2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
organic

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

SmallSoldier wrote:
17 Jan 2024, 22:40
It will depend on what changes are made to the car and if they need to validate new developments first… Depending the architectural changes to the chasis, they may decide to test with the 2023 aero package (if it can be used with the new chassis) to validate the mechanical improvements before they use the new aero package on the car.

From an aero perspective, they may also introduce parts during testing in an step process to validate parts individually.
Nice to see you again. I've always appreciated your posts here =D>

Both of those would be intriguing as we haven't seen that happen in '22 or '23 preseason testing had we?

Mansell89
Mansell89

billamend wrote:
17 Jan 2024, 16:57
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... kSISj.html
I’m feeling confident. I think all the men and women at McLaren have done a fantastic job in the off-season.

Of course, there will be a continued development [with the car], so we’re not done, we’re just done with our launch spec car – expect continued improvement over the course of the year.

Clearly, we want to continue to close the gap [to the front]. I think we finished up last year as the second or third-quickest team, [depending on] which circuit you were at.

[But] Red Bull certainly seem like they didn’t develop last year to the level they could [have done] if they wanted to, so that could be an unpleasant surprise for all of us!
So far, I have to say we don’t see the diminishing returns. This obviously will have to be proven once we put the car on the ground.

When it comes to the wind tunnel development, the CFD development, we see that the gradient we established last year that led to the Austria development and then the Singapore development, it seems like we can maintain it.

That’s also where I would expect the launch car to be, at the start of the season, and we are already starting to work on the further developments that we hope to bring relatively soon in-season – and they also seem to be quite interesting.

I would say in terms of the regulations themselves, and in terms of the development we are having specifically at McLaren, we are seeing that the kind of linear gradient of development can be maintained.
It’s as bullish as he has ever been- despite his enthusiasm Zak has always been very realistic on timescales for improvements etc but this year there is this confidence in the development trail- I really hope they put together a very good car and one that continues to get faster, but always that fear of falling flat after bullish talk isn’t there! It’s positive that they are starting to look beyond launch spec because they are confident they have a better starting point, and that the pipeline appears to have some performance coming not just in Bahrain.

As always though, gotta go show it on track!

I think Newey and RBR will come out doing somersaults but that should not take away from our ambition to fight for a podium earlier on this year!

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Whole "we see no diminishing returns" is a huge positive statements. I would have expected there to be since we had such a big boost in performance during last season.

But it could also mean that Red Bull have same kind of "runway" to develop into. If others are not following we could get an even more lopsided season.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

FittingMechanics wrote:
18 Jan 2024, 00:46
Whole "we see no diminishing returns" is a huge positive statements. I would have expected there to be since we had such a big boost in performance during last season.

But it could also mean that Red Bull have same kind of "runway" to develop into. If others are not following we could get an even more lopsided season.
Diminishing returns is crazy talk. F1 has not had ground effect cars for decades but teams were supposed to plateau in the 2nd or 3rd year? :lol: . That was always just wishful thinking in order to imagine that RB would be caught sooner rather than later.

Development has been heavily restricted due to caps on windtunnel, cfd, and budget. This means it will take even longer to plateau if such a thing exist. Teams can no longer just dig to the center of the earth with uncapped resources. It will take multiple seasons to flesh out ground effects.

MrGapes

Happy to hear they'll be doing some test around Silverstone prior, they probably won't be able to get much in terms of aero correlation. But hopefully they will be able to confirm the car is architecturally sound a week prior to preseason testing...

Wouldn't want another wheel brow situation, I just hope testing goes smoothly this year.. with the brake ducts overheating in 2022 and loose wheel brow in 2023, testing wasn't very enjoyable to watch. :(

edit: I meant shakedown not an actual testing session.
Last edited by MrGapes on 18 Jan 2024, 09:24, edited 1 time in total.

_cerber1

I am a little concerned about the choice of Silverstone, it is not famous for good weather at this time. I don't understand why it was impossible to shoot in Bahrain?

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

_cerber1 wrote:
18 Jan 2024, 09:14
I am a little concerned about the choice of Silverstone, it is not famous for good weather at this time. I don't understand why it was impossible to shoot in Bahrain?
It's a 100km shakedown. Not a test. Cost is probably a factor.

MrGapes

_cerber1 wrote:
They have done the shakedowns at the testing venue for the last few years, and those are usually scheduled the day before testing begins. Silverstone allows them to test straight after launch, and gives them a week till preseason begins to reinforcement any bits or any initial feedback.

I don't think weather is that important as its not proper data collection its just a 'shakedown'

_cerber1

FittingMechanics wrote:
18 Jan 2024, 09:15
_cerber1 wrote:
Starting this year, two days of 200 km are available, this is significant, and it is better to do it in warm conditions, on dry asphalt.

BMMR61

_cerber1 wrote:
18 Jan 2024, 10:14
FittingMechanics wrote:
18 Jan 2024, 09:15
_cerber1 wrote:
Starting this year, two days of 200 km are available, this is significant, and it is better to do it in warm conditions, on dry asphalt.
From memory the last couple of years it's been reduced from two lots of three days, to three days - and now only two days? Here's hoping McLaren get a trouble free run with lots of valuable data, it'll be a very busy time.

_cerber1

BMMR61 wrote:
18 Jan 2024, 10:25
From memory the last couple of years it's been reduced from two lots of three days, to three days - and now only two days? Here's hoping McLaren get a trouble free run with lots of valuable data, it'll be a very busy time.
You speak for the tests, I spoke about the shooting days for each team.

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
It will depend on what changes are made to the car and if they need to validate new developments first… Depending the architectural changes to the chasis, they may decide to test with the 2023 aero package (if it can be used with the new chassis) to validate the mechanical improvements before they use the new aero package on the car.

From an aero perspective, they may also introduce parts during testing in an step process to validate parts individually.
I'm sure there will be an iterative process, I wouldn't suggest the car starting the testing will be the car finishing it as they will want to benchmark certain aspects and review the impact of each part. But I would expect it to look closer to the 24 car than the 23 and probably by a margin.

But as for using '23 parts, this may well be possible because it is in many ways what happened with the Austria update in that updates were brought that would work as a package at each race and with some older parts on the car, until the entire aero package was overhauled in the next 3 races. So the first update was the Sidepods, Floor, diffuser, engine cover etc... but this still covered the bulk of the car. The reason being that the parts are far less independent and the balance far more sensitive now.

But then those parts new in season were designed for that MCL60 chassis, cooling layout etc Are they that compatible? Everything tends to be quite a tight fit on these cars are we expecting the internals to not change much?
Last edited by mwillems on 18 Jan 2024, 15:13, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

bauc

Number of sponsors per team, Mclaren currently on the top spot with 45.

Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

mwillems

OnEcRiTiCaL wrote:
17 Jan 2024, 23:05
SmallSoldier wrote:

They gonna have a car test after car lunch ,so why they would run the old package? At winter test so less time,that there are no time for old parts .
We're expecting changes to the platform itself on which the Aero sits. It is possible they may wish to compare this platform to the old car by mounting the old aero parts and review the results. It sounds a stretch to me because I'm also expecting the internal packaging to change such as cooling and the SIPS (Maybe even more of the crash structure) and I'm not entirely sure this would work as they don't typically leave space unused, but it might. If they could do it you can see a use for it.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

the EDGE
the EDGE

Someone catch me up please... Why do we think McLaren will shakedown at Silverstone before the Bahrain test?

Is this from the team, media or just speculation?