Toto Wolff accused of leaking/receiving confidential information

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
SiLo

Re: Toto Wolff accused of leaking/receiving confidential information

AR3-GP wrote:
08 Dec 2023, 02:35
Wolff and Mercedes are so often the ones doing the damaging rumor spreading. Toto made many unfounded allegations during the budget cap saga to the point that school children were being bullied over it. We've had years and years of unfounded flexible car allegations from this team as well. He was not too concerned with reputational damages to the others at that time.
Why even post this? It adds nothing to the current discussion.

Here's basically a summary of what happened:

FIA: I'm going to investigate Susie Wolff, are you guys in?
Everyone: No.
FIA: Yeah, me neither.

But for some reason you'd rather try and be negative about Toto, rather than focusing on the fact that this was all a bunch of allegations made up by some dodgy F1 reporting site.

More relevant, on topic news about it here https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/67654980. Most tellingly, this little tidbit:
The following day, all nine other F1 teams issued co-ordinated, identically worded statements clarifying they had made no complaints to the FIA about the Wolffs' relationship and were "pleased and proud to support F1 Academy and its managing director".
Felipe Baby!

ThijsMuis
ThijsMuis

AR3-GP wrote:
Wolff and Mercedes are so often the ones doing the damaging rumor spreading. Toto made many unfounded allegations during the budget cap saga to the point that school children were being bullied over it. We've had years and years of unfounded flexible car allegations from this team as well. He was not too concerned with reputational damages to the others at that time.
The leak was from the FIA.
Binotto and Toto both knew from this sorce.
So unfounded?

What do you make of this link for unfounded?
Horner saying same thing here but seems unfounded.

https://www.independent.co.uk/f1/f1-cos ... 24125.html

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

ThijsMuis wrote:
08 Dec 2023, 12:02
AR3-GP wrote:
So unfounded?

“But there is that chance that several teams, many of which have stated it during F1 commission meetings, will break the cap this year.”

Yes this is quite damning…

In any case budget caps were not the only example and it’s only a sentiment. The paddock needs to show greater sensitivity to reputational damages from spurious claims, especially by those within. This subject of this thread and how the paddock reacted so swiftly is simply ironic.

mwillems

AR3-GP wrote:
08 Dec 2023, 12:09
ThijsMuis wrote:
08 Dec 2023, 12:02
AR3-GP wrote:
So unfounded?

“But there is that chance that several teams, many of which have stated it during F1 commission meetings, will break the cap this year.”

Yes this is quite damning…

In any case budget caps were not the only example and it’s only a sentiment. The paddock needs to show greater sensitivity to reputational damages from spurious claims, especially by those within. This subject of this thread and how the paddock reacted so swiftly is simply ironic.
I've always had the sentiment that Horner and Wolff are as bad as each other in the shots that they fire at each other, with Horner saying this season I think how much he enjoys getting under Wolfs skin. Let's not forget the recent comments from Horner about Hamilton looking for a seat at RB.

In terms of the budget cap, Zak Brown was one of the main protagonists also, but I think almost every team principal had something strong to say about RB and the notion that when Horner was talking about bullying related just to Wolff is something that I don't recognise, it was the paddock and the media that he was referring to I think.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Wouter

The Power of Dreams!

Wouter

The Power of Dreams!

TFSA

mwillems wrote:
08 Dec 2023, 13:19
I've always had the sentiment that Horner and Wolff are as bad as each other in the shots that they fire at each other, with Horner saying this season I think how much he enjoys getting under Wolfs skin. Let's not forget the recent comments from Horner about Hamilton looking for a seat at RB.

In terms of the budget cap, Zak Brown was one of the main protagonists also, but I think almost every team principal had something strong to say about RB and the notion that when Horner was talking about bullying related just to Wolff is something that I don't recognise, it was the paddock and the media that he was referring to I think.
Zak Browns comments were made after the official documents were released if I recall correctly. So at that point, it was official.

As for Horner and Wolff, in this particular case, Horner was one of the first people to deny that they had complained about Mercedes to the FIA. He did that on Sky, when they were doing a podcast.

TFSA

Wouter wrote:
08 Dec 2023, 14:15
I have a hard time seeing Toto get anywhere with this. He's just trying to flex his muscles here.

From my viewpoint, the FIA didn't do anything judicially wrong. They did their job as a governing body. They conducted an initial assessment/inquiry (calling it an investigation at that point is probably overstating it) with the FOM. FOM replied with their procedures for making sure confidential information isn't leaked. FIA said "This looks good to us" and ended it. None of that is wrong on a technical level. They can investigate if they want to. Had they decided not to investigate, they'd have people screaming foul for that as well.

