2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
djos

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

Which race was it last year where he drove from the back into the points, Vegas? The kid can race and race hard.
"In downforce we trust"

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

djos wrote:
21 Jan 2024, 01:22
Which race was it last year where he drove from the back into the points, Vegas? The kid can race and race hard.
He’s not saying Oscar doesn’t have race craft. He’s saying Oscar was slower than Norris in most races.

There can be many reasons for that including Oscar being a rookie and having to learn many tracks on the go.

djos

AR3-GP wrote:
21 Jan 2024, 06:33
djos wrote:
21 Jan 2024, 01:22
He’s not saying Oscar doesn’t have race craft. He’s saying Oscar was slower than Norris in most races.

There can be many reasons for that including Oscar being a rookie and having to learn many tracks on the go.
IMO, He was only slower when he'd used up his tires.
"In downforce we trust"

mwillems

His racecraft seemed OK but he struggled in a tricky fight for position without killing his tyres and retarding his race. Even then a good race is where he could keep up with Lando. On race pace Lando is one of the best IMO so that's not a criticism of Oscar.

But the more important point is that Lando needs to get clever in Qualy to challenge Max at some races this year, because if you don't take your opportunity to get in front, winning races becomes a lot harder. Particularly if your own teammate gets ahead of you in Q.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Marc.W

All being well the car will be less edgy on the limit and allow Lando to push without the mistakes

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Oscar also had a year out with no racing whatsoever. Also, the F2 tyres were vastly different from what's used in F1. Lando also had issues with race pace/tyre management early on, these things get fixed with experience. Oscar is certainly talented and smart enough to improve year on year. He'll definitely be a stronger force in 2024.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

scuderiabrandon

Oscar's tyre management issues aren't inherit. I think most rookies struggle with it because it is so dofferent from the tyres in F2. Biggest challenge I would assume is learning where you can push the tyres and where you should save them. I have big expectations for him this season.

mwillems

Marc.W wrote:
21 Jan 2024, 11:37
All being well the car will be less edgy on the limit and allow Lando to push without the mistakes

I'm sure it will help , but I don't think it's right to put it all on the car (Not that you are saying this). Stella's view is very much working with the drivers to improve their single lap output is one of their goals for 2024, having highlighted Lando's need to improve qualifying results to be able to challenge Max.

https://www.the-race.com/formula-1/mcla ... mark-2024/

But stella also won't ignore the fact that they need to look to see if there is any underlying behaviour of the car that caused the errors in 23, but does say that so far, beyond the cars known behaviours, there isn't evidence of anything else yet.

https://racingnews365.com/mclaren-revea ... g-mistakes

More praise for Stella, but I love that he has the relationship with everyone in the team, drivers included, to be able to have an honest conversation about strengths and weaknesses.

Max is just that good that you need to be at his level you need to be near perfect.

-Bandit

mwillems

scuderiabrandon wrote:
21 Jan 2024, 12:08
Oscar's tyre management issues aren't inherit. I think most rookies struggle with it because it is so dofferent from the tyres in F2. Biggest challenge I would assume is learning where you can push the tyres and where you should save them. I have big expectations for him this season.
Yes totally.
Stella comments about his need to go through the learning curve.
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/mclar ... /10527142/

Stella's comments about his exceptional learning ability, including getting on top of the tyres during a race.
https://www.racefans.net/2023/11/29/pia ... on-stella/

But it is the tricky follow up season, he has to do more, be better and deliver more now having already set a high bar for himself. Getting on top of the tyres is different from mastering them, which can go a long way in F1.
Last edited by mwillems on 21 Jan 2024, 12:26, edited 1 time in total.

-Bandit

djos

scuderiabrandon wrote:
Iirc, Mark Webber mentioned that he left F1 early for the WEC due to the “Mickey mouse” Pirelli tires. He hated them and said they were a big factor in him leaving earlier than he might have otherwise done.

I know they’ve changed a lot since then, but I doubt they’ve ever been as good as the Michelin’s and Bridgestone tires from a driver point of view.
"In downforce we trust"

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

djos wrote:
21 Jan 2024, 12:26
scuderiabrandon wrote:
Iirc, Mark Webber mentioned that he left F1 early for the WEC due to the “Mickey mouse” Pirelli tires. He hated them and said they were a big factor in him leaving earlier than he might have otherwise done.

I know they’ve changed a lot since then, but I doubt they’ve ever been as good as the Michelin’s and Bridgestone tires from a driver point of view.
Yep, Mark absolutely hated those tyres, that's why he was unable to replicate his 2010 form. But I'm pretty sure Oscar will gain a good understanding of the tyres and we'll see a big step forward in that regard.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Marc.W

mwillems wrote:
21 Jan 2024, 12:15
Marc.W wrote:
21 Jan 2024, 11:37

I'm sure it will help , but I don't think it's right to put it all on the car (Not that you are saying this). Stella's view is very much working with the drivers to improve their single lap output is one of their goals for 2024, having highlighted Lando's need to improve qualifying results to be able to challenge Max.

https://www.the-race.com/formula-1/mcla ... mark-2024/

But stella also won't ignore the fact that they need to look to see if there is any underlying behaviour of the car that caused the errors in 23, but does say that so far, beyond the cars known behaviours, there isn't evidence of anything else yet.

https://racingnews365.com/mclaren-revea ... g-mistakes

More praise for Stella, but I love that he has the relationship with everyone in the team, drivers included, to be able to have an honest conversation about strengths and weaknesses.

Max is just that good that you need to be at his level you need to be near perfect.
Completely agree, Oscar was able to have some stunning results on Saturday in the same car, I'm interested to see how that battle is going to play out this year!

Tomsky
Tomsky

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

One could make an argument that qualifying is not their priority