Red Bull. If we outdeveloped them so much this year with the old facilities then I expect two times the quality from the new facilities.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Darth-Piekus wrote:
28 Nov 2023, 18:48
That is good news then. If its calibrated and ready I see no reason why we cant use it immediately and try to surpass Red Bull. If we outdeveloped them so much this year with the old facilities then I expect two times the quality from the new facilities.
Obviously, we didn't out develop them, nobody did, they won 21 of 22 races. I would suggest you tone down expectations of surpassing Red Bull. I don't know why you think it's such an easy thing to do. They practically stood still and weren't caught in 2023. It's about closing the gap enough to provide a challenge, fight for podiums and be in a position to win if the opportunity presents itself. McLaren will basically be pushing to be P2 from the get go.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

_cerber1

trinidefender
trinidefender

McLaren signs Monster energy on a multi year sponsorship deal.

https://www.mclaren.com/racing/formula ... la-1-team/

daren_p
daren_p

Ground Effect wrote:
28 Nov 2023, 19:13
Darth-Piekus wrote:
Obviously, we didn't out develop them, nobody did, they won 21 of 22 races. I would suggest you tone down expectations of surpassing Red Bull. I don't know why you think it's such an easy thing to do. They practically stood still and weren't caught in 2023. It's about closing the gap enough to provide a challenge, fight for podiums and be in a position to win if the opportunity presents itself. McLaren will basically be pushing to be P2 from the get go.

^^^This, Redbull didn't bring much to the car in 23 because they had a penalty & also because they had the pace that they didn't need too. I highly doubt they were just sitting there not doing anything, while other were working on this years car they were likely working on next years. Unfortunately I would not be surprised if RB actually open the gap compared to the chasing teams at the start of next season. Only hope is with MCL's new resources coming online maybe they still have some low hanging fruit to possibly help keep on par with RB.

mwillems

Ground Effect wrote:
28 Nov 2023, 19:13
Darth-Piekus wrote:
The gap to RB decreased so we did in fact out develop them.

But it is important to remember that they had the luxury of switching to the 2024 car much earlier due to their dominance, and because of the budget cap penalty. Were it a straight fight it isn't clear that we would still have found more time than them.

Unless they have made a serious mistake, I expect the RB20 to be clear No 1 once more, even if we do start a bit closer.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

trinidefender wrote:
28 Nov 2023, 19:45

Any relationship between Monster and Coca-Cola?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

mwillems

Interesting and satisfying that they have jumped ship from Merc and come to Mclaren.

-Bandit

mwillems

Ground Effect wrote:
28 Nov 2023, 20:42
trinidefender wrote:
28 Nov 2023, 19:45

Any relationship between Monster and Coca-Cola?
Yes they have a 20% stake in Monster energy.

-Bandit

haza
haza

Zak has gained “a seat at the table” with Mercedes pu development

https://x.com/mclarenf1_news/status/172 ... CA5OmEDv0w