2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Alonsismo
Alonsismo

Re: 2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

DGP123 wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 16:23
Cs98 wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 16:13
Verstappen might look at this and fancy a go after Lewis retires.
Vettel went and failed
Alonso went and failed
Hamilton went and failed
Verstappen went and failed

Imagine in 2032 or something and looking back at this Ferrari line up over the past years, and Kimi was still the last WDC.

Surely at some point Ferrari get it right. Has Lewis timed it right? Just intriguing and a gamble that I think the sport needed to reignite a spark into what has been a drab period of late.
fernando didnt failed at ferrari
ferrari failed fernando

3 points... that was what separated him from the tittle in 2012 with the 4th car

wiktor977
wiktor977

Wouter wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 16:56
Big news. Almost like they want to stop people from talking about Andretti drama all the time.

dren

Alonsismo wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 18:02
3 points... that was what separated him from the tittle in 2012 with the 4th car
I think it was Petrov that separated him from that title.
Honda!

Venturiation
Venturiation

Sainz is going to Williams

F1NAC

Alonsismo wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 18:02
DGP123 wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 16:23
Cs98 wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 16:13
Verstappen might look at this and fancy a go after Lewis retires.
Vettel went and failed
Alonso went and failed
Hamilton went and failed
Verstappen went and failed

Imagine in 2032 or something and looking back at this Ferrari line up over the past years, and Kimi was still the last WDC.

Surely at some point Ferrari get it right. Has Lewis timed it right? Just intriguing and a gamble that I think the sport needed to reignite a spark into what has been a drab period of late.
fernando didnt failed at ferrari
ferrari failed fernando

That car had solid race pace. Are you forgetting crashing into Kimi in Suzuka?

JPower
JPower

Venturiation wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 18:32
Sainz is going to Williams
He's not going to Williams. :lol:

At the very least Audi Sauber would boot either of their drivers to get him for 2025. Should be a strong candidate for Mercedes and RB as well.

Venturiation
Venturiation

After Mercedes lost Loic Serra, it was he who was decisive for Lewis to move to Ferrari.

More engineers will also accompany Lewis and Serra.

Serra left because he disagreed with Eliott on the W13 and W14 projects

S D

I imagine that this brings the discussion of CL vs CS, that has been going on for the last two years, to a close... there is no doubt who Ferrari thinks is the better driver.

Luscion
Luscion

from Kemal Şengül, Motorsport TR chief editor
Wolff made the announcement virtually, as he was in Milan. This shows that the news was unexpected for him too. However, Hamilton and Ferrari were in contact in the background. Hamilton's - minimum 2-year - deal is expected to be announced by 22 today.

nico5

S D wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 18:46
I imagine that this brings the discussion of CL vs CS, that has been going on for the last two years, to a close... there is no doubt who Ferrari thinks is the better driver.
As if there was a doubt ever.

JPower
JPower

S D wrote:
The fact that there was a discussion is a reason why Lewis was courted by Ferrari.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

JPower wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 19:05
S D wrote:
The fact that there was a discussion is a reason why Lewis was courted by Ferrari.
It would only lead to LH vs CL comparisons however. I think if anything, this will force Leclerc to iron and vanquish any demons he has left. He will need to be at the peak of his powers if he hopes to lead Ferrari.

SoulPancake13
SoulPancake13

What people need to realize regarding Leclerc's role in the team is that when you are as talented as he is, you back yourself against anyone - including Lewis. I'm sure he relishes the challenge: you don't get rated for just racing with the best, you must beat them. In his second year of F1 he decided to go to Vettel's team and matched him, eventually beating him handily. Charles would have known that Lewis would join if he was to sign a long term contract with the team. Anyways, what really matters first and foremost is that the car is good, which I am hopeful for.

Cs98
Cs98

AR3-GP wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 19:08
JPower wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 19:05
S D wrote:
It would only lead to LH vs CL comparisons however. I think if anything, this will force Leclerc to iron and vanquish any demons he has left. He will need to be at the peak of his powers if he hopes to lead Ferrari.
IMO this is exactly what Leclerc needs. I feel like he has been a mix of brilliant, lethargic, and mistake prone in the last 3 years. He needs to be more consistent, make the most out of the weekends where he is not feeling the car as well. Hamilton will force him to be that. In a sense Hamilton reminds me of Sainz, two guys who usually maximise their points haul, with Lewis having more natural talent.

Vanja #66

Now that we have a de facto confirmation coming from Merc factory, it's worth pointing out a few things.

The most important aspect of this transfer is Hamilton's age. Starting his first season with Ferrari, he will be 40. Is he past his prime? Hard to argue he is still peaking. His 2022 was downright depressing even for those who are not his fans, making his 2023 all the more impressive (and equally disappointing from Russell, who wasn't just unlucky more often, but outright beaten) so why make this move?

At his age and having achieved what he already achieved, it's incredibly hard to keep the focus and motivation as high as necessary to compete with the young guns. Just ask Djoković, Federer and Nadal (although tennis is a much more physical sport than F1) how much it takes... In Motorsport, switching teams is like falling in love again, it's refreshing, intriguing, invigorating, nerve racking - everything it takes to get the blood flowing and energising yourself. Switching teams near the end of a career is possibly a bit like mid-life crisis, but that just means it could make that much bigger difference.

Will Hamilton lose anything with this move? Absolutely not. Even if he gets slammed by Leclerc the way Rosberg slammed Schumi, no one can take away all his achievements so far and let's be honest - that's not really gonna happen. If he wins a few races, he will do it after (most likely) 3 or 4 years since his last win and it will be amazing. If he gets to win the title, he will be glorified all over the world and truly establish himself as the undisputed GOAT.

Will Leclerc lose anything with this move? Absolutely not. Even if he gets slammed by Hamilton, he will be slammed by the most successful F1 driver ever and let's be honest - that's not really gonna happen. If he is realistically about equal overall with a 40-year-old Hamilton past his prime, it will show he's good but should learn what needs to be improved. And if he is better than Hamilton and gets a title with Hamilton as team mate, it will show his greatness and level for all to see and no one could say he just had the best car.

Will Ferrari lose anything with this move? Absolutely not. Even the pay Hamilton will get will be turned into profit with strong merchandising efforts. If Hamilton is better and possibly wins his 8th title with Ferrari, it will be an amazing story and a truly historical moment. If Leclerc is better and possibly wins his 1st title with Hamilton as team mate, it will show Ferrari made the right call in trusting the future of the team to him.

Additionally, with Hamilton onboard Ferrari will get a decent boost of political power (especially in GB), which should not be underestimated. His move will also be a strong nod to all the engineers and other staff Ferrari is hiring and it seems the things are already well in motion. Vasseur has been rebuilding the team quietly and this is a big wing for him internally and externally. Many things will fall in line a lot easier now. Finally, they are dealing a huge blow to one of their big rivals and have most likely effectively taken them out of the future title fights for a while.

As far as they are all concerned - it's a win-win-win situation. Will there be a clear number 1? With a 7-time-champion joining and a long-term committed young prodigy you'd be daft to do it. And the people without the right understanding and awareness of team dynamics are no longer in Ferrari.

Where does this leave Sainz? No idea and I hope he finds a place where he gets the status he so much desires. He should be mindful of how he brings his Maranello tenure to a close, it might just make or break the rest of his career.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie