2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

Macklaren wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 03:43
With these raging Lewis to Ferrari rumors, I wonder if Lando is kicking himself one week in. Though Lewis's move doesn't bode well for merc
What consequence would it be to Lando? The only team worth leaving Mclaren for would have been RB.

Macklaren
Macklaren

We will know in roughly 3 weeks

pazazamadaz
pazazamadaz

I wonder if Lewis was waiting to see what Lando did before making his decision. If it is true that he's going to Farrari. Maybe he was keen on a return to a resurgent McLaren if Lando went to Red Bull.

Also, what does this say about the situation at Mercedes? Does it suggest all is not well.

Ben1980
Ben1980

If Merc want Lando, and Lando wants Merc, his nice new contract, with no timescales given I think, may have a big chunky release clause to be paid. I'm sure the team would have been aware of the Hamilyon news before releasing the contract details.

Macklaren
Macklaren

This is a huge opportunity for McLaren in 2024
. Merc and Ferrari will both be undoubtedly destabilized by their driver situations

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Ben1980 wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 12:48
If Merc want Lando, and Lando wants Merc, his nice new contract, with no timescales given I think, may have a big chunky release clause to be paid. I'm sure the team would have been aware of the Hamilyon news before releasing the contract details.
His previous contract was firm through 2025, it would be ridiculous for McLaren to offer a new contract that left them more exposed. I'm of the opinion that whatever options he has would be after 2026, there's really no need to rush through a new contract, with likely a higher salary, but less secure for the team. That doesn't add up for me.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

pazazamadaz wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 12:40
I wonder if Lewis was waiting to see what Lando did before making his decision. If it is true that he's going to Farrari. Maybe he was keen on a return to a resurgent McLaren if Lando went to Red Bull.

Also, what does this say about the situation at Mercedes? Does it suggest all is not well.
With the reality that Hamilton is moving to Ferrari, I wonder if Hamilton being very positive about McLaren during the last year was him trying to keep his options open. Could also explain why both McLaren and Ferrari announced their extensions in the last few days.

Would be great to know what was Hamilton's preferred move.

Macklaren
Macklaren

Another master move by Zak. I cannot imagine that this was a secret to all the other TPs.
can you imagine the speculation around Lando now if the contract was not renewed less than a week ago??

mwillems

Macklaren wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 15:35
Another master move by Zak. I cannot imagine that this was a secret to all the other TPs.
can you imagine the speculation around Lando now if the contract was not renewed less than a week ago??
If the TPs knew then Lando knew and if he'd wanted to go to Merc he would not have signed, but he did.

Lando is going nowhere and I doubt he'd want to. But if he didn't know, I doubt he'd still want to go. it's a sideways move so he'd be gaining little by going to Merc but would lose everything he has built up at Mclaren.

Poor old Sainz, always the Bridesmaid. He's a nice guy and I know some rate him highly, especially in the comparisons to Lando in the early days. But it seems the Paddock doesn't value him any more than just a solid good driver.

I hope he gets the Merc seat but you'd think Albon will get it.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

mwillems wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 15:46
Macklaren wrote:
If the TPs knew then Lando knew and if he'd wanted to go to Merc he would not have signed, but he did.

Lando is going nowhere and I doubt he'd want to. But if he didn't know, I doubt he'd still want to go. it's a sideways move so he'd be gaining little by going to Merc but would lose everything he has built up at Mclaren.

Poor old Sainz, always the Bridesmaid. He's a nice guy and I know some rate him highly, especially in the comparisons to Lando in the early days. But it seems the Paddock doesn't value him any more than just a solid good driver.

In fairness to Sainz - Hamilton is a world class 7 time world champion. Hard for Ferrari to say no if Hamilton is knocking. They have a younger guy in Leclerc (26).

I do think Sainz is a good solid driver but his options will be quite limited. He could end up like Bottas in a low midfield team.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

mwillems wrote:
Macklaren wrote:

Do you think Lando knew about Hamilton?

mwillems

AR3-GP wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 16:36
mwillems wrote:
Macklaren wrote:

Do you think Lando knew about Hamilton?
I don't know, but I think that if the TPs knew then Lando knew. Either way I think the Mclaren deal was not a direct response to Hamilton, it was always next on the cards for Mclaren and Lando and whilst it might have played into what Landos numbers looked liked, I don't think he was off to Merc.

-Bandit

mwillems

FittingMechanics wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 16:29
mwillems wrote:
Macklaren wrote:

In fairness to Sainz - Hamilton is a world class 7 time world champion. Hard for Ferrari to say no if Hamilton is knocking. They have a younger guy in Leclerc (26).

I do think Sainz is a good solid driver but his options will be quite limited. He could end up like Bottas in a low midfield team.
Yeah he's a better driver for sure. I think Sainz is "just" a solid driver, but well worth a seat in F1, I never thought he was going to better Leclerc, but he did better than I thought he would. But in part that is circumstance and in part that is Leclercs errors, because Leclerc is outright the faster driver. I don't think Lando had the biggest challenge in terms of team mates when against Carlos but he was by no means a pushover either. But that just about sums up Carlos, and it's why no-one seems to make or keep him as their number 1.

Too good to be a number 2 at a big team, not good enough for number 1 at a big team.
Last edited by mwillems on 01 Feb 2024, 16:50, edited 1 time in total.

-Bandit

CjC
CjC

Even if Lando knew about Lewis I still think his reasons to stay at McLaren and not move to Red Bull apply for not moving to Mercedes.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/norr ... /10569447/
Just a fan's point of view

bauc

Lando's decision has nothing to do with Lewis or Mercedes. He honestly thinks Mclaren is the best for him in the short to medium term, and if you look at it, it makes sense.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg