2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

DGP123 wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 16:29
There’s nothing remotely special about Albon, Gasly or Ocon. They’ve all been tried and tested, and only excel at mid tier teams, when the pressure is off.

IMO, they need to be bold and go for Antonelli. He’s massively hyped, as Max was, and he was fast tracked. If you’re good enough, you are old enough. No point playing safe now Mercedes aren’t at the front of F1
Mick’s another.

He might be a stop gap.
Last edited by 214270 on 01 Feb 2024, 16:42, edited 1 time in total.
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

organic

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

Wow. Thought I was in a dream. This tells me the w15 is likely a dog. But the audacity of Lewis to team up with leclerc, who is regarded as many as the fastest driver in one lap and is as hungry as they come for a wdc? I can’t believe you did that Lewis. Another bold move. I didn’t like his switch in 2013 and I was proven wrong. I like this move even less. Also saddens me to see how the Mercedes juggernaut has crumbled down. They will probably be stuck in the midfield for years now until the board decides to pull the plug. Wow.

DGP123
DGP123

Hammerfist wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 16:42
This tells me the w15 is likely a dog.
Let’s wait and see. Might think Allison can bag me number 8, and Ferrari can get me to double figures.

Luscion
Luscion

Hammerfist wrote:
Wow. Thought I was in a dream. This tells me the w15 is likely a dog. But the audacity of Lewis to team up with leclerc, who is regarded as many as the fastest driver in one lap and is as hungry as they come for a wdc? I can’t believe you did that Lewis. Another bold move. I didn’t like his switch in 2013 and I was proven wrong. I like this move even less. Also saddens me to see how the Mercedes juggernaut has crumbled down. They will probably be stuck in the midfield for years now until the board decides to pull the plug. Wow.
Lewis only tested the W15 two days ago, the negotiations for this deal would have likely been a thing for quite a while now, considering he wouldnt have taken this move lightly. I can only see this being a W15 performance issue if it was what made him pull the trigger on an already ongoing negotiation. I'm very interested in what Vasseur offered/showed Hamilton that made him go against him wanting to end his career with Mercedes, or perhaps a falling out with Toto?

madsonit
madsonit

Hammerfist wrote:
Also saddens me to see how the Mercedes juggernaut has crumbled down. They will probably be stuck in the midfield for years now until the board decides to pull the plug. Wow.
3rd in 2022 and 2nd in 2023. After being first for 8 years straight. Not sure how that is considered crumbling down. Every athlete has good and bad years. You don't just depend on yourself, but also the competition. Same with teams.
Could've been much worse. For someone who is used to #1, #2 is not great but still, there are others even lower than that.

And yes, W15 could be bad, or could be great or even mediocre. Who knows? I'm sure even they don't know 100%. Their simulations were saying the 2022 is the bomb and that didn't work out. So the idea that he tried the car and signed, is pretty much nonsense. This decision was made over the winter, when the car was still being developed and there was no actual simulator model anyway - if that is even relevant.

What's certain is that 2024 and 2025 will be so exciting!!!

organic

I've heard Hamilton was not at the meeting
Things might be a bit sour

MinMax
MinMax

Hammerfist wrote:
lol. Keep dreaming.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Luscion wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 16:49
Hammerfist wrote:
Lewis only tested the W15 two days ago, the negotiations for this deal would have likely been a thing for quite a while now, considering he wouldnt have taken this move lightly. I can only see this being a W15 performance issue if it was what made him pull the trigger on an already ongoing negotiation. I'm very interested in what Vasseur offered/showed Hamilton that made him go against him wanting to end his career with Mercedes, or perhaps a falling out with Toto?
Hamilton was reported to have been in the simulator earlier this week, so the timing is interesting. Could that sim session have been what got him to sign the Ferrari papers or could it have been influenced by the Haynes guy who has returned to work with him telling him he needed to think more about himself and life after Mercedes?
Last edited by AR3-GP on 01 Feb 2024, 17:01, edited 1 time in total.

MinMax
MinMax

organic wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 16:51
I've heard Hamilton was not at the meeting
Things might be a bit sour
Why whould he be at the meeting anouncing he thinks he's got a better chance eleshere.

Was he at the team meeting at Mclaren when they anounced internally he was off?

MinMax
MinMax

AR3-GP wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 17:00
Luscion wrote:
Hammerfist wrote:
Hamilton was reported to have been in the simulator earlier this week, so the timing is interesting. Could that sim session have been what got him to sign the Ferrari papers?
Yes. Hamilton was on the fence after months of negotiations and it was only the sim session 2 days ago that made him decide that yes he'd sign after all. What fantasy land do you lot live on?

Luscion
Luscion

MinMax wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 17:01
AR3-GP wrote:
Luscion wrote:

Hamilton was reported to have been in the simulator earlier this week, so the timing is interesting. Could that sim session have been what got him to sign the Ferrari papers?
Yes. Hamilton was on the fence after months of negotiations and it was only the sim session 2 days ago that made him decide that yes he'd sign after all. What fantasy land do you lot live on?
i agree with you, it doesnt make sense that he'd go into the simulator, not like what he sees and then say screw this i'm going to Ferrari, theres way more to it imo

RonMexico
RonMexico

The brain drain has obviously left its mark

Farnborough
Farnborough

214270 wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 16:41
DGP123 wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 16:29
There’s nothing remotely special about Albon, Gasly or Ocon. They’ve all been tried and tested, and only excel at mid tier teams, when the pressure is off.

IMO, they need to be bold and go for Antonelli. He’s massively hyped, as Max was, and he was fast tracked. If you’re good enough, you are old enough. No point playing safe now Mercedes aren’t at the front of F1
Mick’s another.

He might be a stop gap.
Yeh....if they want various half bits of Mercedes scattered across multiple circuits :)

stan_french
stan_french

AR3-GP wrote:
Luscion wrote:
Hammerfist wrote:
Hamilton was reported to have been in the simulator earlier this week, so the timing is interesting. Could that sim session have been what got him to sign the Ferrari papers or could it have been influenced by the Haynes guy who has returned to work with him telling him he needed to think more about himself and life after Mercedes?
Bretherin, If he signed it's probably not just based on one sim session. He's been on that team since forever, and it would seem he's been courted also for a while by Ferrari, so let's not jump to conclusions. There's a dimension that could be the car, but it will not be the sole or main reason for that