This is all being used as a power play at this point - and I'm not sure it's the FIA who is to blame here. Seems more like the Wolffs are trying to capitalize on this now against the FIA, when the real culprit is a tabloid which I (shamelessly at the time) used as a source to start this very thread.

mwillems

TFSA wrote:
08 Dec 2023, 14:29
mwillems wrote:
08 Dec 2023, 13:19

Zak Browns comments were made after the official documents were released if I recall correctly. So at that point, it was official.

As for Horner and Wolff, in this particular case, Horner was one of the first people to deny that they had complained about Mercedes to the FIA. He did that on Sky, when they were doing a podcast.
It was before any details were released. When Horner spoke of the bullying it was the weekend after Zak had written his open letter and they put Zak and Horner in the same press conference. We knew there was a breach, but exactly what, how much and how were speculation.

https://www.crash.net/f1/news/1015229/1 ... llegations

-Bandit

organic

Apparently Bin Sulayem will not attend the FIA prize giving gala due to 'a concussion' :mrgreen: likely story

https://x.com/ErikvHaren/status/1733110 ... 76222?s=20

mwillems

organic wrote:
08 Dec 2023, 15:10
Apparently Bin Sulayem will not attend the FIA prize giving gala due to 'a concussion' :mrgreen: likely story

He may have been hit squarely in the head by a wave of dislike and condemnation, that can leave quite a bruise.
Last edited by mwillems on 08 Dec 2023, 15:36, edited 1 time in total.

-Bandit

organic

mwillems wrote:
08 Dec 2023, 15:11
organic wrote:

He may have been his squarely in the head by a wave of dislike and condemnation, that can leave quite a bruise.
An important extra note
Ben Sulayem may still be present at the gala itself tonight, but he will not hand out as many awards as originally intended.
https://twitter.com/ErikvHaren/status/1 ... 28616?s=20

mwillems

organic wrote:
08 Dec 2023, 15:19
mwillems wrote:
08 Dec 2023, 15:11
organic wrote:

He may have been his squarely in the head by a wave of dislike and condemnation, that can leave quite a bruise.
An important extra note
Ben Sulayem may still be present at the gala itself tonight, but he will not hand out as many awards as originally intended.
https://twitter.com/ErikvHaren/status/1 ... 28616?s=20
One assumes that will include the trophy for second place in the F1 constructors :?

In public at least the FIA have done nothing technically wrong, and probably should have investigated. But it should also have been made clear for those involved that there was no evidence of wrong doing at that point, as a courtesy for those involved and to release some pressure and not to add to it.

But I do wonder what might have happened behind the scenes that we are not yet aware of.

-Bandit

TFSA

mwillems wrote:
08 Dec 2023, 15:00
It was before any details were released. When Horner spoke of the bullying it was the weekend after Zak had written his open letter and they put Zak and Horner in the same press conference. We knew there was a breach, but exactly what, how much and how were speculation.
I don't see your point.

From the article you yourself linked, Brown never named Red Bull. What he wrote in the letter to the FIA was that any breaching of the cost cap should be considered cheating.

I don't necessarily agree, but it's a perfectly reasonable opinion to have. I fail to see what the problem is with his letter. Christian Horner playing Red Bull as the victims at the press conference doesn't really move me in that regard. I don't see Brown doing anything wrong here.

Edit: I agree with your later post that the FIA maybe could (or should) have announced that nobody was considered accused of anything at this point. They really aren't great at PR.

mwillems

TFSA wrote:
08 Dec 2023, 15:45
mwillems wrote:
08 Dec 2023, 15:00
I don't see your point.

From the article you yourself linked, Brown never named Red Bull. What he wrote in the letter to the FIA was that any breaching of the cost cap should be considered cheating.

I don't necessarily agree, but it's a perfectly reasonable opinion to have. I fail to see what the problem is with his letter. Christian Horner playing Red Bull as the victims at the press conference doesn't really move me in that regard. I don't see Brown doing anything wrong here.

Edit: I agree with your later post that the FIA maybe could (or should) have announced that nobody was considered accused of anything at this point. They really aren't great at PR.
The post by A3-GP suggested Wolff was the person making remarks that got folks kids bullied at RB.

The point made is that Wolff was not the sole person sending strong opinions in the direction of Red Bull to make Horner want to talk about the bullying etc. That was the result of a number of things, including the letter that Zak wrote, and the media and literally anyone who was pointing unpleasant fingers at RB, which was almost everyone apart from RB fans at that point. It's simply a rejection of the notion that Wolff alone, or even in any kind of majority was responsible for Horners push back and remarks about how this had impacted individuals in his team and their families.

-Bandit